Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post

Here's the thing, when you first get to your house, it's cold in there. One pound propane bottles frost up a lot quicker than you'd think, even if they were warm, straight out of the truck. After two holes in 40 inches of ice, we had an auger that didn't work. They might be fine for other climates where the ice is thinner and the temps are warmer but they haven't worked for us very well at all.

In the interior, if you aint fishing at twenty below, you aint fishing much.

Even our heaters frost up way too soon when using one pound bottles (in the house). We have to convert them all to 20 pounders and the 20 pounders frost up if you don't bring them into the fish house.
    Yeah, that makes sense for sure

Comment

In this video you can watch the Eskimo pistol drill, it's pretty impressive. I personally would never carry a gas auger again. Especially for airplane and snow machine trips it can't be beat. With the auger, drill and batteries, it only weighs a couple of pounds and it out drill a gas auger six ways to Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIizO9-kIhk

Comment

I will always have a gas auger in my arsenal.
        When I'm up at the cabin one of the last things I want to do is to run a generator all night just to charge a battery so I could go fishing the next day.
        With the battery powered augers without battery power I'm not fishing at all.
        But if my gas auger is empty I just have to put more mixed gas in it. Which is easier to store and much easier to come by in remote areas.
        My auger could sit outside for a month at 40 below and the gas isn't going to quit working because of the cold.
        I do like my k drill and when I bought it new the price certainly was right.
        And it's a welcome addition to my ice fishing gear.
        But if I had to only have one it would definitely be the gas auger. Particularly if I was planning on doing any trips outside of the power grid system.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I have a 4" auger for my cordless drill that I use for run and gun fishing off the snow machine. I can fit everything I need on the machine without pulling a sled. If we find a spot we like, we can easily go back with a sled and more equipment.
          Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
            I will always have a gas auger in my arsenal.
            When I'm up at the cabin one of the last things I want to do is to run a generator all night just to charge a battery so I could go fishing the next day.
            With the battery powered augers without battery power I'm not fishing at all.
            But if my gas auger is empty I just have to put more mixed gas in it. Which is easier to store and much easier to come by in remote areas.
            My auger could sit outside for a month at 40 below and the gas isn't going to quit working because of the cold.
            I do like my k drill and when I bought it new the price certainly was right.
            And it's a welcome addition to my ice fishing gear.
            But if I had to only have one it would definitely be the gas auger. Particularly if I was planning on doing any trips outside of the power grid system.

No, it's not required to run a generator all night to charge a battery. I personally would rather run a generator a few hours to charge batteries to go fishing rather than lug one of my heavy gas augers all over the place. Gas augers still have their place, but not for me. The gas generator is quiet, uses almost no gas and we run it each night at the cabin or motor home for other things anyway.

If I was still trapping remotely I would use a gas auger for beaver trapping but I can't think of much else I would use it for. I used to keep a gasser in the truck just as a back-up, but I never used it.

I still own three gas augers and I'm not ready to sell them yet but if I go two or three more years without sparking one up, I'll probl'y get rid of them. They're just taking up room in the pole barn right now.

I've never pulled a starter cord out of my electric and I don't have to breath nasty two cycle fumes any more. My electric always starts. The batteries are easy to keep warm.

Used mine yesterday, got fifteen holes through 30 inches of ice before the first battery started to go down and finished up the day with lots of juice still in the second battery.

To each his own. As for me, I'm almost 100% converted.

Have fun fishing, stay safe and good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the crew.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2778517
            These are the ones we kept out of 32.

Comment

No, it's not required to run a generator all night to charge a battery. I personally would rather run a generator a few hours to charge batteries to go fishing rather than lug one of my heavy gas augers all over the place. Gas augers still have their place, but not for me. The gas generator is quiet, uses almost no gas and we run it each night at the cabin or motor home for other things anyway.

If I was still trapping remotely I would use a gas auger for beaver trapping but I can't think of much else I would use it for. I used to keep a gasser in the truck just as a back-up, but I never used it.

I still own three gas augers and I'm not ready to sell them yet but if I go two or three more years without sparking one up, I'll probl'y get rid of them. They're just taking up room in the pole barn right now.

