Who's using chipped trolling rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's using chipped trolling rigs?

Anyone using E chips on their trolling rigs? I've heard mixed reviews, still wondering if it's all hype. Oh, and I might as well ask about black boxes while I'm at it, never used either.

I've caught fish on em, the green glow, wether it was the chip or not only the fish will know.
    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

I'm considering a black box, but chips are hype, IMO
      Alaska Wide Open Charters
      www.alaskawideopen.com
      907-965-0130

Comment

The chiped flashers work GREAT, as long as you take the chip out!
        www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

They work about as good as a non-chipped flasher..(grin)
          www.alaskawideopen.com
          907-965-0130

Comment

Ya, I don't buy the whole "chip" thing. But if I find clips dirt cheap, in the right colors, they get bought.

Blaze N Abel Charters
            Kodiak, AK
            www.alaska-fish.com

Comment

I've only seriously tested the chipped alternative to Apexes. Don't remember the name, but I've fished the same colors side by side and watched their action in the water. Basically, the chipped ones have a little narrower and faster wiggle than the Apex. Sometimes they work as well as Apex, mostly not quite as well or a lot worse. I've never had them outfish Apex. But I think the diff is due to the action and not the chip. Dunno about the flashers.
              "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
              Merle Haggard

Comment

Tell me about those apex's! I've never used any, but this old dog likes a few new tricks!
                www.alaskawideopen.com
                907-965-0130

Comment

Looks kinda like a real flat flatfish. 2 holes on it, one in the lip, one in the tail. Leader get thread through teh lip, then through the tail, then hok ties on. Normally comes with it pre rigged with a 6' leader. I like to chop that off and shorten it down to 2" for easy of storage. Or you can jst rig it straight on the mainline everytime. Works somewhat like a flatty as well, just wobbles tighter in the water and can troll it faster as well.

Blaze N Abel Charters
                  Kodiak, AK
                  www.alaska-fish.com

Comment

Originally posted by 270ti View Post
                    Tell me about those apex's! I've never used any, but this old dog likes a few new tricks!
                    Here they are: Hot Spot Apex

The chip folks make their version, but I've already commented on them. Basically, they're not as good as herring for kings, but darned close. Better when your herring is getting mobbed by cod or rockfish because the Apex are "re-usable" and you don't have to keep rerigging, much less run out. Trolling them alongside Coyotoes, they almost always win for me. Some folks like them and some don't. As always, folks have their favorite lures and Apex is tops for me.

My favorite for kings on overcast days or chop on the water is #83. Sunny days and calm water I go for #82. Best overall for silvers is #210, but with overcast #86 can be just as hot. Average king fishing I like the A4 or A5 size, but early in the season when big herring are around I have better luck with the A7. Silvers are mostly on A3 and A4. One-size-fits-all is probably the A4.

A couple of things I'll add. I don't like their hooks and leaders. I always rerig with a larger hook, better swivel and heavier leader. My go-to leader is 50# PLine copolymer, and if I could get 40# I'd use that instead. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Mustad #95170 siwash. I bet they only have 20# leader and 2/0 hooks in the package.
                    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                    Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                      A couple of things I'll add. I don't like their hooks and leaders. I always rerig with a larger hook, better swivel and heavier leader. My go-to leader is 50# PLine copolymer, and if I could get 40# I'd use that instead. My favorite hook is the 7/0 Mustad #95170 siwash. I bet they only have 20# leader and 2/0 hooks in the package.
                      Apexes are popular down here in San Francisco. We usually re-rig with 40# and a 6/0 Mustad Siwash hook. Reaming out the holes the line goes through is a good idea too; there can be some sharp edges in there, particularly on the metallic colored ones. Watermelon is a popular color down here. I also see it occasionally around Elfin Cove. We often run them behind flashers on a 4' to 5' leader.

Comment

Originally posted by vaaler View Post
                        Apexes are popular down here in San Francisco. We usually re-rig with 40# and a 6/0 Mustad Siwash hook. Reaming out the holes the line goes through is a good idea too; there can be some sharp edges in there, particularly on the metallic colored ones. Watermelon is a popular color down here. I also see it occasionally around Elfin Cove. We often run them behind flashers on a 4' to 5' leader.
                        Amen on the reaming. And we rig them pretty much the same behind a flasher. Never tried the watermelon, but I know where I can get some. Thanks for the heads up!
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

If I had one color to pick for salmon and trout, great lakes or west coast, it'd be Watermelon.

Blaze N Abel Charters
                          Kodiak, AK
                          www.alaska-fish.com

Comment

Switch to Brad's super cut plugs, and you will never go back to anything else ~ hootchies, herring cut plugs or whole herring, apex's, spoons and etc. Its the only thing I fish anymore for Salmon.
                            In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                              I've only seriously tested the chipped alternative to Apexes. Don't remember the name, but I've fished the same colors side by side and watched their action in the water. Basically, the chipped ones have a little narrower and faster wiggle than the Apex. Sometimes they work as well as Apex, mostly not quite as well or a lot worse. I've never had them outfish Apex. But I think the diff is due to the action and not the chip. Dunno about the flashers.

Thats good to know. Funny thing is Walmart was selling a bunch of Apexs on sale this winter, probably to get rid of overstock for the year so I bought a few cause they looked good but they were unchipped. Sounds like I have something to add to the arsenal.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X