Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drifter that is just plain cruel. I am in the same boat as Fullbush. I am out of halibut. What did you use for breading on those?

Comment

Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
      Drifter that is just plain cruel. I am in the same boat as Fullbush. I am out of halibut. What did you use for breading on those?
      McCormicks Beer Batter Mix.
      sigpic
      www.arcticangler.ca
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
        Here you go FB!!!
        It was yummy!!!

Ahh I see im not alone in enjoying some nice beer battered halibut.Kudos on the Alaskan Amber.
        There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Hey drifter that looks delicious! The only way I'll be enjoying halibut is if I catch it myself. It'll be a cold day in hell before I support the IFQ tycoons
          sigpic

I'm taking a poll
          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
            Hey drifter that looks delicious! The only way I'll be enjoying halibut is if I catch it myself. It'll be a cold day in hell before I support the IFQ tycoons
            This halibut was caught on my buddies private boat out of Homer.
            sigpic
            www.arcticangler.ca
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Thanks for all the great info on barbless hooks. I agree with educating everyone and especially the younger generation on the damage barbed hooks do to the fish. One question: What is the lesser of two evils when the fish has swallowed the hook? Do I cut the line and release it or keep it and eat it? (had this scenario come up after catching the daily limit and chose to take it home anyway)
              This is Alaska, it may be daylight but the night is still young!

Comment

The way the law reads, cut the line or face a fine.

Is it right?---- I don't think so, but thats the law.

Comment

When fishing back on April 2, 2011 i caught a rainbow with a very distinct scare on its gill plate after snapping a picture and releasing the fish i went about my day, 10 hrs later i hooked up with another bow which gave me a run for my money, while pulling the hook from its mouth i noticed a distinct scare on its gill plate, it was the same fish i had caught earlier in the day. Now i know some may think this is a 1 and 1,000,00 chance but obviously the C&R tech worked. This has not been the first time it has happened to me or someone else i know, I also caught a grayling in the fairbanks area that had a tag on it and when calling the tag in i was informed that the fish was tagged in 04 then caught in 2005 and then by me in 07. I guess what im saying is as long as you properly handle the fish it will survive. I personaly think there is a flaw in the study regarding catch and release. Basically if you have to second guess if that fish will survive you probably should do the right thing and harvest it. Thats my 2 cents on that.
                  -Tight Lines & head shakin
                  sigpic

Comment

After fighting the fish for about five minutes and realizing it swallowed the hook, I was afraid there was internal damage so I just kept it. The insides didn't look too torn up from the hook as I gutted it to retrieve my lure. Does anyone know how much damage a swallowed hook does to the fish, especially after fighting it for a while?
                    This is Alaska, it may be daylight but the night is still young!

Comment

I took a trout a few years ago that had a bead still attached to the tippet sticking out the anus and what I assumed was the hook stuck just inside the trout. Now I can only wonder how long it took to travel that distance but that it got that far is amazing. I agree with fusion that the data is skewed some what or our colder water has something to do with it. I have taken 30 trout with a seal mark on its side that was healed mostly over but I could see inside the cavity, go figure...

George

Comment

Originally posted by George Riddle View Post
                        I took a trout a few years ago that had a bead still attached to the tippet sticking out the anus and what I assumed was the hook stuck just inside the trout. Now I can only wonder how long it took to travel that distance but that it got that far is amazing. I agree with fusion that the data is skewed some what or our colder water has something to do with it. I have taken 30 trout with a seal mark on its side that was healed mostly over but I could see inside the cavity, go figure...

George
                        Were those steelhead??
                        There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

No, these were Iliamna lake fish. Lake Iliamna is one of two lakes in the world with a population of fresh water seals. Oh and there is a monster in the lake too....

George

Comment

I live most of the year on lake Granby colo. We have been tagging lake trout here since the 80s I caught a fish the other day that was the fourth time I caught it and we have documented the same fish caught over 10 times, if a fish is hooked deeply or bleeding I will keep it, I mainly use jigs that I pour with owner hooks and always pinch the barbs, just easier on me and the fish and few are lost due to barbless.
                            Redleader standing by

Comment

I recently left eastern Washington, where I spent the last several years tossing flies in that areas best waters......"selective gear regulations" lakes to be exact. What this means that only artificial lures and flies with single, barbless hooks (no bait) are legal. Most of these lakes are fished by guys and gals who practice C & R, although fish may be retained in limited numbers. The beauty of this is these fish dwarf those on other "put and take" lakes in the same region. On some of the heaviest hit lakes I was seeing rainbows, brownies and tigers that had 8-10 hook marks in their mouths! Rainbows in particular are ridiculously tough! In "put and take" lakes I've caught several fish with entire lower jaws or gill plates, ie half their heads, missing.....and they were still feeding and fighting like crazy!!! I love netting a fish, removing the hook effortlessly with a slight push of a finger, and immediately releasing it to fight another day.

Comment

Ahh what it must be like to live as a Rainbow Trout in the great state of Alaska. Lets see what we have to add scars to our bodies and disfigure us so we can blame the tiny 3/8 hook with a nano barb. Well, we have seals and sea Lions that swim as far up as Skilak lake ambushing us from behind, we have eagles snatching at us while we are extremly exposed on our spawning beds or negotiating skinny water bound for those hallowed grounds, we have river otters that swipe at us and oh did I mention bears? Dont forget the other predatory birds that visit our areas such as hawks and Golden Eagles and the list goes on and on. And did I mention the danger and injuries sustained, not to mention the mortality of Rainbows and Dollies getting to close to spawning salmon. I once saw a Sockeye snap the back of a Dollie...wow, talk about a tough life..live and die for the pleasure of swimming in these rivers. If only a trophy sized Rainbow could speak, imagine the survival stories he would tell. It would make for some great reality tv programming indeed. So think twice the next time you catch a mauled fish before you conlcude that it was a evil fisherman who did him wrong...or was it. These fish are a lot tougher than we give them credit for and can take a beating and than some. dang it their ALASKANs after all. Nuff said.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X