Harding Lake; One last cast 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harding Lake; One last cast 2011

Ok your not really casting when your vertically jigging, its the best try at the thread title to describe yesterday..

The lake is close, the ice is still thick, and TGIF. Tin foil hat...check, electronics...check, bucket...check...lets go!

Sapper27 is ready and waiting at the boat ramp at O-dark thiry for Alcanron and I to show up. We go to the usual area...about 110 feet deep, punch some holes and drop in. Its warm enough and no wind to speak of, so we opt not to put up a hut and heater. Alcanon is sporting his tin foil hat and all of us are gazing at the colors on his vexilar looking to mark a fish.

Within less than 20 minutes, Ron puts it to work first (ala tin foil hat) and gets a good bite and brings up the first of the lakers for the day. **** hat, helped to draw in the fish and he (I Hate You) caught the first fish of the day.

Now everyone is excited with the early action and yes it did continue, I was next to hook a laker. And then another within 30 minutes. Not to mention a couple good bites in between. So 3 lakers to the surface in about an hour, so we are already talking, wondering it could be over the 5 count day?

Sapper 27 still had yet to even get a bite, when he notices something marking at about 50-60 feet. He puts his to jig to work at about the mark and Wham! Fish ON! drag screaming, and he lifts his broom stick handle (you need a better rod, just saying) of a ice rod and holds on for dear life. good 10-15 minute fight till he gets the brute up and near the hole...what it s not a laker... "I think its a char" repeated over and over trophy class...wow. The old hog is carefully raised and held for some quick pictures and a length measurement...I estimated at about 30-31 inches at the tail fork and "its so faat and heavvy" girth was not measured but I would say at least 24 inches.

High fives all around....The fish was revived and swam off strong. (I to catch it next year?) Yes I am jealous! Good Job Sapper 27!!

Ron caught one more laker and before noon we had caught and released 5 fish.

The bite dissappeared at around 1 pm, so we rolled up and headed back to town. The ice is still good but changing rapidly daily with the daylight and warmer temps. We only saw 3 other vehicles out fishing on the lake. Dreaming of November already!

Tin Foil Hat
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P4220425.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2509584

Example Laker
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P4220440.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2509585
    sigpic
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

"Its so Faat N Heavvy"

sigpic

Comment

Laker 1

Laker 2

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Master but your attachments are not working for me. Good story like always!

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Very nice! I am going to have sunrise service tomorrow at Harding Lake! I can't seem to pull away , heck I even drove out this afternoon to the lake with the wife to check the ice conditions. Looked like most folks walked out to the ice today. I am going by ATV in the morning.

Comment

Absolutely awesome guys!! You three are the epitome of a laker taker. The grin from ear to ear in those pics says it all. The only thing that would have made the day any better is if I was there. Great fish!!

Comment

Sweet fish guys! Awesome trip! Hope you guys have a great spring/summer/fall

Comment

You guys are masters of that lake. I will definately being heading out there next season!
                    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Hot Dang!!! that's a beast of a char. Caught a dolly that was 28" one time trolling kings. Took me for a run on the trolling rod. Got it close to the boat and at first glance thought it might be a shaker king. Got it in the net and said "What???"
                      I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AKnook View Post
                        You guys are masters of that lake. I will definately being heading out there next season!
                        Make sure you bring your tin foil hat LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by AlcanRon View Post
                          Make sure you bring your tin foil hat LOL!
                          Im gonna try and get to harding next winter as well.Maybe I will learn the ways of the force and mind trick a few lakers of my own lol.
                          There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

We will be there. I can't wait. It actually made the winter go by fast.

Comment

Originally posted by AlcanRon View Post
                              We will be there. I can't wait. It actually made the winter go by fast.
                              Umm quick question AlcanRon.... Do I need to wear a tin foil hat in order to catch Lakers?
                              There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X