Quartz and birch lake ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz and birch lake ice

Hello My Alaska Fishing Forum "Family" I have started this thread for those of us who are waiting for the ice to back off around 10-15 feet for the best fishing of the year.If anyone knows of the ice backing up at all they should post it on here.Thank you once again.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Okay I talked to the Delta branch of Fish and game and they say around saturday break-up fishing should be a go.I will be heading that way and hopefully I see a few of you lol.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Heck, I'm waiting on anything that will allow me to "feel the wiggle". I'm new to AK and am anxiously awaiting for these interior lakes to open up. If the local lakes on/around Eielson are any indication, I don't see a lot of open water by Saturday. I'm seeing a couple feet of water around the edges but it refreezes every night. In fact, I saw an Eskimo Quickfish III portable shanty on Bathing Beauty Pond just the other day!

All I can do is prep my pontoon boat, fly rods and other gear....and that's already done. My eastern WA buddies have been hammering them since the first week of March, so at least I get lots of reports to salivate over!

I'm reading that Piledriver Slough and the upper Chena are opening up well, and suspect I'll be tossing flies to grayling before anything else.

Comment

P.S. As a tenderfoot, I just have to ask......is it normal for ice to remain on interior lakes into mid-May?

Comment

Originally posted by Raffpappy View Post
          P.S. As a tenderfoot, I just have to ask......is it normal for ice to remain on interior lakes into mid-May?
          I say it truly depends on the weather leading up to may.I think there will still be ice towards the middle of may but it will be a small amount.

Comment

So has anyone been by Birch or Quartz In the past week? Has the ice backed off at all? I think If I dont hear anything on here in a few days I will check with the Delta Department of fish and game and see whats going on.I hope to see some of you guys out there for break-up fishing.

Comment

Great news everybody Quartz is out about 10 feet according to Delta department of fish and game,Birch however is still iced up to the shore.I guess I will head on out tomorrow morning.Will report back with pictures if all goes good.

Comment

Okay I spoke with the delta branch of fish and game and birch's ice is about 6 feet from the shore while Quartz's Ice is about 12 feet off the shore.Well Tight Lines and good luck to everyone.I will be heading out saturday morning at about 4 am.If you would like a ride or anything else PM me.

Comment

I'm seeing roughly the same thing on Eielson's lakes. Rocky banks with shallow water are, of course, melting first. A good stiff wind was moving the water, helping things along. To my delight, chironomids were coming off in droves! The forecast is calling for 60+ temps from Saturday on, but I think I'll give it one more week. I'll throw from the bank initially, launch the pontoon later. I honestly don't know how well base lakes fish carryover with these long winters and depleted oxygen, but am anxious to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Albradley View Post
                    Okay I spoke with the delta branch of fish and game and birch's ice is about 6 feet from the shore while Quartz's Ice is about 12 feet off the shore.Well Tight Lines and good luck to everyone.I will be heading out saturday morning at about 4 am.If you would like a ride or anything else PM me.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going. After a LONG winter this sounds like FUN! What do ya use for lures? Spinners and/or jigs i suppose?
                    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Comment

They've been Ice fishing on Birch all week, so I think it's going to be a while.

Comment

True I was gonna wait a few weeks for birch but as far as quartz goes people I know have already started fishing from shore and nailing the spawners with salmon egg sacks.I will be heading out that way to shore fish on saturday.To the above poster it seems salmon egg sacks work the best during breakup.

Comment

I like using small white crappie jigs. Casting them on the shelf ice and slowy reel them to the edge, and let them roll off and sink. I have done well with salmon roe/eggs also.
                          sigpic
                          Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                          www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Originally posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
                            I like using small white crappie jigs. Casting them on the shelf ice and slowy reel them to the edge, and let them roll off and sink. I have done well with salmon roe/eggs also.
                            Sounds great! Thanks much!
                            I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Comment

Well Myself and about 30 other people spent over 12 hours fishing and being taunted by schools in numbers upwards of 30 fish swim in circles for around 12 hours.Not on bite between any of us.We threw everything plus the kitchen sink at them but they swam around,Under,Above,And even came within an inch of the shore.Now my vent I think anyone who decides to ignore common sense and courtesy and fish on top of people should be shot.I was fishing near my father and his friend when about 10 people came and stood right next to us I swear each person was within six inches of each other and me.I was hooked twice by idiots not paying attention to what they are doing.Ok so in Review...If someone doesnt have common sense I say hook them with a pixie and see if they get any quickly.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X