Steelhead pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelhead pressure

Steelhead:After the end of the silver season, these small rivers, Ninilchik, Deep Creek, Anchor are seeing large numbers of fly fisherman daily, 7 days a week.
    There are significant numbers of fisherman working these rivers even during the heavy rains and wind.
    The steelhead fisherman are resilient, not sure about the fish.
    I am afraid that some changes are going to be required to maintain these precious fish.
    We walk the rivers a few times a week and are observing more spent fish that I believe these rivers can sustain.
    C & R of this fish is still taking it's toll. There are more "good Steelhead" fishermen catching more fish than I have witnessed ever before.
    Any others fishermen observing the same thing.

It has been a busy year of steelhead fishing down there. It is a good reminder for everyone that your should consider pinching those barbs, I have pulled several bead rigs out of fish this year with the barb still there. Also, please keep the fish in the water!

Comment

The Board of Fish already took action in the lower Kenai Peninsula steelhead fishery by closing all sport fishing in those streams on November 1.
      It used to be open through December 31. Some years ice is early, some years ice is late. All evidence shows those stocks are doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by aktally View Post
        The Board of Fish already took action in the lower Kenai Peninsula steelhead fishery by closing all sport fishing in those streams on November 1.
        It used to be open through December 31. Some years ice is early, some years ice is late. All evidence shows those stocks are doing fine.
        What evidence do u have that shows “those stocks are doing fine”?
        As I’ve watched the pressure first hand day after day on the river over the last 25 years I can tell u this.... virtually every steelhead that comes upriver I would bet has been hooked/caught multiple times b4 the season is over. I’ve found from my steelhead fishing experience that steelhead are very susceptible to being rehooked, even minutes after being released. Been there, seen that.
        When fisherman are seen with headlamps on in the early morning booking upriver to get to their ‘hotspot’, that should speak to the volume of fishing pressure on these small rivers.
        There are actually waiting lines on some holes nowadays. These holes often have at least one fisherman in it pretty much all day long almost every day late Sept thru Oct. This is pretty common practice on most of the known good holes during the period mentioned now.
        While im not claiming the fishery is lost, I am willing ask/investigate the fishes future health.
        So if u have evidence of healthy stocks I’d like if u shared it. From what I personally witness every day, I do have a concern for the fishery.

Comment

they will fish till nothing is left then wonder "what happened to the fish" !!
          sigpic
          Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
          Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
          Ropes, Buoys, Bait
          alaskashrimppots.com
          akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
          907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
            What evidence do u have that shows “those stocks are doing fine”?
            As I’ve watched the pressure first hand day after day on the river over the last 25 years I can tell u this.... virtually every steelhead that comes upriver I would bet has been hooked/caught multiple times b4 the season is over. I’ve found from my steelhead fishing experience that steelhead are very susceptible to being rehooked, even minutes after being released. Been there, seen that.
            When fisherman are seen with headlamps on in the early morning booking upriver to get to their ‘hotspot’, that should speak to the volume of fishing pressure on these small rivers.
            There are actually waiting lines on some holes nowadays. These holes often have at least one fisherman in it pretty much all day long almost every day late Sept thru Oct. This is pretty common practice on most of the known good holes during the period mentioned now.
            While im not claiming the fishery is lost, I am willing ask/investigate the fishes future health.
            So if u have evidence of healthy stocks I’d like if u shared it. From what I personally witness every day, I do have a concern for the fishery.
            I saw that last weekend. It was my first Anchor river trip. What a blast. I hiked upstream and managed to find some good holes without people on them but there was definitely some holes that had people "camped" on them just like you said. That, and they were there bright and early with the headlamps, but I must confess so was I. I wonder if it would be beneficial for the fish and game to designate closures during the week and openings on the weekend to give relief to the spawning steelhead. They are definitely some beautiful fish. I'd hate to see the resource mismanaged.

Comment

I quit fishing those streams 5 years ago due to pressure. The guide numbers have exploded on these streams further exposing them. Nothing against guides, I used to guide and most of my friends currently guide, but the number of guides has increased dramatically. I'm seeing the same thing on a separate river I will not name.
              Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Wish they would have never closed the steelhead stocking project on crooked creek. I understand why they did but I think it went a long way to protecting wild stocks even if there was legitimate concern for cross breeding between wild and hatchery fish.

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                  they will fish till nothing is left then wonder "what happened to the fish" !!
                  Pretty much what has already happened to the big kings on the Kenai. Gone. Too late. They're already gone.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

I grew up fishing Atlantic Salmon in Maine, we loved out fish to death.

How do we go about getting some of the pressure off these fish?
                    Limit the season by only allowing a month or so of fishing, weekends only?

Comment

Put in a proposal to the BoF at the next meeting to change the regs to something more restrictive. I would definitely support that proposal. In California, some highly pressured steelhead waters only allow a very limited season, fishing only allowed on WED, SAT, & SUN, so that type of reg has been done before.

Comment

Originally posted by cmo1977 View Post
                        It has been a busy year of steelhead fishing down there. It is a good reminder for everyone that your should consider pinching those barbs, I have pulled several bead rigs out of fish this year with the barb still there. Also, please keep the fish in the water!
                        One simple place to start is this members suggestion.... barbs pinched down. It’s an almost ‘no burden’ correction that should markedly help in releasing and handling of the fish. I would immediately support this as a partial solution by regulation.
                        Steelhead are actively pursued as much as the king salmon are pursued in the spring. At least the kings have a 4 day window every week to create pockets of fish that can escape upriver. Kings also have the added protection of the ‘no fishing above the 2 mile marker’ rule. No such rules for the prestigious steelhead. They are pursued 24/7, with no restrictions on where they can be fished.

Comment

Is there any data available to read on the status of the steelhead in these small rivers?
                          Have they done any studies? Where can I find it?
                          I will attempt to gather some information and put out a proposal or something for us fishermen to get behind.
                          I have personally talked to fishermen on these rivers that are from outside the US and many of the US Sates, losing these fish it isn't going to just affect the Alaska Fishermen.
                          Thanks.

Comment

I would be surprised to hear of any data collected project done on steelhead in KP streams recently. I mean some people still don’t want to publicly admit all the streams that have steelhead in them. Which is fine by me, but at the same time it makes me wonder if it’s more then just an act of conservation.

Comment

I’d be shocked if the BOF did anything to help the steelhead. They have no commercial value and they eat salmon eggs. Surprised there’s still not a bounty on them. What a fun fish to catch on a fly rod though. The best.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X