Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No bait with a Spin N Glow??? King Fishing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No bait with a Spin N Glow??? King Fishing

    I've been getting ready for King season. Not my first year fishing in AK but my first year King fishing in AK. I have been picking up size 4-6 Vibrax, a bunch of Pixies and several different size spin n glows. My question is do you ever fish spin n glows without bait?

    What are the best king colors in the valley (general). I've got a bunch of greens, blues, and black. In spin n glows orange,yellows, and fire tigers.

    In the past what do the bait seasons usually look like in the Valley and on the Pen?

    thanks

  • #2
    Caught many an AK king with baitless Spin-N-Glo's.

    Drift fishing SNG and yarn from the shore or from a free-drifting boat is the most traditional old-school technique.

    They can also be backtrolled or backbounced WITHOUT bait. This is very popular on the Little Su. Also know a lot of folks that bounce naked SNG's for Kenai kings, even when bait is legal .... they just can't stand the mess associated with eggs.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

    Comment


    • #3
      My experience has been, that early in the run, the Kings are less aggressive and more intent on moving on...when they get congregated in the holes, they become more defensivie and agitated and will strike at most anything that gets near. SNG are one thing they will strike and grab hold of. Colors vary creek to creek and year to year...water clarity and depth and sunlight make a difference. You will need a selection to start with and then find out what works on that trip.
      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

      Comment


      • #4
        Thats cool info guys. What about size? I've been seeing them at the store from 1/2" to the 1 3/8" monsters? Hook size? What about the premade ones with treble hooks?

        thanks again for all the info :topjob:

        Comment


        • #5
          Stay away from the pre-rigged outfits.For kings the treble hooks are illegal on mst rivers.Take a look at how they are rigged and put them together yourself.Heck,that's half the fun--figuring out what combination of colors works on any given day.Cheaper also.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been King fishing the Valley streams for almost thirty years and one of the many things I've learned through the years is that smaller is
            usually better. As mentioned earlier, water turbidity, flow, sunlight etc. can dictate color and size, but in general I've had great success compared to others fishing around me while using small SNG.
            Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FishGod View Post
              I've been King fishing the Valley streams for almost thirty years and one of the many things I've learned through the years is that smaller is
              usually better. As mentioned earlier, water turbidity, flow, sunlight etc. can dictate color and size, but in general I've had great success compared to others fishing around me while using small SNG.
              Absolutely True...and as an added bonus...The Rainbow Trout like them!
              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

              Comment


              • #8
                That makes sense. When silver fishing this last year I would go out to the tailrace with a size 1 or 2 vibrax in a special color and get my fish pretty quick. The guys out there using #5's would cast all day without a bite.

                When can you normally use bait in the valley for kings?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

                  When can you normally use bait in the valley for kings?
                  When the deshka gets a good run the deshka *might* open for bait otherwise its no bait in most road accessible areas
                  I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just cast and #6 Vibrax inline blue bell spinner and you will catch kings...proven killer!

                    Fish On!
                    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


                    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                      When the deshka gets a good run the deshka *might* open for bait otherwise its no bait in most road accessible areas
                      if you read the regs you can use bait in the Big su at the mouths of most of the rivers. But you have to read the regs real close and there is a distance you have to be away from the mouth of the river. I think you would pretty much have to be in a boat to use it though. Bt if yoru fishing up stream you can forget about bait.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        seen alotta silvers pulled outta the su' with a blue spin n' glow with no bait
                        Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good information. I will continue to pick up a few vibrax. Do you guys ever use smaller vibrax? What about black vibrax with chartruse?

                          thanks

                          Teach

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
                            if you read the regs you can use bait in the Big su at the mouths of most of the rivers. But you have to read the regs real close and there is a distance you have to be away from the mouth of the river. I think you would pretty much have to be in a boat to use it though. Bt if yoru fishing up stream you can forget about bait.
                            NOT TRUE!!! BAD BAD! This is a thread about KING fishing. Yes, bait is legal in areas of the Big Su, but when king season is going on, its for burbot only. All other fish must be released immediately. Bait for other species opens back up July 14, after king season is closed. The only bait fishery along the Parks Highway for kings is the Deshka, which must be reached by air or boat.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It has been several years (30+) but I fished Spin N Glows for steelhead in Washington State. Had no bait on them. I do have to say that the water was much clearer in Washington and the flash of the Spin N Glows really brought in the fish. Not sure if the flash would be enough in Alaska. My VERY VERY VERY limited Alaska fishing makes me think the roe or herring strip attracts the salmon & the flash just finishes the deal.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X