I've never pulled a starter cord out of my electric and I don't have to breath nasty two cycle fumes any more. My electric always starts. The batteries are easy to keep warm.

Used mine yesterday, got fifteen holes through 30 inches of ice before the first battery started to go down and finished up the day with lots of juice still in the second battery.

To each his own. As for me, I'm almost 100% converted.

Have fun fishing, stay safe and good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the crew.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2778517
              These are the ones we kept out of 32.
              Definitely a to each their own scenario!
              At the cabin we really only run the generator for lights in the morning most of the time.
              And that's only if the small solar panel won't keep the battery up.
              Even though it's a quiet little Honda it's so quiet up there you can definitely hear it humming all night even though it's running down by the shed. It's nice to have the quiet.
              And it would really just be a waste to run it just to charge an auger battery.
              We've got wood heat and not much electric stuff.
              Also because of the big lake trout I wouldn't want smaller than a 10-in auger.
              Well I've got a 10 inch gas auger that works great.
              So I would have to spend hundreds of dollars for the 10-in Ion.
              We fish out of portables as a permanent fish house just isn't practical for us.
              So we mark out the holes drill them then put the shack over the top.
              So we're not filling our shack full of fumes.
              Last time I went fishing it was around home not at the cabin and my k drill worked fine especially since we got on the fish right away.
              I only drilled four holes and really only needed the first two.
              I caught in the neighborhood of 50 fish and my buddy Jim caught around 30.
              But the biggest ones weren't a whole lot bigger than the ones in your picture.
              So we had no trouble getting them in the 7.5" holes from my K-Drill.
              But up at the cabin there's potential for lake trout over 20 lb. Also it's cold and the ice gets thick.
              So a 10-in gas auger just fits the bill for us.
              It's within my budget to have both so I do.
              There is only one 10-in electric auger on the market currently so keep that in mind if a person needs a 10 inch.
              And that's Eskimo Ion auger
              Whether you need a 10-in because it's cold and your holes close up fast or you're leaving lines overnight or because of the size of the fish or.....
              There are several brands of 10-in gas augers.
              If an 8-inch works for you there's many brands on the market in both gas, propane, and electric.
              Like I said if it's dirty river ice on the Yukon that's a concern then get one with chipper blades as they will stay sharp longer than shaver style blades.
              And your access to electricity or a generator will definitely determine whether an electric auger will work for you or not.

Comment

Definitely a to each their own scenario!
                At the cabin we really only run the generator for lights in the morning most of the time.
                And that's only if the small solar panel won't keep the battery up.
                Even though it's a quiet little Honda it's so quiet up there you can definitely hear it humming all night even though it's running down by the shed. It's nice to have the quiet.
                And it would really just be a waste to run it just to charge an auger battery.
                We've got wood heat and not much electric stuff.
                Also because of the big lake trout I wouldn't want smaller than a 10-in auger.
                Well I've got a 10 inch gas auger that works great.
                So I would have to spend hundreds of dollars for the 10-in Ion.
                We fish out of portables as a permanent fish house just isn't practical for us.
                So we mark out the holes drill them then put the shack over the top.
                So we're not filling our shack full of fumes.
                Last time I went fishing it was around home not at the cabin and my k drill worked fine especially since we got on the fish right away.
                I only drilled four holes and really only needed the first two.
                I caught in the neighborhood of 50 fish and my buddy Jim caught around 30.
                But the biggest ones weren't a whole lot bigger than the ones in your picture.
                So we had no trouble getting them in the 7.5" holes from my K-Drill.
                But up at the cabin there's potential for lake trout over 20 lb. Also it's cold and the ice gets thick.
                So a 10-in gas auger just fits the bill for us.
                It's within my budget to have both so I do.
                There is only one 10-in electric auger on the market currently so keep that in mind if a person needs a 10 inch.
                And that's Eskimo Ion auger
                Whether you need a 10-in because it's cold and your holes close up fast or you're leaving lines overnight or because of the size of the fish or.....
                There are several brands of 10-in gas augers.
                If an 8-inch works for you there's many brands on the market in both gas, propane, and electric.
                Like I said if it's dirty river ice on the Yukon that's a concern then get one with chipper blades as they will stay sharp longer than shaver style blades.
                And your access to electricity or a generator will definitely determine whether an electric auger will work for you or not.

