Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King Fishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • King Fishing

    Dissapointed again... According to the regs the west Cook inlet rivers and streams from Alexander creek down the coast are closed to King fishing again this year (no catch and release). Don't no were else to go to find small secluded coastal rivers with good runs of Kings. It's just a sad state of affairs when there is no good King salmon fishing left in Alaska. Maybe it's time to start investigating the Kamchatka penninula in Russia?

  • #2
    I was reading the Fish and Game website and it seems a lot of areas have very heavy restrictions. Im not very familiar with Alaska because Im new here so hopefully I can get it figured out. I was really looking forward to kings but it seems like its almost going to be more trouble than its worth.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea, I realy enjoyed fishing the west side of cook inlet because it's of the beatin path and the fishing use to be excellent. I am better off fishing in CA where you can keep two ocean fish per day and two in several of the N coast rivers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Steelieguy View Post
        Dissapointed again... According to the regs the west Cook inlet rivers and streams from Alexander creek down the coast are closed to King fishing again this year (no catch and release). Don't no were else to go to find small secluded coastal rivers with good runs of Kings. It's just a sad state of affairs when there is no good King salmon fishing left in Alaska. Maybe it's time to start investigating the Kamchatka penninula in Russia?
        Of course the setnetters are still allowed to catch Kings, and we wonder why the runs are poor.
        "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
          Of course the setnetters are still allowed to catch Kings, and we wonder why the runs are poor.
          Whats the point of regulating the fish in the river if they never make it there?
          "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
            Of course the setnetters are still allowed to catch Kings, and we wonder why the runs are poor.
            I think we can all agree the king runs every were are going down the tubes. At some point when there is no fish people will start trying to fix the problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually the problem is comm guys have to much say in how things are handled. The greed of some will hurt us all. And I am not saying all of them are greedy, I also respect people have to make a living but at what point do you give up a buck for job security?

              Case in point, the Kenai river last year. Why is it the river was shut down for kings and then reopened????? I mean look how fast it went from closed to catch and kill with bait??????? You can't tell me it was because the run showed up, the fishing still stunk even after the fish got a break. They even admitted last year the sonar is junk. So please help me understand this one if I am off base.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RustyMonkey View Post
                Whats the point of regulating the fish in the river if they never make it there?
                I'm not sure. To be nice, it's called 'politics'.
                "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  on a side note, I wonder what the price of fish will be with recent problems in Japan, I know they by a lot of our fish. I even over herd a few of them suggest to Parnel at the airport that the comm guys should harvest more fish so they could have more fish to buy. Pretty interesting how that conversation went, or the parts I heard any way.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A voice said, "Go west young man" or middle aged guy.

                    I said, "Ok"

                    Looks like my pursuit of Kings this year will take me to the Kanektok River. Can anyone recommend some tackle requirements (rod, reels, lb test). I prefer side drifting and bobber & jig.

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A local here that works at sportsman wharehouse set me up with a bunch of different tackle that he said is good for kings. Some of those beads with pieces of yarn and then a couple of vibrax spinners chartruese, pink, and another color. They were overall fairly priced. He also said some roe in a piece of panty hose baited onto a hook and bobber would work too.

                      Just an FYI I dont know a whole lot about this stuff. Im just going off the research that I have done and what I have talked to others about. If someone knows better please feel free to correct it.
                      Originally posted by Steelieguy View Post
                      A voice said, "Go west young man" or middle aged guy.

                      I said, "Ok"

                      Looks like my pursuit of Kings this year will take me to the Kanektok River. Can anyone recommend some tackle requirements (rod, reels, lb test). I prefer side drifting and bobber & jig.

                      Thanks
                      Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
                        I'm not sure. To be nice, it's called 'politics'.

                        And it is really nice they don't catch them all so they can make money in future years. It has nothing to do with sports fisherman....not really anyway.

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X