Who's using chipped trolling rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Switch to Brad's super cut plugs, and you will never go back to anything else ~ hootchies, herring cut plugs or whole herring, apex's, spoons and etc. Its the only thing I fish anymore for Salmon.
    I've got a pile of those things, and still haven't caught a king on them! Flash/hooch is hot this year! It'd be tough to beat o39r.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

Comment

thanks! I'll give them a shot.

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
      Here they are: Hot Spot Apex

The chip folks make their version, but I've already commented on them. Basically, they're not as good as herring for kings, but darned close. Better when your herring is getting mobbed by cod or rockfish because the Apex are "re-usable" and you don't have to keep rerigging, much less run out. Trolling them alongside Coyotoes, they almost always win for me. Some folks like them and some don't. As always, folks have their favorite lures and Apex is tops for me.

My favorite for kings on overcast days or chop on the water is #83. Sunny days and calm water I go for #82. Best overall for silvers is #210, but with overcast #86 can be just as hot. Average king fishing I like the A4 or A5 size, but early in the season when big herring are around I have better luck with the A7. Silvers are mostly on A3 and A4. One-size-fits-all is probably the A4.

A couple of things I'll add. I don't like their hooks and leaders. I always rerig with a larger hook, better swivel and heavier leader. My go-to leader is 50# PLine copolymer, and if I could get 40# I'd use that instead. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Mustad #95170 siwash. I bet they only have 20# leader and 2/0 hooks in the package.
      www.alaskawideopen.com
      907-965-0130

Comment

Flashers, they do indeed work. They are LED devices that strobe within the lure or attach outside of the bait presention to bring the curious fish to the hook.

No. I am not in the business. I sold that business. The current owner now advertises on this very directory. The product line continues to evlove and continues to improve, and yes, it is Chinese technology.

If you are an armchair skeptic, I don't mind, but I will tell you this: In control situations of same location with same bait, those that were presented with flasher inducement outcaught those without on a 3:1 margin. It was through the ice, and on fixed tip-ups. It doesn't get more controlled than that. These were not my measurements as the former owner. These were the measurements of a pleased consumer. This information is documented in photos and narrative, as well as other endorsements. Simply put, the industry is changing, and there is supportive truth of that change.

And please, don't harangue me about China. Unless you have been there, lived with the people and worked alongside the factory workers, spent money and have done international commerence with them, your opinion is armchair. Yet, it is still your entitlement to have an opinion, and you can take that into the Global Discussion Forum if you so wish.

Back to fishing and flashing; I mentioned the product line is improving and in perpetual development. I asked the new owner for samples to bring with me to test in Kodiak and that trip is now less than a month away. I'm not being paid to test, I have no vested interest, I am simpy curious to examine the results of my of my first trip to Beijing of July 2005 when I sweated out the intial development of the start of the product line. The new owner will have the results. For certain he'll post them on his website, and anyone can view them.

China offers vast opportunity in the fishing industry simply because they make many of the components used in it. I am returning to Beijing in less than eight months to investigate some of these posibilities first-hand. I'm flying First Class from Tampa to Chicago and Business Class Elite from Chicago to Beijing. Round trip, the cost of that ticket on American Airlines was $7,565.00. I did it with mile saver miles and only paid $40.00 in taxes for the flights. It's amazing how "full" life can be if you take the time to figure out how to fill it.

There is a world of fishing opportuniy out there that has decent application in Alaska. I am fortunate to have been on the discovery end of the line and am more than pleased to share what I learn to those who wish to cast with it...

Rosenberg/Florida
        "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Comment

Huh? Florida dude say what?

Originally posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
          Flashers, they do indeed work. They are LED devices that strobe within the lure or attach outside of the bait presention to bring the curious fish to the hook.

No. I am not in the business. I sold that business. The current owner now advertises on this very directory. The product line continues to evlove and continues to improve, and yes, it is Chinese technology.

If you are an armchair skeptic, I don't mind, but I will tell you this: In control situations of same location with same bait, those that were presented with flasher inducement outcaught those without on a 3:1 margin. It was through the ice, and on fixed tip-ups. It doesn't get more controlled than that. These were not my measurements as the former owner. These were the measurements of a pleased consumer. This information is documented in photos and narrative, as well as other endorsements. Simply put, the industry is changing, and there is supportive truth of that change.

And please, don't harangue me about China. Unless you have been there, lived with the people and worked alongside the factory workers, spent money and have done international commerence with them, your opinion is armchair. Yet, it is still your entitlement to have an opinion, and you can take that into the Global Discussion Forum if you so wish.

Back to fishing and flashing; I mentioned the product line is improving and in perpetual development. I asked the new owner for samples to bring with me to test in Kodiak and that trip is now less than a month away. I'm not being paid to test, I have no vested interest, I am simpy curious to examine the results of my of my first trip to Beijing of July 2005 when I sweated out the intial development of the start of the product line. The new owner will have the results. For certain he'll post them on his website, and anyone can view them.

China offers vast opportunity in the fishing industry simply because they make many of the components used in it. I am returning to Beijing in less than eight months to investigate some of these posibilities first-hand. I'm flying First Class from Tampa to Chicago and Business Class Elite from Chicago to Beijing. Round trip, the cost of that ticket on American Airlines was $7,565.00. I did it with mile saver miles and only paid $40.00 in taxes for the flights. It's amazing how "full" life can be if you take the time to figure out how to fill it.

There is a world of fishing opportuniy out there that has decent application in Alaska. I am fortunate to have been on the discovery end of the line and am more than pleased to share what I learn to those who wish to cast with it...

Rosenberg/Florida
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

Who? what? Huh? How? Say? um? ya?
            Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
            Kodiak, AK
            www.alaska-fish.com
            https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

Well If we are going to talk about all types of flashers, I would like to discuss the 21+ type that work best in drinking establishments that attract crowds.

All kidding asside, I have not noticed a difference when trolling for kings or silvers. As long as the flasher and bait can maintain good action it seems to work all the same.
              "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Comment

Stay in China please

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X