When I do some more remote ice fishing with snow machine, I'd use the gas auger but I'm pretty sure any Alaska fresh water fish is going through an eight inch hole. Certainly a 20 pound laker will, Mine do. A ten inch hole would be nicer on the thirty pound lakers, no doubt. We haven't had any trouble with eight inch hole icing up (in the house) We have ceiling fans, I even hang one in the pop-ups to keep the propane bottles warm and keep the ice holes open. It's not really legal to leave set lines out over night in any of the areas I fish so that's not an issue.

I used to be a huge fan of 10 inch augers (Because I like to look down the hole and put camera down the hole) till I got tired of filling the stationary house full of snow. An eight inch auger makes about half the snow that a ten inch one does. (without doing the math).

Like I said, I'm not completely ready to ditch the 10 inch gassers yet. There are plenty of really good lakes up here with road access where we can drive a truck right where we want to go. We'll just have to see.

Two of my 10 inch gas augers are brand new, they both broke a rewind on the third hole. That's why I have two new ones. My last auger lasted thirty years with no problems but the new ones just don't hold up. The one with the plastic rewind housing came right off of the drill at -30 *, the housing broke. The other one, with the metal housing broke the spring on the third start-up.

Any way, take care.

Comment

I broke a rewind once on one of my gas augers and probably over the years broke the pull cord a couple of times.
                  The cord is an easy fix maybe 5 or 10 minutes time at home to fix that.
                  If I had the wrench/screwdriver on me to remove it I could probably fix the pull cord on the ice in the same time frame. It's just not that difficult.
                  The rewind required I drive to my local small engine shop it was 10 or 12 bucks for a brand new rewind assembly that they had on the shelf.
                  Remove four screws install the new one put the four screws back probably a 3 minute fix not including the time it took me to drive there and pick it up which was probably 15 minutes or so.
                  I certainly wouldn't buy a new auger because the rewind broke. Any small engine shop should have one of those in stock and if they don't have one that fits your auger ordering one from the manufacturer isn't a big deal either.
                  I wouldn't consider any one of those issues a big deal and they are certainly not a common occurrence.
                  Especially since one of my augers has been used for the last 25 years or so.

Comment

I broke a rewind once on one of my gas augers and probably over the years broke the pull cord a couple of times.
                    The cord is an easy fix maybe 5 or 10 minutes time at home to fix that.
                    If I had the wrench/screwdriver on me to remove it I could probably fix the pull cord on the ice in the same time frame. It's just not that difficult.
                    The rewind required I drive to my local small engine shop it was 10 or 12 bucks for a brand new rewind assembly that they had on the shelf.
                    Remove four screws install the new one put the four screws back probably a 3 minute fix not including the time it took me to drive there and pick it up which was probably 15 minutes or so.
                    I certainly wouldn't buy a new auger because the rewind broke. Any small engine shop should have one of those in stock and if they don't have one that fits your auger ordering one from the manufacturer isn't a big deal either.
                    I wouldn't consider any one of those issues a big deal and they are certainly not a common occurrence.
                    Especially since one of my augers has been used for the last 25 years or so.

Here's what happened, since you asked (or didn't). I used a Jiffy for 30 years with no problems. The joints all started to get loose so when you drilled the whole thing was bucking around like trying to hold onto a jack hammer.

I decided to up-grade so I bought an upper-end auger at my local Mom and Pop ($450.00) the first time we went out I had five guys in the truck we drive 80 miles to the lake we like best and start drilling holes to find the depth we want to fish at. On the third start, the plastic rewind comes off of the power head. It's thirty to thirty five below, the wind was howling like it does on Quartz lake.

