No announcement yet.

Laker Spawn Shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a fair amount of research, was this volunteer type?

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
      All I hear are complaints about this lake trout fishery up here,... Everyone gets offended if you donít release your catch or if there is a spot of blood showing on your fish or if the fish touches ice and so on. I think everyone should lay down there rods for two years and stop stressing lake Louise lakers for a while. AKhardwater knows what I mean.
      I am trying to determine if you are being sarcastic or serious. I sense some passive aggressive animosity towards AKhardwater, which I don't understand since he hasn't even opened up his mouth on this thread. Your comments are also contradictory. First you mock people for practicing proper catch and release techniques, and then in the next sentence you suggest closing down an entire fishery for 2 whole years. So which is it, are you in favor of lake trout conservation or not?

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
        20 years? Surprised ADF&G in Fairbanks said that. This search took five seconds.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS10-85.pdf
        Well this one is 15 years old data collected in 2004 so the timeline i was given is off a bit from 20. Also told they had a long study on Paxson that discontinued years ago, clearly though the sentiment was that they would like to do more lake trout work. There is regulations to protect these fish single hook and tangle also fielding are closed to fishing for lake trout in September. The single hook no bait fishing does fine with catch and release for lake trout in other areas so sport fishing for them in my mind does not need to be closed for them anymore than it already is and I get why you don’t want to harvest many or if you need to harvest any at all because they are a great fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
          I am trying to determine if you are being sarcastic or serious. I sense some passive aggressive animosity towards AKhardwater, which I don't understand since he hasn't even opened up his mouth on this thread. Your comments are also contradictory. First you mock people for practicing proper catch and release techniques, and then in the next sentence you suggest closing down an entire fishery for 2 whole years. So which is it, are you in favor of lake trout conservation or not?
          I just recall the fellow being an advocate for protecting the lakers to the full extent and have no beef. Also from a few threads on this site have noticed the extreme concern for lake trout coming from those who fish them the most so maybe itís time to lay the rods down. I mean from what everyone is saying I think even catch and release is stressing these fish especially since some of the fish in Louise are being lined to the surface multiple times.

Comment

Sorry, don't mind me, I read the info sheet incorrectly. It said that lake trout prefer deep cold lakes and also that they spawn in clear, rocky lake bottoms, so I took that to mean they spawn at the bottom of deep lakes. Obviously not the case. My bad. If enough people are concerned, try to document the situation as best you can and submit a proposal to the BOF. A decent amount of the regulations out there come from practitioners of the sport observing a need and making a proposal.

On a different note, Joe - if you ever have an empty seat for ice fishing on Lake Louise, I'll bring sandwiches and hot toddies
            My signature is awesome.

Comment

I just recall the fellow being an advocate for protecting the lakers to the full extent and have no beef. Also from a few threads on this site have noticed the extreme concern for lake trout coming from those who fish them the most so maybe itís time to lay the rods down. I mean from what everyone is saying I think even catch and release is stressing these fish especially since some of the fish in Louise are being lined to the surface multiple times.
              That may be true, but just to play devil's advocate if you followed your own logic that would be like saying we should stop fishing for rainbows (catch and release) on the Kenai, or else everybody should be entitled to keep a trophy Kenai rainbow. I don't agree with that logic for kenai rainbows or for lake louise lakers.

Originally posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
              Sorry, don't mind me, I read the info sheet incorrectly. It said that lake trout prefer deep cold lakes and also that they spawn in clear, rocky lake bottoms, so I took that to mean they spawn at the bottom of deep lakes. Obviously not the case. My bad. If enough people are concerned, try to document the situation as best you can and submit a proposal to the BOF. A decent amount of the regulations out there come from practitioners of the sport observing a need and making a proposal.

On a different note, Joe - if you ever have an empty seat for ice fishing on Lake Louise, I'll bring sandwiches and hot toddies
              In theory your suggestion is helpful. Here's the problem. From what I know from talking with him personally and with talking with friends of mine who know him personally, Mark Sommersville doesn't seem to care too much about the resource (lakers). Apparently he's all about the Copper River salmon. So perhaps he would like to see the lake trout population reduced, since lake trout are a predator of juvenile salmon.

Comment

A photo a guide posted today on Facebook from Lake Louise. Targeting spawning beds. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1569655032633.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2501982

Comment

I saw this photo on the South central fishing face book page, I made a comment about never thinking to fishing the spawning beds during spawning season. The less than professional guide who might run the page called me all kinds names, mostly F words. LOL. I ended up being kicked off all the South-central fishing face book pages. The last thing I said was it's legal so he can go about his business.

Comment

Yep i dont go on them pages any more. You say one thing that goes against ones belief and you get canned (it's all a hunch of political bs). Him and the one guy who guides for the lodge that's on the point is going to draw much more attention to the lake which is fine but then adfg has to also make changes to the regs to conserve the resource before it's too late. I have only seen the bio out there once and from what I have gathered he talks with one of the guides about how fishing is going. I dont think a person can base fishing success off a guide who fishes the lake every day. I think it gives a very biased opinion on how well the fishery is doing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                      I have only seen the bio out there once and from what I have gathered he talks with one of the guides about how fishing is going. I dont think a person can base fishing success off a guide who fishes the lake every day. I think it gives a very biased opinion on how well the fishery is doing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      It almost sounds like it's being managed by the mafia. Perhaps the guide is giving the bio a little pocket change under the table to keep things running smoothly and to keep his mouth shut. It definitely sounds like a conflict of interest relationship if you ask me.

Comment

Id agree on closing it down during the spawn season, then lets hold a tourney this winter!
                        "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Comment

That may be true, but just to play devil's advocate if you followed your own logic that would be like saying we should stop fishing for rainbows (catch and release) on the Kenai, or else everybody should be entitled to keep a trophy Kenai rainbow. I don't agree with that logic for kenai rainbows or for lake louise lakers.

In theory your suggestion is helpful. Here's the problem. From what I know from talking with him personally and with talking with friends of mine who know him personally, Mark Sommersville doesn't seem to care too much about the resource (lakers). Apparently he's all about the Copper River salmon. So perhaps he would like to see the lake trout population reduced, since lake trout are a predator of juvenile salmon.

Or or perhaps mr Somerville is too tied up in his dispute with Tolsona lodge for the time being so Laker management is on hold, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Tron-diuck View Post
                            A photo a guide posted today on Facebook from Lake Louise. Targeting spawning beds. [ATTACH=CONFIG]98320[/ATTACH]
                            Not cool. :mad:
                            I love my lakers but I don't fish spawning water.
                            I fish deep water next to those areas. Once the spawn is done and they have a good start on recuperation they move to the areas I fish. The water temps are in the low 40's by this time. On my lake in the NWT the launch bay freezes up right about this time so I usually get a week or two of good fishing before I have to park the boat.

The progression of the bite (at least on my lake) is pretty easy to follow. 47 to 49 degrees lots of pike, 45 to 47 degrees fairly equal numbers of pike and lakers. 43 to 45 degrees mostly lakers with a couple of pike in the mix and 40 to 43 degrees all lakers.
                            sigpic
                            www.arcticangler.ca
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Or or perhaps mr Somerville is too tied up in his dispute with Tolsona lodge for the time being so Laker management is on hold, who knows.
                              What dispute is that?

Comment

What dispute is that?
                                Theres been a dispute over that boat launch for years that the state had cut through the property and now itís getting more petty about complaints of CMVís parked at the lodge and other threats to call in the law, just craziness out there.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X