Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

My family has augers that were used in making sleds for old logging steam donkeys. Also were used for diesel yarders on sleds. The augers are hand operated and several feet long. When I look at them, I imagine my dad and granddad boring those holes through logs to make the sleds. It sure wasn't easy work.
    I love that cool old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
      I also know that I own the rigid octane drill and the 9 amp hour battery that runs it.
      But Rigid no longer makes the 9 amp hour battery.
      So when my 9 amp hour battery finally gives up the ghost I'll have to switch to the 6 amp hour batteries which is what I now carry as a spare or switch drill brands.
      I also know that many of the drill brands will eventually change their battery style again like DeWalt did a few years back.

See, you got me all nervous, today I ordered two new 9AH batteries and a 12 AH.

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post

See, you got me all nervous, today I ordered two new 9AH batteries and a 12 AH.
        There a another option, replace the old cells with new ones you find on the webs.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

There a another option, replace the old cells with new ones you find on the webs.
          Yeah, I see people are doing that. Do you do it? Not sure I want to get into that, but it's an option.

Comment

Yeah, I see people are doing that. Do you do it? Not sure I want to get into that, but it's an option.
            With a user name of MacGyver, I'd say the odds are good!

Comment

By the way, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I've only got a gas-powered earth auger, and while I was entertaining the idea of fitting it with an ice auger I think I may instead go with the Li-ion powered drill.

Tight lines!

Comment

Not for drill battery packs, only because I never needed to. YES for test equipment or radios.

Comment

How to have better luck with the recoil on just about anything. Gently pull the handle to engage the dog before yanking on the handle. A few gentle pulls to turn the engine over will make it easier for subsequent pulls. Don't pull it all the way to the end of the rope. Don't let go of the handle and let it fly back against the machine. They aren't indestructible after all.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

How to have better luck with the recoil on just about anything. Gently pull the handle to engage the dog before yanking on the handle. A few gentle pulls to turn the engine over will make it easier for subsequent pulls. Don't pull it all the way to the end of the rope. Don't let go of the handle and let it fly back against the machine. They aren't indestructible after all.
                    Those are very good tips, and we always try to do those things. Of course, pulling a starter rope at -35* creates it's own challenges. On the other hand, when the warranty guy has to fix 15 to 20 of the same machine a year in Fairbanks alone, there's a problem with the machine.

Comment

I've always used gas augers, Jiffys, Eskimos, and this year will be trying out a Strikemaster 40Volt after several years of research, contemplating and seeing how others fare with it. I think - and hope - that as long as I keep the batteries warm and charged, it should do well, even in the cold of Interior Alaska. Time will tell. Not getting rid of the gas augers just yet! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Skrat View Post
                        I've always used gas augers, Jiffys, Eskimos, and this year will be trying out a Strikemaster 40Volt after several years of research, contemplating and seeing how others fare with it. I think - and hope - that as long as I keep the batteries warm and charged, it should do well, even in the cold of Interior Alaska. Time will tell. Not getting rid of the gas augers just yet! lol
                        I haven't seen that one in action yet. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I haven't seen that one in action yet. Let us know how it goes.
                          I have heard good things about the 40 volt augers. Currently we have been using a combination of 10 inch gas auger and an 8 inch powered by a Milwaukee cordless drill.
                          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I have heard good things about the 40 volt augers. Currently we have been using a combination of 10 inch gas auger and an 8 inch powered by a Milwaukee cordless drill.
                            Me too but I haven't actually used the 10 inch gas auger in about three years. I have three gas augers and will probably always have one.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X