We were going to set-up one of my stationary houses that require 6 holes equally spaced. We weren't able to do that, we had no choice but to drive all the way back home. It was Christmas eve so the store wasn't open when we got back to Fairbanks. The next business day I brought the machine back to the store where I bought it so I could trade it in and get a machine with a metal rewind housing. The guy there said, "I'm sorry sir, there's nothing I can do for you, you have to bring it to the warranty guy in town to have it fixed" I explained to him that I didn't want this one fixed because I didn't want to take a chance on it breaking again like it did eighty miles from home. He Said "I'm sorry sir there's nothing I can do for you" again, so I brought it to the warranty guy, it's going to take four days to fix it under warranty or I can buy the new rewind for forty bucks and fix it myself.

I left the power head with him to fix and went and bought a new auger with a steel rewind housing from our local chain store for just under $500.00 bucks, because we had some more fishing to do. I felt better that I didn't have a machine with a plastic rewind housing. We got back out to the lake, 80 miles away and on the third pull, the spring in the rewind broke, we didn't even get one hole drilled. It had all metric allen head bolts holding it together so we had to file a screw driver to fit. Its thirty below again and howling again. We can't close the door on the house to keep the heat in (Because we needed the light to see, this is before I started using LED lights in the house) so we're freezing trying to work with mittens on, in an hour and a half we get the rewind fixed. We fish that day.

So now I have a machine with a compromised rewind spring that I didn't trust so I brought it back to the chain store where I bought it, on new years eve, I explained to the guy what happened and he said "I'm not supposed to do this, you're supposed to bring it to the warranty guy (who still had my other power head) but you are a good customer and you spend a lot of money here. If you promise not to tell anybody, I'll switch this one out for you" I was extremely grateful because we had more fishing to do and I didn't want to buy another auger. My time off to fish is precious to me I don't want to waste it going back and forth to the lake for nothing and waiting for the repair guy to fix it. Both of those breaks were on the first time I used the augers.

That's why I have three gas powered augers. I too can change out a rewind in no time, but doesn't solve the problem of having a broken machine miles for home unless I carry extra rewinds. They seem to be making electric power better and better every year and making gas auger power heads cheaper and cheaper every year. Now there are plastic throttles and choke knobs on those power heads as well as rewind housings. I just don't trust them.

A few days later, the warranty guy still hadn't fixed the first auger (He said he fixes 15 to 20 of them a years, not good) so I bought the rewind and fixed it myself. For a while, I carried both of those augers around so I'd have a back-up. Then I bought an electric and carried just one gas auger for a back-up. Now I just carry the electric, two batteries and two drill motors. Combined, all that stuff weighs a lot less than a gas power head, not to mention the can of gas, it takes up a lot less room, and doesn't leak gas into the back of my Excursion, snow go sled or an airplane. For me, it's so much better.

PS, It seems like you may have mistaken me for a mechanical dummy, just so you know, I'm not one, I've had my own machine shop for 22 years, was a tool and die maker before that. I have three patents, I design and build things. I expect the things I buy to hold up at least for more than a day.

We've probably beaten this horse to death, I wish you well.
                    Last edited by mark knapp; 01-18-2022, 13:21.

Comment

Chainsaw for backup.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                        Chainsaw for backup.
                        We've done that in a pinch, and I do use a chainsaw for spear fishing holes but it becomes a really big job about right now. We have something over 25 inches of ice right now and we will have 40 inches before the ice starts to thaw. There's no real perfect answer but we all have the things that work well for us. For me it's the Eskimo pistol.

Comment

Here's what happened, since you asked (or didn't). I used a Jiffy for 30 years with no problems. The joints all started to get loose so when you drilled the whole thing was bucking around like trying to hold onto a jack hammer.

I decided to up-grade so I bought an upper-end auger at my local Mom and Pop ($450.00) the first time we went out I had five guys in the truck we drive 80 miles to the lake we like best and start drilling holes to find the depth we want to fish at. On the third start, the plastic rewind comes off of the power head. It's thirty to thirty five below, the wind was howling like it does on Quartz lake.

