No announcement yet.

So we're gonna kill Kings on the Kenai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So we're gonna kill Kings on the Kenai?

It's my belief that King fishing on the Kenai should have seen a complete closure years ago, and a huge reduction in guides before that. We've already killed all the big ones. The rest will be gone soon.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    It's my belief that King fishing on the Kenai should have seen a complete closure years ago.
    Totally agree. Only thing I might add is....MANY years ago!

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Definitely sad to see the fishery how it is today.

Comment

Makes you wonder why they do catch and release only for kings anywhere in the state and claim they are trying to preserve the species. The big kings are gone from most places in the state.

It’s safe to say that “most people” targeting kings want to be able to take them home for dinner(s), so you know for certain that there are poachers out there keeping what they catch, even taking multiples. In this statement I am NOT saying that all who target them are poachers, but acknowledge that they are out there. Even while dip netting.

If the species are at risk and you want to preserve the trophy size gene pool, close the fishery completely. It would be way easier to enforce a complete closure than to enforce a c&r fishery in my honest opinion.

Comment

Nets? What about the nets? Or is it just the in-river anglers that kill Kenai kings? I'm not saying whether I think you are right or wrong, but this only one part of the story, no?

Comment

I am not familiar with the commercial rules and regulations, therefore I cannot speak on that subject. I am talking about on shore personal use dip netting. All I am saying is that someone is always going to be breaking the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by extrema View Post
              Nets? What about the nets? Or is it just the in-river anglers that kill Kenai kings? I'm not saying whether I think you are right or wrong, but this only one part of the story, no?
              Certainly nets do kill some kings. But there is no commercial fishery targeting the early run Kenai kings, and the early run is doing even worse than the late run. So...hard to blame that one on the nets. (I'm specifically referring to gillnetting in Upper Cook Inlet. Trawl nets out in the Bering are another issue entirely.)

Comment

China-China-China-China.......illegal fishing, using nets "MILES LONG". Massive.....truly Monster Massive ocean processing factory ships the size of cities.
                ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

If we kill off the few that manage to make it back to the river then there won't be any more for those China ships to catch out at sea. That'll show them!
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Two years ago a study showed that just in the Central and Western Gulf 16,802 chinook salmon were taken as bycatch. This is an issue that comes up every year and doesn't get addressed in any of those years in any meaningful way.
                    https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...d-king-bycatch

China is the least of our worries when we are killing our own valuable fish by the thousands as they return home to spawn all so we can catch pollack for McDognalds.
                    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I wonder how many kings the Ninilchicans kill when they string out their "subsistence" net on the Kenai?

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                        I wonder how many kings the Ninilchicans kill when they string out their "subsistence" net on the Kenai?
                        Too many.....
                        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

Too many.....
                          One is too many imo.

Comment

Since both "K" rivers are completely shut down to king fishing in any shape or form starting 7/19, does this have any affect on beach set-netting.

Comment

Originally posted by river mist View Post
                              Since both "K" rivers are completely shut down to king fishing in any shape or form starting 7/19, does this have any affect on beach set-netting.
                              <br/><br/>Yep, setnetting is closed unless the king numbers come back up. <br/><br/>https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/07...ry-shuts-down/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X