Looking for a Whyrlybird Rod Huki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Whyrlybird Rod Huki

Does anyone know if there is a shop in the Anchorage area that has one or more of these? A buddy and I used one last summer out of Deep Creek.

http://www.tackledirect.com/whyrlybirdhuki.html

Thanks!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I think it would be easy to made one out of some plastic pipe & fittings, cover with pipe insulation???
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Comment

Youi're thinking right, Potbuilder! I made one out of PVC and tennis racquet wrap. Already had the arms from our garden trellis leftovers. Bought the joint at HD for a buck or less. Wrap came from wally world. One could use the foam pipe insulation, I suppose. I wanted mine to be a sticky- grippy-do-hickey.

The real deal can be had from Bass Pro-Shop or the Huki website. Starts at $42 and goes up. I spent less than a Lincoln. I can also run a bungie cord through mine and tie it around my waist to slide it out of the way when not in use. I have two fighting belts - BOTH dig in during use and the do-hickey is more than twice as comfy to use. A hunk of pool noodle also works well with just a one foot or less section with a hole cut in the side. Another option which I may try is the Scotty Hammerhead. Looks like a better design than the Huki IMO.

SteveO

Comment

I used ABS with 22.5 deg Street L to give it a little bit of angle. I also put the pipe foam on it for a bit of padding and wrapped it in raquet wraps. Should perform well. I will post pictures when I get back from my trip.
        When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

That's a pretty genius little addition. I may have to copy that.

Sure could have used something like that a week ago on our halibut charter...after about 50 reel-ups from 260 ft I could barely hold the rod.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X