We were going to set-up one of my stationary houses that require 6 holes equally spaced. We weren't able to do that, we had no choice but to drive all the way back home. It was Christmas eve so the store wasn't open when we got back to Fairbanks. The next business day I brought the machine back to the store where I bought it so I could trade it in and get a machine with a metal rewind housing. The guy there said, "I'm sorry sir, there's nothing I can do for you, you have to bring it to the warranty guy in town to have it fixed" I explained to him that I didn't want this one fixed because I didn't want to take a chance on it breaking again like it did eighty miles from home. He Said "I'm sorry sir there's nothing I can do for you" again, so I brought it to the warranty guy, it's going to take four days to fix it under warranty or I can buy the new rewind for forty bucks and fix it myself.

I left the power head with him to fix and went and bought a new auger with a steel rewind housing from our local chain store for just under $500.00 bucks, because we had some more fishing to do. I felt better that I didn't have a machine with a plastic rewind housing. We got back out to the lake, 80 miles away and on the third pull, the spring in the rewind broke, we didn't even get one hole drilled. It had all metric allen head bolts holding it together so we had to file a screw driver to fit. Its thirty below again and howling again. We can't close the door on the house to keep the heat in (Because we needed the light to see, this is before I started using LED lights in the house) so we're freezing trying to work with mittens on, in an hour and a half we get the rewind fixed. We fish that day.

So now I have a machine with a compromised rewind spring that I didn't trust so I brought it back to the chain store where I bought it, on new years eve, I explained to the guy what happened and he said "I'm not supposed to do this, you're supposed to bring it to the warranty guy (who still had my other power head) but you are a good customer and you spend a lot of money here. If you promise not to tell anybody, I'll switch this one out for you" I was extremely grateful because we had more fishing to do and I didn't want to buy another auger. My time off to fish is precious to me I don't want to waste it going back and forth to the lake for nothing and waiting for the repair guy to fix it. Both of those breaks were on the first time I used the augers.

That's why I have three gas powered augers. I too can change out a rewind in no time, but doesn't solve the problem of having a broken machine miles for home unless I carry extra rewinds. They seem to be making electric power better and better every year and making gas auger power heads cheaper and cheaper every year. Now there are plastic throttles and choke knobs on those power heads as well as rewind housings. I just don't trust them.

A few days later, the warranty guy still hadn't fixed the first auger (He said he fixes 15 to 20 of them a years, not good) so I bought the rewind and fixed it myself. For a while, I carried both of those augers around so I'd have a back-up. Then I bought an electric and carried just one gas auger for a back-up. Now I just carry the electric, two batteries and two drill motors. Combined, all that stuff weighs a lot less than a gas power head, not to mention the can of gas, it takes up a lot less room, and doesn't leak gas into the back of my Excursion, snow go sled or an airplane. For me, it's so much better.

PS, It seems like you may have mistaken me for a mechanical dummy, just so you know, I'm not one, I've had my own machine shop for 22 years, was a tool and die maker before that. I have three patents, I design and build things. I expect the things I buy to hold up at least for more than a day.

We've probably beaten this horse to death, I wish you well.
                          PS, now the local Mom and Pop gets none of my business and the chain store gets all of our business.

Comment

Well that helps explain it better thanks for taking the time to do that Mark.
                            It seems odd when a person tells you they've got multiple brand new augers and only the rewind is broken.lol
                            Of course you could put a new rewind on those augers and sell them and recoup a bunch of your money I guess.
                            Like I said I've got gas and electric augers.
                            Yes I've had issues with my gas augers in the past.
                            But I think I've had something go wrong at some point with virtually every gas powered machine I've owned.
                            Mostly simple stuff but even my lawn mower has required a new spark plug or some such thing every now and then.
                            I'm not had issues with my electric auger setup but I know one day I'll forget to charge the batteries or leave them at home and that will be an issue.
                            I also know that I own the rigid octane drill and the 9 amp hour battery that runs it.
                            But Rigid no longer makes the 9 amp hour battery.
                            So when my 9 amp hour battery finally gives up the ghost I'll have to switch to the 6 amp hour batteries which is what I now carry as a spare or switch drill brands.
                            I also know that many of the drill brands will eventually change their battery style again like DeWalt did a few years back.
                            Another alternative would be to go with an electric setup that can also be hand cranked.
                            That way if your battery goes dead or your drill just isn't working you can still drill some holes and fish for the day.
                            For that a Nil'sMaster would be a nice setup.
                            Except for the fact that you have to send the auger head to Frank DeLuca in Minnesota to get it sharpened if/when it's needed.
                            Not that other places couldn't sharpen it but they have special tooling to get the angle just right after it's been sharpened as they are a very unique auger head.
                            And Frank is one of the only people in the US with the tooling who is factory authorized to do sharpenings.
                            It's been some good discussion for sure.
                            And I think everybody's individual scenario will determine what works best for them.
                            For me it's owning and using both gas and electric.

