Laker Spawn Shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laker Spawn Shut down

Does anybody know the reasoning why ADFG shuts down areas of trophy rainbow waters during the spawn but they dont shut down trophy lake trout lakes during the spawn? Its almost seems like a money issue. Lakers dont bring in as much money to the state or local economy as the kenai river rainbows do so adfg doesnt worry about them as much maybe?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I would bet it has rooted more in science than economics. The spawning practices of rainbow trout and other salmonids in running streams is quite a bit different than those of lake trout. ADF&G has an interesting info sheet on lake trout that says they spawn in deep areas of the lakes in the middle of the night. This is quite different than trout cultivating a redd for days in an easily accessible (to anglers) stretch of a stream. So it would seem that anglers are much more able and likely to disturb spawning RT than LT.

Again, I'm no fish biologist; that's just what makes sense to me. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
      I would bet it has rooted more in science than economics. The spawning practices of rainbow trout and other salmonids in running streams is quite a bit different than those of lake trout. ADF&G has an interesting info sheet on lake trout that says they spawn in deep areas of the lakes in the middle of the night. This is quite different than trout cultivating a redd for days in an easily accessible (to anglers) stretch of a stream. So it would seem that anglers are much more able and likely to disturb spawning RT than LT.

Again, I'm no fish biologist; that's just what makes sense to me. -Gr
      Lake trout spawn in shallow water and can be observed visually while spawning. Lake trout show a high degree of fidelity in returning to their natal reef to spawn. Once these spawning sites have been located, they can be exploited year after year. Unfortunately, certain businesses are exploiting such reefs on Lake Louise in the fall.
      Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
        Lake trout spawn in shallow water and can be observed visually while spawning. Lake trout show a high degree of fidelity in returning to their natal reef to spawn. Once these spawning sites have been located, they can be exploited year after year. Unfortunately, certain businesses are exploiting such reefs on Lake Louise in the fall.
        That is more along the lines of what i was thinking. I know they spawn shallow and are easily targeted this time of year. They cant tell me that catching spawning fish doesnt effect the fish at all (thats why i am sure they shut it down for rainbows added stress doesnt help). All the photos i see from a certain business sure looks like they are fishing the shallow fish from how far away from the bank they are in the photos. I think that those fish have been getting more pressure as the years go by and will continue to receive more pressure so i would think adfg would try to get ahead of the curve and start protecting them when they are most vulnerable. But thats just an opinion from a dude who only fishes for them on the ice.

Comment

Make a proposal for the BOF and see if they will pass such a proposal. Helps to get a little help from F&G if you are not well versed in crafting proposals. Also they can give you an inication if they would be likely to support your proposal.

Comment

Any derbies going on any time soon?

Comment

I have a cabin on Lake Lousie. There are definitely shallow spawning reefs. The fish mill around like sitting ducks. As mentioned earlier, there are a couple of businesses that are unwisely exploiting these areas. Talk about eating your seed corn...

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
                Does anybody know the reasoning why ADFG shuts down areas of trophy rainbow waters during the spawn but they dont shut down trophy lake trout lakes during the spawn? Its almost seems like a money issue. Lakers dont bring in as much money to the state or local economy as the kenai river rainbows do so adfg doesnt worry about them as much maybe?
                I agree. If anything, I feel like lakers are more vulnerable to mortality during the spawn then rainbows. Considering the fact that they are in a closed system, they are alternate year spawners, and they have a low fecundity.

Comment

Lake trout eggs have been found to have a very low survival rate to hatching (less than 2%) due to egg predation, particularly on substrates where eggs are left exposed (Wagner 1992).

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                    Lake trout eggs have been found to have a very low survival rate to hatching (less than 2%) due to egg predation, particularly on substrates where eggs are left exposed (Wagner 1992).
                    They are broadcast spawners so that probably contributes to the lower survival rate. They also predominately spawn in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by smithtb View Post
                      They are broadcast spawners so that probably contributes to the lower survival rate. They also predominately spawn in the dark.
                      I would look to Canada and Minnesota to find information on lake trout spawning and biology. Alaska does not have money to spend on lake trout research so nothing meaningful has been done for 20 years this is direct from fish and game people in Fairbanks. Also read the north alaska fishing regulations several lakes are closed to fishing during September to keep anglers from catching spawners I have fished lake trout in several places they do not really bite when spawning but remain on shallow reefs after spawning. At lakes in Manitoba have visually fished them in October you have to time it you can fish on them and fish on them and they will not bite then as the spawning completes literally one by one they start biting until they are all biting but Alaska really does not have those types of lakes with the numbers and size of fish. At Yellowstone lake you can catch and kill as many as you want if you want to.

Comment

All I hear are complaints about this lake trout fishery up here,... Everyone gets offended if you donít release your catch or if there is a spot of blood showing on your fish or if the fish touches ice and so on. I think everyone should lay down there rods for two years and stop stressing lake Louise lakers for a while. AKhardwater knows what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
                          All I hear are complaints about this lake trout fishery up here,... Everyone gets offended if you donít release your catch or if there is a spot of blood showing on your fish or if the fish touches ice and so on. I think everyone should lay down there rods for two years and stop stressing lake Louise lakers for a while. AKhardwater knows what I mean.
                          Part of it is being jealous I would not stop fishing to keep someone from complaining. Thatís what it is like down here on the Kenai River.

Comment

Originally posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
                            Alaska does not have money to spend on lake trout research so nothing meaningful has been done for 20 years this is direct from fish and game people in Fairbannks Like i said lakers dont bring muc money to the state so they dont put much money towards research on them. Also read the north alaska fishing regulations several lakes are closed to fishing during September to keep anglers from catching spawners Quickly scanned and i saw one lake "fielding" that has a laker shut down. I have fished lake trout in several places they do not really bite when spawning but remain on shallow reefs after spawning. Everyone i have talked to up here who fishes lakers says they are fairly easy to catch during the spawn. I havent found a fish that isnt agressive during the spawn. At lakes in Manitoba. We are talking about alaska. have visually fished them in October you have to time it you can fish on them and fish on them and they will not bite then as the spawning completes literally one by one they start biting until they are all biting but Alaska really does not have those types of lakes with the numbers and size of fish. At Yellowstone lake you can catch and kill as many as you want if you want to. 2 minutes of research shows that they were introduced and non native, thats why they say kill them all just like the apparent introduced pike in south central ak.
                            Just because fish are the same species i believe they act different depending on the lake and its conditions, depths, elevations.

Comment

Originally posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
                              I would look to Canada and Minnesota to find information on lake trout spawning and biology. Alaska does not have money to spend on lake trout research so nothing meaningful has been done for 20 years this is direct from fish and game people in Fairbanks. Also read the north alaska fishing regulations several lakes are closed to fishing during September to keep anglers from catching spawners I have fished lake trout in several places they do not really bite when spawning but remain on shallow reefs after spawning. At lakes in Manitoba have visually fished them in October you have to time it you can fish on them and fish on them and they will not bite then as the spawning completes literally one by one they start biting until they are all biting but Alaska really does not have those types of lakes with the numbers and size of fish. At Yellowstone lake you can catch and kill as many as you want if you want to.
                              20 years? Surprised ADF&G in Fairbanks said that. This search took five seconds.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS10-85.pdf

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X