The HANGBACK revisited...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Funstastic View Post

Again, just my .02. You don't need to throw a fowl-mouthed tantrum because you don't like it.

???

Just
    For
    Clarification
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Comment

Uh huh. And I suppose when you posted, "Snagged? YGTBFKM, right?" (in the discussion you linked in your 5th post), the "F" was not an expletive either.

Carry on Doc, and good luck with your campaign. I've got fish to clean.

Comment

I've got fish to clean.
        Yeah, I gotta go too. I'm sorting old family pics, including a very few of my long-departed grandpap. He was a wise man with deep insights into human nature. He also had a gift for words and loved coining ditties. His most famous is worth repeating here:

Bulls and horses
        Will green up golf courses
        But they don't do the work
        With their mouths
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
          Bulls and horses
          Will green up golf courses
          But they don't do the work
          With their mouths
          I like your grandpap!

Comment

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
            sigpic
            The KeenEye MD

Comment

Snagged

5 AAC 75.022 Freshwater Sport Fishing - "Snag" means hook a fish elsewhere than in the mouth.
              http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp

ADF&G Sport Fishing Regulations Summary - Page 6 - "Snag" means to hook a fish elsewhere than in its mouth.
              http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s_complete.pdf

ADF&G - "snag means to hook a fish elsewhere than in its mouth (see "Prohibited Acts")."
              http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....sfdefinitions

Response to the "in the mouth" question concerning 5 AAC 75.022 by Director Jame Corkrell, Alaska State Troopers, Department of Public Safety (our F&G enforcement in AK)...

"To answer your question, in essence the regulation intent is that the fish must be hooked inside the mouth, meaning the fish must bite or take the hook. If the hook is inside the gill plate or stomach that implies the fish took the hook. I hope this answers your question. Thanks j"

Comment

5 AAC 75.022 Freshwater Sport Fishing - "Snag" means hook a fish elsewhere than in the mouth.
                http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/aac.asp

ADF&G Sport Fishing Regulations Summary - Page 6 - "Snag" means to hook a fish elsewhere than in its mouth.
                http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s_complete.pdf

ADF&G - "snag means to hook a fish elsewhere than in its mouth (see "Prohibited Acts")."
                http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....sfdefinitions

Response to the "in the mouth" question concerning 5 AAC 75.022 by Director Jame Corkrell, Alaska State Troopers, Department of Public Safety (our F&G enforcement in AK)...

"To answer your question, in essence the regulation intent is that the fish must be hooked inside the mouth, meaning the fish must bite or take the hook. If the hook is inside the gill plate or stomach that implies the fish took the hook. I hope this answers your question. Thanks j"
                Fun,

Do you think if I, as a private angler, were to go down to the bank anywhere on the Kenai and start slinging a single weighted hook with a few beads and started yanking on my rod that anyone would think I wasn't trying to snag a fish? What if I put a little spinner in front of the beads and hook...apparently that makes it ok??? Or maybe it's only ok if I were to hand that same gear to a guy who gave me money and I have in a boat next to me.

By his own account nearly 36 dead on arrival kings that were supposed to be caught and released, and almost 300 dead catch and release kings from this one guys boat, who snags kings and celebrates it while the stock is failing.

Hey 'doc', why don't you snag...errr catch salmon in Washington and stop killing our Alaskan salmon?
                “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

I think there are lots of creative ways to snag fish, and lots of creative ways to justify it. Using 6-8" hangbacks to C&R on weak stocks in the name of conservation, is just one.

Comment

sigpic
                    The KeenEye MD

Comment

sigpic
                      The KeenEye MD

Comment

You're sure determined to get folks in trouble with Fish and Wildlife Protection promoting your snag-back methods, aren't you.

I directed a friend from those ranks to this thread and he came away laughing, thanking me for the tip. He's looking forward to watching the gear in action. He sezz that if he sees anyone using such a rig, their catch is going to get an extra special examination! :topjob:
                        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

I'd welcome your LEO friend to spend a day on the water in my boat to see for himself the merits and conservation benefits of hangback rigging. It's the most responsible way to fish over biters whenever part or all of the catch is expected to be released.... which is basically almost always.

I've never participated in a fishery where some or all of the catch wasn't retainable for one reason or another.

If fish must be released along the way, this rigging consistently produces NON-mortal hookups that facilitate the rapid and safe hook removal to maximize the survival/viability of the released catch.
                          sigpic
                          The KeenEye MD

Comment

It’s okay Doc that you’re trying a different method to reduce catch and release mortality. The same people who are against your method are also the same people who are against proactive/progressive measures by certain setnetters to reduce their harvest of weaker stocks. Some people just want to kill them all whether they’re on a hook or a net. Sigh.

Comment

sigpic
                              The KeenEye MD

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
                                I'd welcome your LEO friend to spend a day on the water in my boat to see for himself the merits and conservation benefits of hangback rigging. It's the most responsible way to fish over biters whenever part or all of the catch is expected to be released.... which is basically almost always.

I've never participated in a fishery where some or all of the catch wasn't retainable for one reason or another.

If fish must be released along the way, this rigging consistently produces NON-mortal hookups that facilitate the rapid and safe hook removal to maximize the survival/viability of the released catch.
                                Great.

Unfortunately nothing said there (which is purely your opinion) makes for LEGAL hook-ups.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X