Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought on hanging cut/whole herring under a float?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought on hanging cut/whole herring under a float?

One thing I never tried for while fishing for salmon from shore was hooking up a herring with about 10-20ft of line under a float and just let it drift along with the tide. Obviously a live herring would be better I would think but I would think that dead should work as well. After watching some mackerel being caught and some videos of salmon feeding off a bait ball, it looked like any herring that got injured got snapped up pretty quick. Anyone tried doing this and have any luck with it? Figured it would be a way to keep on fishing while doing other things like setting up camp, putting together other tackle, tying flies, whatever.

I'm sure this would work for silvers.

My preferred method for fishing for them is to toss a whole trolling herring on a mooching rig out and just letting it drift free. I try to keep too much slack from building up and give it a few cranks now and then to get it off the bottom and add movement, and I've had incredible success even when everyone around me is catching nothing.

Comment

Only issue with that is the Regs require the line be closely attended, not worth the fine.
      sigpic
      07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
      115 Yamaha
      Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
      Airmar TM 260-MM

Comment

I would be within feet of the rod. This would also free me up to fly fish while keeping another rod in the water as per the two rod per person rule. I was planning on trying this out for kings too.

Comment

Originally posted by SemperFi View Post
          This would also free me up to fly fish while keeping another rod in the water as per the two rod per person rule.
          Where are you at that they allow 2 rods per person?
          I know it is not allowed in Southcentral.
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

South East in the salt. If I am reading the regs wrong, please correct me. Far as I can tell though it's two rods unless that doesn't apply to fishing from shore.

Comment

South East in the salt. If I am reading the regs wrong, please correct me. Far as I can tell though it's two rods unless that doesn't apply to fishing from shore.

2 rods in the winter. Summer is one rod.
              Alaska Wide Open Charters
              www.alaskawideopen.com
              907-965-0130

Comment

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1334&year=2011
                I believe this expands on this rule. Sorry, should have specified Juneau.

Comment

Now you have me trying to figure out how to cast a float with bait on a 20 foot leader......

Comment

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1334&year=2011
                    I believe this expands on this rule. Sorry, should have specified Juneau.
                    Where are you thinking of trying that? If at DIPAC, it may be difficult because of the amount of garbage fish around....

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                      Now you have me trying to figure out how to cast a float with bait on a 20 foot leader......
                      Carefully. Did sort of the same thing down here for sharks off the beach. You got to kind of swing it like a whip. Not super easy or a ton of distance but doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.No View Post
                        Where are you thinking of trying that? If at DIPAC, it may be difficult because of the amount of garbage fish around....
                        No, there are some other spots I frequent that are a lot less crowded. Not sure if I'll still have that problem their but at least I won't be pissing off the hoards of people fishing around me like at DIPAC.

Comment

Carefully. Did sort of the same thing down here for sharks off the beach. You got to kind of swing it like a whip. Not super easy or a ton of distance but doable.
                          Yeah, I suppose if you have room to do it that way, why not? I was thinking a slip-rig of some sort, but still hadn't come up with a great plan. I'm thinking if you can get the bait down 8-10 feet you'd have a very good shot at any passing salmon. I am toying with the idea of using a kite or balloon to carry my bait out from shore a better distance and then having a release just drop it. Small rubber band could work. One sharp tug to break it....

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                            Yeah, I suppose if you have room to do it that way, why not? I was thinking a slip-rig of some sort, but still hadn't come up with a great plan. I'm thinking if you can get the bait down 8-10 feet you'd have a very good shot at any passing salmon. I am toying with the idea of using a kite or balloon to carry my bait out from shore a better distance and then having a release just drop it. Small rubber band could work. One sharp tug to break it....
                            Ballon and a small piece of candy cane or anything else that will dissolve easily in water to release the line from the balloon. Use to do it shore casting on the east coast all the time.

Comment

I have used this method out of Valdez and gotten a lot of silvers. I use a slip float like this one- http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104336280 I rig it up with a bobber stop and bead, then the slip float, then an egg sinker (1/2oz), a barrel swivel, and lastly a hook about 2ft from the barrel swivel. You can run it as deep as you want by just moving the bobber stop up or down on your line, and they cast right through your guides no problem.

I usually try and run the bait anywhere from 10-25ft down. It can get pretty exciting when your combat trolling and a silver takes it though, as they usually go sideways with it. Gotta keep an eye out for boats that will run over your line.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X