Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I always thought it was an urban legend, until yesterday !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always thought it was an urban legend, until yesterday !!

I actually met a woman at work yesterday that thought Alaska was down by Mexico.

She couldn't understand what "North to Alaska" meant, when I couldn't understand what she meant, she pulled out a map that looked like this.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Nice! Not that I would bring up politics just not my style most days however would this person also be considered what is known as a Low Information Voter?

Comment

I'm sometimes dumbfounded on how disturbingly stupid people are. They must of seen a map like this at some point in their lives that caused them to believe Alaska is just floating out there in the ocean (they wouldn't know it's the Pacific) with Hawaii. Heard this said by more than one of them "You can't drive to Alaska, you have to take a boat or fly".

Comment

Originally posted by ysr_racer View Post
        I actually met a woman at work yesterday that thought Alaska was down by Mexico.

She couldn't understand what "North to Alaska" meant, when I couldn't understand what she meant, she pulled out a map that looked like this.

I've taught kids in lower 48 that didn't understand that Ak and HI didn't have similar climates. Another misconception is that Alaska isn't that larger

Comment

I guess they must think the border patrol is busy trying to keep out the Alaskans and Hawaiians.
          Louis Knapp

Comment

When I lived in AZ a women I worked with was going to trade me a 10 dollar bill for a 100 dollar bill because I told her our money was worth more, the look on her face when i
            pulled out a 10 dollar bill followed by a .......hey tha is the same 10 dollar bill we have here. I laughed and said yeah no kidding alaska is part of the United States. She didn't think I was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
              When I lived in AZ a women I worked with was going to trade me a 10 dollar bill for a 100 dollar bill because I told her our money was worth more, the look on her face when i
              pulled out a 10 dollar bill followed by a .......hey tha is the same 10 dollar bill we have here. I laughed and said yeah no kidding alaska is part of the United States. She didn't think I was funny.
              In a previous career, I was a Purchasing Agent for the State DOT/PF... you'd be surprised (well maybe not) at the number of vendors "down below) who always followed up their quote with "that's US Dollars you know)...!

Comment

My grand kids were just up. Could not understand why it was so cold when we were so close to Mexico.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Yup, the Merican edumacation system seems to be working just fine. :whistle:
                  sigpic
                  www.arcticangler.ca
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                    Yup, the Merican edumacation system seems to be working just fine. :whistle:
                    Is it the system or the level of effort put into learning by modern families?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
                      Is it the system or the level of effort put into learning by modern families?

modern families and legislation created that affects education by non educators.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                        modern families and legislation created that affects education by non educators.
                        Not sure I'm following you on the legislation?

Comment

Not sure I'm following you on the legislation?

Legislation may not have been right choice of words but Common core and most education regs(high stakes testing) are created with little input from those that work in the field. There's a push to privatize public education or go to these charter schools. It's all about money.

Blame the teachers but not families. Successful education has three components. The teacher. The parents. The student.

I am just now drinking coffee. More responsible responses could come in an appropriate setting.

even here in AK there was legislation presented that would cut funding to rural schools. Basically all students would have got same amount of funding. Even though bush schools cost way more to run. I can not remember the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                            Legislation may not have been right choice of words but Common core and most education regs(high stakes testing) are created with little input from those that work in the field. There's a push to privatize public education or go to these charter schools. It's all about money.

Blame the teachers but not families. Successful education has three components. The teacher. The parents. The student.

I am just now drinking coffee. More responsible responses could come in an appropriate setting.

even here in AK there was legislation presented that would cut funding to rural schools. Basically all students would have got same amount of funding. Even though bush schools cost way more to run. I can not remember the bill.
                            Ok now I follow you. I'm not well versed on that end of things, I just recall what teachers put up with when I was in school and when I assisted my younger sisters class for a year. Very sad the kind of home life many children have, making it no surprise they don't learn much.

As anti-overreach as I tend to be I sure wish they would start regulating conception!

Comment

Ok now I follow you. I'm not well versed on that end of things, I just recall what teachers put up with when I was in school and when I assisted my younger sisters class for a year. Very sad the kind of home life many children have, making it no surprise they don't learn much.

As anti-overreach as I tend to be I sure wish they would start regulating conception!

It's truly sad. As manly as I am, I still shed tears every year over my students. I'll never forget a kid I had once. Oldest of 6 at that time (now 9) in 4th grade. Mom was 26 yrs old. During testing he couldn't stay awake. Asked why and was shocked. Drug raid. Two weeks later he was given weed by a friend of his family. There are times you just want to take them all home.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X