No announcement yet.

Kepler Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm the fish and game website for one has it as well as the regulation books.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

I've never even been to that lake, but as a rule of thumb in the interior and SC, rainbows in a lake = stocked

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ail&LakeID=210

Comment

i get all that... but what lake... i dont see a lake name anywhere

Comment

Kepler bradley lake.... Its in the title of the thread at the top aktyler
          US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

You would not happen to be from Arizona, would you Matt? Just curious, your name and all...
            To ride, shoot strait and speak the truth. This was the ancient law of youth. Old times are past, old days are done, but the law runs true, oh little son.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.No View Post
              I'm all for C&R, but since it's a stocked lake, what's the diff?
              It takes about 25 years to grow a 20 inch trout....thats the difference, they throw them in at about 6 inches....

BUT, I have to ad mit keeping my share a bigguns, I caught 3 trout over 25 inches last year outta one lake, I kept one and let the others go, I have got a technique down to where, in the past 4 or 5 years, I have caught over 30 trout 20" or bigger out of lakes ( my biggest being 29 1/2), not bad for a farm kid. I kept a couple, and took pictures of only one or 2, and released the rest.
              Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Sorry, I read that last post and it sounded condesending, I didin't mean it that way.

so i guess Dang nice fish! would be the appropriate wording, not many people can catch trout during the spawn, expecially the big ones like that.

And I have to say I'm mad at you, cause I saw that lunker crusing the shores when I was there, and he wouldn't take my rig....grrrrrr.....I guess I can let other people have some glory every once in a while

your next 12 incher is gonna seem pathedick to that.

As for cooking, for ones that big, I eather fillet them like a salmon and BBQ, some times smoke them during the spawn, and sometimes I full thier stomach cavities with stuffing and bake em. on the little ones, I fill thier stomach with onions (after salt and peppering) and roll it in flour and fry till it flakes. MMMM MmMM MMMM MMM good.
                Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
                  Sorry, I read that last post and it sounded condesending, I didin't mean it that way.

so i guess Dang nice fish! would be the appropriate wording, not many people can catch trout during the spawn, expecially the big ones like that.

And I have to say I'm mad at you, cause I saw that lunker crusing the shores when I was there, and he wouldn't take my rig....grrrrrr.....I guess I can let other people have some glory every once in a while

your next 12 incher is gonna seem pathedick to that.

As for cooking, for ones that big, I eather fillet them like a salmon and BBQ, some times smoke them during the spawn, and sometimes I full thier stomach cavities with stuffing and bake em. on the little ones, I fill thier stomach with onions (after salt and peppering) and roll it in flour and fry till it flakes. MMMM MmMM MMMM MMM good.
                  No worries man, just that those are stocked fish...so if you want to keep one, it's not like you're hurting the viability of the population. Either way, just my opinion...

Comment

The stocked fish are sterile (SP?) so they typically don't "spawn out" like a native fish. but they grow a tiny bit faster (like a inch every 5 eyars more)

Comment

The rainbows put into Kepler/Bradley are normally diploid fish so they are as fertile as wild fish. They did put triploid sterile rainbows in there last May, but the rest all the way back to 1998 were normal fish. There's not a risk of them competing with wild fish since there are no outlet streams or marshes to allow them to escape. They don't have a flowing creek with a gravel bed to spawn in, so the eggs don't survive anyway. Those big 28" fish grew the old fashioned, slow way. The triploid sterile fish put into lakes with outlets grow quicker since they aren't wasting energy and protein on eggs, etc.

Comment

I caught the fish in the channel using green power bait. I set a sinker 12-18 inches up the line so the bait floats. I don't usually keep the trout I catch around here but that is my 1st big Alaskan trout (recently moved from Michigan) so I did eat it. Sorry there are a lot of pictures, my wife and I just got a new camera so she went a little overboard.

Comment

Out of curiousity, where in KB have you guys been catching these fish? I've only been there once (just to dink around with someone who couldn't walk far), fished in the channel, and didn't see any fish over 8 inches. I'm not that familiar with the area, so I don't know what is open to the public. I'll understand if no one wants to give up their secrets.
                          Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
                          www.alaskatacklerental.com

Comment

just my opinion- i feel that fish and game needs to really focus on stocking more char in all these lakes.....that way, the population stocks itself (FYI for those not in the know) char can spawn in lakes.....look at all the lakes that theyve stocked with brood stock char....they all have more fish....especially after 7-10 years.......just sayin....the rainbows typically get caught out fairly fast and need to be restocked year after year....If they would cut back on the rainbows and replace them with salmon smolt to stock in the streams with low returns, it might improve them....think about seward/whittier silvers/kings and much more......again- just throwin out an opinion.....bash it all you like
                            sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

I couldn't agree more. such a shame, ADF&G should use a slot limit on the lakes. keep anything from say 8" to 16" and nothing bigger. we would have a lot more nice fish to go around. I never understood wanting to keep a fish because its big. Let it go so you can have the thrill of catching it again or kill it, eat it and wait another 10-15 years for another one to grow that size. Awesome thread right up until the part where i found out you killed it.

Comment

I might be the only guy not mad at you for eating it. Great catch. I for one fish to eat. They are food so keep up the good work.
                                Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X