One more year for felt sole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more year for felt sole?

I have heard a rumor that the state is going to wait an other year before banning the felt sole waders. Anyone know, fact or fiction.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

The change was adopted to take effect on the 1st of January 2012. TU asked for 2011 but was to soon from the requested date.

Comment

Thanks, guess I have another year then before I have to spend more money.
      Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Comment

Its time to ban TU from Alaska not felt soles
        sigpic

I'm taking a poll
        <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
          Its time to ban TU from Alaska not felt soles
          Just remember, TU is a group of local fisherman who care about the resource. I am definitely on the fence about the felt soles but I know that TU does a lot of good. They have been extremely active in the Pebble mine issue.

the felt sole issue effect us locals but it is mainly intended to stop all the tourist from bringing something nasty up from the lower 48.

AK is not the only state to ban them, in fact I look for the majority of states to eventually ban them.

Comment

What sucks is, this ban is for fisherman only. It does not apply to hunters or more specifically duck hunters. We can't use felt soles, but the guy duck hunting upstream can. Stupid.............
            Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
              What sucks is, this ban is for fisherman only. It does not apply to hunters or more specifically duck hunters. We can't use felt soles, but the guy duck hunting upstream can. Stupid.............

Really??????? Is that true?????? If so that is crap! What they should do is make it so customs takes the felt soled boots! So people don't bring crap into our streams!

Comment

are any manufacturers making a similar product that won't be banned and won't easily pick up the gunk? Or are we all going to rubber in 2012?
                Justin

Comment

Not that they do not come here to do it but I have never seen anyone come here to duck hunt but on the other hand I have seen thousands coming here to fish.

Most duck hunters don't use felt anyway.

Comment

That is because the rule was inacted by the Board of Fisheries who has no legal jurisdiction over hunting or other activities, nor should they.

Comment

Originally posted by akflyfisher View Post
                      Not that they do not come here to do it but I have never seen anyone come here to duck hunt but on the other hand I have seen thousands coming here to fish.

Most duck hunters don't use felt anyway.
                      You haven't been to Cordova.

Comment

I think the angling community should demand quality research to document the threat by felt soled waders and shoes. As a biologist with over 35 years of experience including definitive stream research on a similar fish disease (Ceratomyxa) I know of no circumstance where anglers have been identified or documented as a source of whirling disears or ceratomyxa. It has been documented repeatedly that they can and are carried by introduced fish stocks particularly those of hatchery origin. Fish eating birds have also been identified as a problem but I know of any research where this has been documented. What amplifies the issues with these diseases is habitat degredation including water diversions, temperature modification, bank erosion and loss of riparian habitat.
                        If these diseases were so easily spread why are there viable and healthy fish populations downstream of infected reaches. Why would not the disease extend to the river mouths and ultimately the ocean? Anglers have fished streams where infected fish stocks occur for many years with felt soled boots. Why have there been no documented or even reported instances of spread of disease? While I have not conducted a definitive literature search what I have found would qualify in my opinion as somewhere between urban legends and old wives tales.
                        This is a serious economic and safety issue and warrants quality peer reviewed research and definitive findings before such a drastic action is implemented.

Comment

I have personally instituted a ban of trout unlimited associates on my property. Let this serve as a warning they will be gut shot and dipped in a pool of ravenous trout
                          sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

I am all for preventive measures to stop invasive species, but all of these organisms can inhabit other areas besides the felt sole. Those of us that wear boots know how much dirt, sand, algae, and mud gets inside the boot. So, my point is theoretically these invasive species could harbor in our boot laces, inside and outside of the boot material, in the insole etc.

Comment

If bird eating fish are part of the problem I say open season on seagulls on the Kenai.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X