Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater fly reel

What is a good fly reel for salt water?

Can't go wrong with an Islander for a very good reel that is reasonably priced.
    If you want the cadilac of saltwater reels get an Abel.
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

what are you planning to fish for, and how much do you want to spend?

Comment

Nver used the Abel's, but I know that all the guys chasing Marlin and tuna run those, if it'll hold those, it'll hold anything up here. I'm running Lamson's Velocity's and haven't had any issues
        Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
        Kodiak, AK
        www.alaska-fish.com
        https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

I use the Daiwa mooching reels with braided line so that I can fish deeper on a 10 weight fly rod. what a blast.

Later
          Moose

Comment

Been using a Ross Canyon, no issues, good drag.
            BK
            BK Marine Services 232-6399
            Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
            Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
            Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by vaaler View Post
              what are you planning to fish for, and how much do you want to spend?
              I'm going to use it on the Texas coast for Redfish. I know if I get one that can make it AK it will be good for TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Abel View Post
                Nver used the Abel's, but I know that all the guys chasing Marlin and tuna run those, if it'll hold those, it'll hold anything up here. I'm running Lamson's Velocity's and haven't had any issues
                I was wondering. I have a Lamson Radius, but wasn't sure if it would work. Was thinking of a solitude reel.

Comment

The wife wk'd in a fly fishing shop for many yrs and we consequently own quite a variety of reels. She really got to knoe (and fish) the equipment. She swears by her Tibors. We have lots of Abels (good reel), Billy Pate-good made by Tibor, Lamson-descent, Ross', Loomis, Sage, Charlton, Stratos, Loop, and a few others. I know one thing, If u dont immediatly wash your Pluegers really well.....Toast. Stick with the big names if u'r gonna fish salt.
                  Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                  WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by roknjs View Post
                    I'm going to use it on the Texas coast for Redfish. I know if I get one that can make it AK it will be good for TX.
                    I used my 8 wt with my Abel down by Corpus- Flour Bluff, Tx fishing the redfish in 2000. What a blast. Went back to fish it again last year.... most of the access (wade fishing) where we had been was gone. In 3 days fishing as best we could in the same areas we only got 1 speckled. The whole area was way built up and they had some dredging projects going on. We had planned to stay for several wks but hit the rd for the Louisiana coast to fish there and see the sites. Good luck. Let us know how u did.
                    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Originally posted by roknjs View Post
                      I was wondering. I have a Lamson Radius, but wasn't sure if it would work. Was thinking of a solitude reel.
                      That's exactly what I used my Lamson's for, both the 3 and 3.5. One with an intermediate and one a Type 4 sinking. Lots of drum both black and red when I lived in VA Beach. You'll be fine with what you got, jsut wash it. You don't need a 700 dollar reel, just a good corrosion resistant one.
                      Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
                      Kodiak, AK
                      www.alaska-fish.com
                      https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

IMO Able is #1 and Tibor is #2

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X