2020-21 Ice Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clarktar View Post
    I'm new to Alaska (and Anchroage) and have never been ice fishing. I am starting to see quite a few tents on the ice. Looks like it could be a fun way for my kids to catch their first fish!! If you have any advice or tips you learned (thinking since you recently started ice fishing you might have some good input) I would sure appre kate it! <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
    Hey Clarktar, welcome to Alaska. Ice fishing is a great way to get the kids starting in fishing. Plus it's a great outdoor activity for all in to enjoy in the wintertime. And the good news is, there are plenty of lakes right in downtown Anchorage that are stocked with decent sized trout and char. For starters, you will need some type of auger. Most guys use gas powered ice augers but they are kind of expensive, and nowadays there are a lot more options than when I first started ice fishing 40 years ago. You can even buy augers that can adapt and hook up to an electric drill. You will also need an ice scoop to scoop out the holes of slush, a sled comes in handy for pulling all your gear. a couple ice fishing rods and reels, some simple lead headed jigs, and some shrimp or herring for bait. Start off fishing close to shore in about 5-10 feet of water. If you have a drop off close by that helps. Just be careful of thin ice near outlets and inlets. Good luck and get those kids out there for some trout!

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
      <br/><br/>Hey Clarktar, welcome to Alaska. Ice fishing is a great way to get the kids starting in fishing. Plus it's a great outdoor activity for all in to enjoy in the wintertime. And the good news is, there are plenty of lakes right in downtown Anchorage that are stocked with decent sized trout and char. For starters, you will need some type of auger. Most guys use gas powered ice augers but they are kind of expensive, and nowadays there are a lot more options than when I first started ice fishing 40 years ago. You can even buy augers that can adapt and hook up to an electric drill. You will also need an ice scoop to scoop out the holes of slush, a sled comes in handy for pulling all your gear. a couple ice fishing rods and reels, some simple lead headed jigs, and some shrimp or herring for bait. Start off fishing close to shore in about 5-10 feet of water. If you have a drop off close by that helps. Just be careful of thin ice near outlets and inlets. Good luck and get those kids out there for some trout!
      Thanks. There is a lake really close to our house. I have some old rods reels I will try out. They are not "ice fishing" rods or reels but what the heck. <br/><br/>Maybe I can find a hole unoccupied from a previous ice fishing enthusiast. <br/><br/>Shep and jigs, check! Ice scoop, I'll have to pick one up! Thanks<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

I'm new to Alaska (and Anchroage) and have never been ice fishing. I am starting to see quite a few tents on the ice. Looks like it could be a fun way for my kids to catch their first fish!! If you have any advice or tips you learned (thinking since you recently started ice fishing you might have some good input) I would sure appre kate it! <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
        Getting out on the ice can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be... If it’s just me fishing here in Anchorage I just take my spud bar, scoop, and rods. There’s plenty of holes scattered on any of the Anchorage lakes that are easily chipped out without the need of an auger. I just have a hand crank auger and haven’t used it once this year.

If if I take my 3 kids then i’ll Load up the tent, heater, chairs, and plenty of food to keep them satisfied. Also hand warmers!! My youngest is 3, so I don’t even have any holes inside the tent so she can walk around without sticking her foot in a hole lol.

Most of my ice time is weekday mornings before work. I just spent an hour on Taku (work is 5 minutes away) this morning and caught plenty of land-locked salmon to keep me entertained, plus set up was super simple with it just being me and a couple of buddies.

Comment

Thanks. There is a lake really close to our house. I have some old rods reels I will try out. They are not "ice fishing" rods or reels but what the heck. <br/><br/>Maybe I can find a hole unoccupied from a previous ice fishing enthusiast. <br/><br/>Shep and jigs, check! Ice scoop, I'll have to pick one up! Thanks<br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          Which lake are you close to?

Comment

Lake Louise was 14" plus on the southern end.

Comment

Originally posted by HKYDDY View Post
              Lake Louise was 14" plus on the southern end.
              Same here. Good ice this year, just not much snow yet. Caught some nice burbot and lake trout plus picked up a couple nice cats this weekend. I'll try to post some pics later.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X