Comment

Well that helps explain it better thanks for taking the time to do that Mark.
                              It seems odd when a person tells you they've got multiple brand new augers and only the rewind is broken.lol
                              Of course you could put a new rewind on those augers and sell them and recoup a bunch of your money I guess.
                              Like I said I've got gas and electric augers.
                              Yes I've had issues with my gas augers in the past.
                              But I think I've had something go wrong at some point with virtually every gas powered machine I've owned.
                              Mostly simple stuff but even my lawn mower has required a new spark plug or some such thing every now and then.
                              I'm not had issues with my electric auger setup but I know one day I'll forget to charge the batteries or leave them at home and that will be an issue.
                              I also know that I own the rigid octane drill and the 9 amp hour battery that runs it.
                              But Rigid no longer makes the 9 amp hour battery.
                              So when my 9 amp hour battery finally gives up the ghost I'll have to switch to the 6 amp hour batteries which is what I now carry as a spare or switch drill brands.
                              I also know that many of the drill brands will eventually change their battery style again like DeWalt did a few years back.
                              Another alternative would be to go with an electric setup that can also be hand cranked.
                              That way if your battery goes dead or your drill just isn't working you can still drill some holes and fish for the day.
                              For that a Nil'sMaster would be a nice setup.
                              Except for the fact that you have to send the auger head to Frank DeLuca in Minnesota to get it sharpened if/when it's needed.
                              Not that other places couldn't sharpen it but they have special tooling to get the angle just right after it's been sharpened as they are a very unique auger head.
                              And Frank is one of the only people in the US with the tooling who is factory authorized to do sharpenings.
                              It's been some good discussion for sure.
                              And I think everybody's individual scenario will determine what works best for them.
                              For me it's owning and using both gas and electric.

I have fixed the rewinds on both and keep them in case. Yes, any man made machine is bound to have a problem every now and then. As for lawn mowers, I'll never have a problem with one of them.

The hand crank option for the electric is the best thing I've heard about all day. I'll credit you for it whenever the subject comes up and I'll have one made by the end of today. 40 inches is still a lot of ice to hand drill through though.

A large part of my business for the last 22 years has been sharpening and making custom cutting tools for industry, hence the name "The Cutting Edge" I've made oversized hole saws for HVAC and Hot tap drills for Ayeska, extra long augers for wooden sail boat makers and core drills and titanium saws for glacier research. About all I want to do now is make custom knives.

I just researched the Nil's and it does look overly complicated to sharpen, I'll just adapt a hand crank for the Eskimo pistol. I'll let you know how it works.

Talk to you later.

Comment

I have fixed the rewinds on both and keep them in case. Yes, any man made machine is bound to have a problem every now and then. As for lawn mowers, I'll never have a problem with one of them.

The hand crank option for the electric is the best thing I've heard about all day. I'll credit you for it whenever the subject comes up and I'll have one made by the end of today. 40 inches is still a lot of ice to hand drill through though.

A large part of my business for the last 22 years has been sharpening and making custom cutting tools for industry, hence the name "The Cutting Edge" I've made oversized hole saws for HVAC and Hot tap drills for Ayeska, extra long augers for wooden sail boat makers and core drills and titanium saws for glacier research. About all I want to do now is make custom knives.

I just researched the Nil's and it does look overly complicated to sharpen, I'll just adapt a hand crank for the Eskimo pistol. I'll let you know how it works.

Talk to you later.
                                My family has augers that were used in making sleds for old logging steam donkeys. Also were used for diesel yarders on sleds. The augers are hand operated and several feet long. When I look at them, I imagine my dad and granddad boring those holes through logs to make the sleds. It sure wasn't easy work.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X