Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone notice the sportfishing changes for Southcentral Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone notice the sportfishing changes for Southcentral Alaska?

They are out on the fish and game website. Some big changes this year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...hanges2011.pdf

should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?

Comment

some big changes but nothing that makes me cry....in fact im really happy with some of them
      sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Originally posted by ak_logan View Post
        should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?
        That's only for cohos (silvers) and only applicable to a pretty short stretch of river. By time silvers start rolling up the river, the combat crowds are long gone.

Comment

you can't release pike in the susitna river drainage now? What the hell?

Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.
          I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
            Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.
            :ditto: ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.
            Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
              :ditto: ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.
              ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population
              I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Does anyone know why bait is allowed on the Kasilof from Sept 1st-15th?

Comment

Originally posted by tcman View Post
                  Does anyone know why bait is allowed on the Kasilof from Sept 1st-15th?
                  so people can use it to fish for silvers.

Comment

Break out the Tin Foil Hats!

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                      ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population
                      Ok explain this one to me about the pike. Why is the new reg bad?

Comment

I like the part about not fishing from a boat right in front of the mouth of Willow Creek. Last season several boats I can only assume were guided fishing trips would come right in front of us, cast toward us, and tangle up lines with those fishing from the bank. When they weren't doing that, they were going by at warp 10 and sending tsunami style waves ashore to interupt everyone's fishing rythum.
                        I have nothing against fishing guides. But I do have a problem with them using their equipment to impede other fishermen and women from catching fish to give thier clients more to fish for. That, folks, is unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
                          Ok explain this one to me about the pike. Why is the new reg bad?
                          Good question. A dead pike can't eat salmon fry, so what's the problem? When a mosquito lands on me, I don't evaluate wheter it's male or female, I indiscriminately kill it (only female mosquitos can bite).

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                            Good question. A dead pike can't eat salmon fry, so what's the problem? When a mosquito lands on me, I don't evaluate wheter it's male or female, I indiscriminately kill it (only female mosquitos can bite).
                            Some people I have said it wasn't a good idea, I don't understand why it isn't. If some one can explain, it would be nice. Because to me small, medium,or large they cause problems for salmon. just look what happened to Alexander Creek.

Comment

I don't think it is a bad idea either. But, I think what people are referring to is the fact that large pike tend to eat smaller pike. So, if you remove a large pike, you are just going to help the population of hammer handles (small pike). If you let a big pike go, he can get bigger and eat more pike. I think this is the general idea what people are referring to. It might have been a good idea to change the restriction to allow pike over 30" to be released.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X