Depth Charts/GPS/Humminbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Charts/GPS/Humminbird

Are there GPS units out there or something similar that you can use in your truck or on your sled to see contour lines in the water and your location? Do they have lakes in Alaska on them? I know they are popular in other areas but how about up here? Any recommendations? I have the AK F&G depth charts but itís hard to determine a precise location.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use navionics boating app on my phone and it works great. Can zoom in and also drop pins for hot spots

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Are most lakes up here on there?

Comment

I would say 90-95%. Only one I found not to have anything for is Sand lake in Anchorage. Has every valley lake and Uber lake I've been on. Have been using it for 5 yrs now. Cost maybe $5

Comment

Just downloaded it, the basic/free trial doesnít have much for interior lakes or anything decent along the Rich or Denali Hwy. I wonder if the upgraded version will? I see that lakes near Anchorage and even Lake Louise have substantial maps loaded.

Comment

Which one are you looking for? I'll try to find it and share a picture. Not too familiar with that area though

Comment

Harding, Paxson, Fielding, Summit, etc.

Comment

Sorry couldn't find any with the search function.

Comment

Well crap, thanks for the help!

Comment

Is this the lake?

Comment

That's from the lowerance app and is free. Found Harding lake on it but no depths

Comment

Buddy had a ice Helix 5. Start punching holes and make your own maps. Or go in the summer and troll and make your own. I wouldn't trust much from Navionics up here in the lakes. For instance one of the lakes I fish says it gets over 200 feet which I know isn't true. I did see adfg is starting to do some real mapping and it looks like they are actually doing hydrographic surveying so Contours and lak maps from them should be getting alot better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Navionics actually covers very few northern lakes in detail. Some of what is there is from individual uploads to their system. Lake Louise is a good example...you pay for that region and it charts less than 1/2 in detail.
                          sigpic

Heavy Hitter Fishing
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                            Buddy had a ice Helix 5. Start punching holes and make your own maps. Or go in the summer and troll and make your own. I wouldn't trust much from Navionics up here in the lakes. For instance one of the lakes I fish says it gets over 200 feet which I know isn't true. I did see adfg is starting to do some real mapping and it looks like they are actually doing hydrographic surveying so Contours and lak maps from them should be getting alot better.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Yeah, AKhardwater has something like this you are talking about. I thought it was a garmin product but I could be wrong. Maybe he'll chime in here and give some input. It's pretty cool. He carries it on his boat in the summer and he's made his own maps with it. Very detailed and accurate. Way better than the stuff on the fish and game website.

Comment

Most big name fishing electronics has this feature now. They are just named different things. I have a garmin on my ocean boat that does it. We tried out the ice helix and it seemed to be that when we marked a spot it throws a depth contour thats about a 50 radius around you. So we just drill holes around 40 feet apart and make a map of the area we are interested in quick. doesnt take long and it really helps to figure out where the breaks are.
                              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X