Working on some Laker jigs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on some Laker jigs.

Been working on some Laker jigs here in quarantine.
    Trying to relearn how to tie bucktails.lol
    Bannanna head bucktails in various sizes 3/4oz-2oz and colors.
    And some herring head underspins in the same sizes and colors.
    Going to have to pick up some soft plastic grub tails or ??? for the underspins.
    I'm open to suggestions.
    I'm not a big fan of the lead barb on these underspins. Would have preferred the wire keeper.
    But they let Randy Howell design these after he won the bass masters classic on a custom built underspin made by his dad.
    So unless/until I want spend a bunch of time modifying the molds I'll just use them as designed.
    I do think the Willow blades underneath will be good fish attractors though.
    I thought about making some bigger sizes but these should be big enough for now.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Those buck tail jigs will work good. Especially that white one if you paint some eyes on it. I'm assuming they will lay horizontally if you are vertical jigging like for ice fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
      Those buck tail jigs will work good. Especially that white one if you paint some eyes on it. I'm assuming they will lay horizontally if you are vertical jigging like for ice fishing.
      I've never really noticed any difference in fish catching when a jig has eyes vs without eyes.
      I might just put some 2D eye stickers on them.
      But then again.....
      Do you feel it really makes a difference?

Comment

Yes, I do. Mostly I've noticed a difference fly fishing, but the buck tail jigs I use for ice fishing for lakers that look similar to your jigs all have eyes. But I'm sure they would bite without the eyes too. Tube jigs don't have eyes and they work. But I do think the eyes give it a more realistic presentation and if it were me I would put eyes on them.

Comment

Well you talked me into it.
          Put some reflective 2D eyes on them.
          Stickers are just easier than paint and I had them handy.

Comment

Do eyes help attract fish? They "may" help, but honestly, who knows. If having eyes on a jig (or streamer) give YOU more confidence in a lure, by all means use them. I really think that eyes on lures are most useful in attracting buyers in stores, but again who knows(?).
            By the way all the dolly lamas I tie, I use cone heads with eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
              Well you talked me into it.
              Put some reflective 2D eyes on them.
              Stickers are just easier than paint and I had them handy.

That lure will most definitely catch a lake trout. If you want you could send it to me and I'll try it out for you. :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

That lure will most definitely catch a lake trout. If you want you could send it to me and I'll try it out for you. :topjob:
                My dad's cabin is on the same lake as yours.
                If you see me up there hit me up and if I have an extra I'll give it to you.
                What's your size preference?
                I have the molds to go from 3/4oz-3oz

Comment

Hmm... That's a good question. It's been awhile since I've had to buy a new lure. I don't lose them very often. I think I got 1.5-2 oz but to be honest, I'm not sure weight is as big a factor as length or size (that's what she said right? lol). Anyway, I would say 4-5 inch would be the minimum size. And it wouldn't hurt to have one a bit longer like 6,7, or even 8 inches. I've noticed that the bucktail jigs typically catch high numbers of fish, but rarely have I caught the big lakers on them. All of the big lakers that I or we've caught (15 pounds and bigger) have always been on the tube jigs. But it's possible that is because the tubes are simply bigger. I'm sure the bucktail jigs would catch bigger fish if you used a bigger jig. Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I'll run into you up there some time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X