Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does closed bank mean?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what does closed bank mean?

    On the Kenai between RM 23.8 to 24.2 the regs say closed bank, does that mean you can fish from the water while wading, after entering the water from a boat ramp?

  • #2
    A stretch of the intent...but I suspect quite legal. If you really wanted to make it legal, put a bicycle innertube around your waist and squat down while you fish!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe the way it is written "no bank fishing" means within 10 feet of the bank even if you are in the water.
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

      "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

      Comment


      • #4
        Closed Bank--maybe lost your fun-ds

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
          I believe the way it is written "no bank fishing" means within 10 feet of the bank even if you are in the water.
          Almost... The "way it is written" says:

          ... In these areas, fishing is only allowed from a boat located more than 10 feet from the shore and not connected to the shore in any way. Fishing from the bank or in the water within 10 feet of the Kenai River waterline is NOT ALLOWED.
          In other words... you MUST be in a boat AND you must be more than 10 feet from the bank. You may NOT stand in the water.

          This is copied directly from the giant red warning box on page 53 of the regs book, adjacent to the listing of bank closures. We have some very complex regulations on the Kenai River. You need to read every single word in the entire Kenai River regs section and read it several times before you even think about setting up your gear.
          Winter is Coming...

          Go GeocacheAlaska!

          Comment


          • #6
            JOAT is totally correct.You may NOT be in the water in A closed bank section.

            Comment


            • #7
              Too bad it's not enforced that way.

              The "no bank fishing" rules are continually abused/ignored due to inconsistent enforcement. On any given day dozens of folks can be see flippin away in these closed areas. Standing in the water 10 ft from the bank has been tolerated in the past, but what I saw all the time was the folks doing this would eventually hook a fish, then back up and trample the vegetation as they beached their catch. Totally defeats the intent of the rule.

              The idea is to prevent mass trampling of critical riparian habitat.

              Must be why they put the requirement of fishing from a boat in there.
              "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
              sigpic
              The KeenEye MD

              Comment


              • #8
                So the fishing from the boat is new this year, I had not seen it in years past.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
                  The idea is to prevent mass trampling of critical riparian habitat.
                  Perhaps you are correct, as to that being the idea...but it certainly wasn't for the selecton process....of where. It was based solely on the adjacent land owners/managers...appeasement and heavy handedness ruled the day. Conservator's and Govt...nuff said, debate was over a long time ago.
                  "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                  ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So on that stretch of river you cannot fish for reds, as you cannot anchor the boat in July.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gerberman View Post
                      So on that stretch of river you cannot fish for reds, as you cannot anchor the boat in July.
                      I don't think anything says you can't drift by and fish.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Akres View Post
                        Perhaps you are correct, as to that being the idea...but it certainly wasn't for the selecton process....of where. It was based solely on the adjacent land owners/managers...appeasement and heavy handedness ruled the day. Conservator's and Govt...nuff said, debate was over a long time ago.
                        Always good for a conspiracy theory behind any and all regulations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                          Always good for a conspiracy theory behind any and all regulations.
                          Well...lets just say that I don't buy the river mile to river mile concept as based on being Scientifically selected....in the middle reaches of the river....lol
                          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing says you can't anchor in July.... just don't do it in a known navigation lane or where king salmon anglers traditionally drift or backtroll from a powerboat. If in doubt, have a look about for oncoming boat traffic.... you will promptly figure it out. If you err, won't be long for the eventual verbal assault! LOL!

                            Seriously... the best sockeye fishing occurs in nearshore shallows that are NOT conducive to either navigation or king salmon fishing from a powered craft.

                            For the most part, the areas selected for closure (at least in the parts of the lower river I am most familiar) do in fact possess the type of riparian vegetation most in need of protection. There are a few areas where the substrate is predominantly non-vegetated gravel that can be accessed by boat with ZERO measurable trampling impact. These should be reconsidered for re-opening.
                            "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                            sigpic
                            The KeenEye MD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gerberman View Post
                              what does closed bank mean?
                              Bank holidays are usually bad news. Hope you have some cash in the pillow or under the mattress.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X