willow area ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• willow area ice

We fished Friday at a lake near the Nancy lake system. Ice was thin, but solid. I would guess 3-5 inches. However, it was NOISY! We kept hearing lazer noises very similar to the guns off star wars. As well as tons of cracking and pops and booms. Visible cracking all over when we chipped out holes out. Very unnerving, but we were cautious and made sure we had 4 inches before getting to cocky out there. Later on, a guy actually drove past us on his 4-wheeler...yes on the ice. I thought that was a bit stupid..by whatever.

We caught over 20 fish. Trout and char. none over 18, but a couple came close. Great day.

Ya I heard a pot of that this mornig at Biglake lol. Sounds like Martian s are fighting in the ice.

Comment

Given the relatively large footprint of tires versus human feet, a small wheeler will put less pressure on the ground or ice than a human walking

Comment

Doesn't the psi on the tires actually tell you how much weight it puts down per square inch?

Comment

Originally posted by mike h View Post
          Doesn't the psi on the tires actually tell you how much weight it puts down per square inch?
          I'm gonna run mine at zero psi and find out. Should I wear a life jacket?

Comment

Originally posted by mike h View Post
            Mike, the psi inside the tire is how much pressure the air is putting on all the surface area inside (tread, sidewalls, rim). To calculate psi on the ground, it is the weight of the vehicle divided by the contact patch area in sq. inches of all the tires.
            AKmud
            sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

We have been enjoying listening to the lake at the GF's house. Very noisy. Laid on my back on the ice listening and also feeling all that was going on. So cool.
              Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                Mike, the psi inside the tire is how much pressure the air is putting on all the surface area inside (tread, sidewalls, rim). To calculate psi on the ground, it is the weight of the vehicle divided by the contact patch area in sq. inches of all the tires.
                I figured that if there's only 5psi against a particular piece of the tire, then the downward force could only equal the amount of pressure being put on that piece of tire, which would be 5 pounds. Just a guess on my uninformed, non-math inclined part.

Do you have numbers to plug into your equation? I'm curious to see an example.

How do you figure out contact patch?

Comment

Weight of vehicle divided by contact area will be 5psi. The load is still concentrate over a small area, that could be a problem

Comment

The tire pressure only effect the size of the foot print in this discussion. The higher air pressure results in a smaller foot print,the lower air pressure creates a larger foot print.A lower air pressure will create a lower pressure per Sq. in. weight wise on the ice.

Comment

The Internet! I'll spare you the youtube video I watched, but here's Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_pressure

AKmuds point now seems embarrassingly obvious. Weight of thing divided by the amount of the thing touching the ground.

But somehow that "roughly equals" the psi to which the tire is inflated.

Another engineering type site said that "the air carries the load."

Also, beware, Wikipedia says average orv has greater ground pressure than average human. Except that human ground pressure doubles while walking (because one foot is in the air), but it's still less than average wheeled orv.

Abrams tank is also suprisingly low.

Comment

It all depends on tire size. An 8" wide tire at 5psi won't provide as large of contact patch as a 12" wide tire at 5psi. Compare that to the same rig sporting Mat-tracks....0 psi air pressure, but a huge contact patch.
                        AKmud
                        sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Hovercrafts for ice fishing. How has this not happened yet? Sure it's a bit more expensive than a Vexlar, but there's some people pretty deep into ice fishing. You'd be able to fish on half-inch ice (or water).

From a hovercraft entry: "The actual pressure under the craft is always the same - it's the weight of the craft divided by the cushion footprint area."

Comment

Yeah, pretty sure a wheeler is gonna break through thin ice before a person is all I'm saying. Way more weight in a small area.

Comment

Best thread of 2014!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
                              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X