Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road accessible Cook Inlet clamming closed for another year including 2020

Eastside Cook Inlet Beaches Remain Closed to Personal Use Clamming
    All eastside Cook Inlet beaches will remain closed to personal use and sport clamming in 2019 since any razor clam harvest will likely delay recovery of the population. These closures prohibit the taking of any clam species from the mouth of the Kenai River to the southernmost tip of the Homer Spit. The closure is effective at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, January 1, 2019 and will be in effect for the remainder of the year.
    From 2009-2015, eastside Cook Inlet razor clams experienced poor recruitment of juvenile sized razor clams and a high natural mortality rate of mature sized razor clams, which both resulted in a significant decline in abundance leading to the closure of the fishery.
    Causes of the decline in razor clam abundance remains unknown but may include a combination of heavy surf, habitat changes, environmental stressors and predation. Eastside razor clam populations are beginning to rebuild, but uncertainties remain if it will continue into 2019. Razor clam abundance surveys are scheduled for the spring of 2019 on Ninilchik and Clam Gulch beaches to assess abundance of juvenile and mature sized razor clams, recruitment to the beach and mature size, annual growth, natural mortality, and potential harvest opportunity.
    This closure does not affect recreational razor clam regulations on westside Cook Inlet beaches. If you have any questions, please contact the ADF&G Homer Office at (907) 235-8191.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

I volunteer myself for the test dig. I'll keep what I dig, thank you very much.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
      I volunteer myself for the test dig. I'll keep what I dig, thank you very much.
      Yeah....what a drag. My kids loved clamming from a very young age. And I sure miss them at the dinner table...!!!

Merry Christmas Ross...!!!
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I've been clamming for 60 plus years. Love some fried razor clams. Guess I'll have to go across again this year.

Comment

Closed again (but a glimmer of hope?)

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Static-sf/EONR/PDFs/2020/R2/EO%202-RCL-7-03-20.pdf

Razor clamstudies will be conducted again in the spring of 2020 on Ninilchik and Clam Gulch beaches and will be used to assess potential harvest opportunity after adult abundances are available in late May. Based onthe 2019 studies, there may be sufficient abundances of adult size clams at the Ninilchik beaches tosupport a limited harvest opportunity if survival rates are moderate.

Comment

Added 2020 to the title to alleviate confusion.

I used to love digging clams. Found a new source though so no big deal.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I have been buying processed clams from the clammery next to my gravel pit in Nikiski. They aren't cheap, but I gotta have them.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                I have been buying processed clams from the clammery next to my gravel pit in Nikiski. They aren't cheap, but I gotta have them.
                Well that's news to me, as I had never heard of a clammery out north....

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                  Well that's news to me, as I had never heard of a clammery out north....
                  I built my house here in 86. They were here then.

Comment

I've never heard of a clammery! I'd clamor for one if i knew who to ask.

Comment

Its actually the largest razor clam plant in the world."

http://www.alaskafishradio.com/abund...ck-recovering/

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrerak View Post
                        Its actually the largest razor clam plant in the world."

http://www.alaskafishradio.com/abund...ck-recovering/

Cool! I'm amazed that such industry could be sustainable. I have seen them for sale at our local quick stop type store... may have to break down and buy some. I miss the chowder and fried strips made from those critters.
                        In my opinion, those beaches from Kasilof to Ninilchik got too heavily picked over, and there wasn't much enforcement.

Comment

Didn't they close it down right after that big storm killed thousands of them? I remember seeing that picture somebody posted....dead clams as far as you could see down the beach. What a shame that was!

Comment

Didn't they close it down right after that big storm killed thousands of them? I remember seeing that picture somebody posted....dead clams as far as you could see down the beach. What a shame that was!
                            There were at least 2 of those events. One was much worse than the other.

Comment

That happened, and was the nail in the coffin, so to speak, but man, I've witnessed years of waste and overharvesting on those beaches before that storm (or storms) happened and wondered how it could go on.
                              Here's to a future of clamming! It should be part of our peninsula identity again.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X