Contaminated fish in some Fairbanks area lakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contaminated fish in some Fairbanks area lakes

Just a reminder that several lakes in the Fairbanks area are closed to sportfishing due to the water/fish being contaminated by Per and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). See the ADFG news release here.

These include Kimberly Lake in North Pole and Polaris Lake on Eielson AFB. The other lakes on Eielson AFB may have similar contamination.

While closures have not been announced for other water bodies, PFAS has also been found in grayling in Moose Creek and Piledriver Slough, and may be contaminating other fish species such as pike and burbot in these water bodies.

Burbot in the Chena and Tanana rivers have been found to be safe. Also, saltwater species and salmon have been found to be free of these contaminants.

Human ingestion of PFAS is associated with numerous health problems including ulcerative collitis, reproductive issues, and birth defects. This is the chemical that was the subject of the recent Hollywood film 'Dark Waters.' PFAS accumulates in fish tissue at concentrations greater than ambient levels (bioaccumulation).

PFAS groundwater contamination is present in multiple communities in Alaska including Fairbanks, North Pole, Gustavus, Barrow, and Dillingham.

Fish in the Salcha, Nenana, and Chatanika Rivers, and Healy Lake, have also been found to have safe/low levels of PFAS. However a pike from Peger Lake in Fairbanks was found to have elevated/potentially unsafe levels of the chemicals.

Comment

Isn't this wonderfull???!!! This poor planet is going to hell in a handbasket.....
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        Isn't this wonderfull???!!! This poor planet is going to hell in a handbasket.....
        We'll be extinct soon enough, and the planet will figure out some new life forms that can survive in the cesspool we left in our wake.
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by Trashmaster View Post
          Just a reminder that several lakes in the Fairbanks area are closed to sportfishing due to the water/fish being contaminated by Per and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). See the ADFG news release here.

These include Kimberly Lake in North Pole and Polaris Lake on Eielson AFB. The other lakes on Eielson AFB may have similar contamination.

While closures have not been announced for other water bodies, PFAS has also been found in grayling in Moose Creek and Piledriver Slough, and may be contaminating other fish species such as pike and burbot in these water bodies.

Burbot in the Chena and Tanana rivers have been found to be safe. Also, saltwater species and salmon have been found to be free of these contaminants.

Human ingestion of PFAS is associated with numerous health problems including ulcerative collitis, reproductive issues, and birth defects. This is the chemical that was the subject of the recent Hollywood film 'Dark Waters.' PFAS accumulates in fish tissue at concentrations greater than ambient levels (bioaccumulation).

PFAS groundwater contamination is present in multiple communities in Alaska including Fairbanks, North Pole, Gustavus, Barrow, and Dillingham.
          #3 on that list of communities here. I am in the “red zone” yet my house is non-detect. I’m lucky.

Not to worry though. DEC has the low bidder Interior environmental firm and their low bidder subs on it. DEC made a pass at blaming it on the city in one case even. Guess they thought for awhile that somehow our volunteer city made DOT use AFFF for airport fire drills.[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
            #3 on that list of communities here. I am in the “red zone” yet my house is non-detect. I’m lucky.
            I was sad to hear about the contamination in your community--I spent two summers working at the national park there and loved the people and the area. The people certainly don't deserve to have to be dealing with this PFAS problem

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X