Bristol Bay Commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Bay Commercial

Ok... Already said I am going little crazy but lets consider something else......Bristol Bay Commercial fishery

Right now there is a 14 day lock down on folks coming into Alaska from anywhere. With that said what is going to happen to our commercial fishery in the Bay? Hear me out a bit guys.

About 60% of all "Slime Line" workers are Filipinos and if Silver Bay and the like have to house these guys 14 days early on their nickel what is the end result going to be for our set netters and drifters? Are we going to have a season in the bay or ??? The bottom line is not if the fish are going to return but is the processors are going to take fish. Can't go out and catch 350,000 pounds of Reds if no one is buying due to a shortage of workers! Scares the $hi% out of me considering my son is a drifter...

Ugggg!

Walt

They’ll be here, don’t you worry ..

Comment

Talked to a B.B. fishermen and he said the local native corporation is wanting to shut down the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Talked to a B.B. fishermen and he said the local native corporation is wanting to shut down the airport.
        Maybe they have been down this road in history before with people bringing in diseases to Alaska.:whistle:

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

The processors also won't buy fish if they don't have buyers to buy their finished product. Asia may not be buying allot of fish this year.

Comment

This petition was started a few days ago

Corona Virus can decimate Alaska Villages like South Naknek, Naknek, King Salmon and other Bristol Bay villages by those arriving from out of state for the 2020 commercial fishing season. An estimated 15,000 out of state people are currently trickling into King Salmon and Dillingham as of March 16, 2020. There are no adequate facilities to properly quarantine those arriving from out of state and there are no health care facilities that can adequately handle the influx of people that may be infected or those that they infect. The Bristol Bay Borough is not equipped or experienced in a situation like this. Out of state travelers believing they will quarantine themselves in bunkhouses, docked boats and conex containers are not adequate facilities to quarantine anyone. So we ask Governor Dunleavy to come up with a solution immediately. Our elders and compromised residents are at risk of losing their lives.

https://www.change.org/p/governor-dunleavy-restrict-out-of-state-travel-into-alaska-b42465b3-b171-4ede-a48b-a2b3e980dcb6?recruiter=1060456945&utm_source=share _petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_com bo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_abi&recr uited_by_id=47710010-6cc0-11ea-a6c9-b9f421ce9ef3&utm_content=fht-21034452-en-us:v10&fbclid=IwAR3NQjBgsiGtmkjhdrPYf46N1xLORfO8TS G5nuEFt2asOP1n9Q48W7TiRno
            “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by polardds View Post
              The processors also won't buy fish if they don't have buyers to buy their finished product. Asia may not be buying allot of fish this year.

I am not saying that there is not demand for the fish but someone has to work the Slime Line and most come from Asia..IE Covid-19 ie 14 day lock down at who's cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
                I am not saying that there is not demand for the fish but someone has to work the Slime Line and most come from Asia..IE Covid-19 ie 14 day lock down at who's cost?

Employer's cost. Simply pass the cost of production to the consumer of the product.
                "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                sigpic
                The KeenEye MD

Comment

If the economy is still being rocked I dont see people paying for more expensive salmon because the employers decided to pass the price of quarantine down to the consumer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                  but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Silver Bay is running ads on radio for processors in the bay so they are looking forward. Can't count of the asian work force they have been using for years....Glad to see they are looking o hire local.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                      If the economy is still being rocked I dont see people paying for more expensive salmon because the employers decided to pass the price of quarantine down to the consumer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Those who want salmon bad enough will pay. It's the way a free market operates.
                      "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                      sigpic
                      The KeenEye MD

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X