Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fraser river chemical spill#effects on salmon fisheries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraser river chemical spill#effects on salmon fisheries.

1.3 billion gallons of chemical waste headed for our waters

Make that 40 billion gallons.

The most productive Salmon river in the world in full bloom devastated.

Mines and Salmon rivers don't mix.
    Redleader standing by

Comment

15 million cubic meters (and counting) of toxic sludge into the Fraser River system.
      And this mine operation is tiny compared to what is proposed for Pebble.

A vote for Pebble is a vote for this.
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Billions of gallons of toxic waste held only by a dirt embankment, they should have seen this coming.

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
          Billions of gallons of toxic waste held only by a dirt embankment, they should have seen this coming.
          Anyone who doesn't see this coming has his/her head stuck somewhere dark.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

After a record king salmon year here in southeast and many of those fish coming from the Fraser; this makes me sick...

Comment

This seriously unfortunate event should erase any statement that mining (of this kind and scale) can coexist with wild salmon.
              "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Comment

Mind boggling that this mine was permitted to operate as such in such a pristine area...a high risk situation, combined with a low tech approach to containment. Shameful.

Comment

And why is there not any mine defenders on this thread?...:shot:

Comment

Because there is several million pinks and a few silvers in the river...

Oh and because little if any productive discussion occurs in this type of thread...

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
                      Because there is several million pinks and a few silvers in the river...

Oh and because little if any productive discussion occurs in this type of thread...
                      Right on both counts.

Comment

JFC!

GDITMMM!

Fuggin Canadians wanna do the same to Bristol Bay

Makes my insides hurt to see this type of human assault on the planet

JFC!
                        "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                        sigpic
                        The KeenEye MD

Comment

Wonder what the people that live around that area think about it. What would you think if this disaster was in your backyard, or in an area where you liked to go for hunting & fishing. But hey, the president of the mine says the water is fine for drinking, and won't harm fish. Pink salmon are not the lowest form of life, and shouldn't be treated as such.
                          Alaska really does not need these types of mines operating here.

And there are other threads besides this type that have little if any productiveness around here...

Comment

Bristol Bay Vs. Pebble can be put to rest...

No more what if's and promises and hypothetical situations - we now get to see the resluts when the unthinkable happens. Pebble/Northern Dynasty hired the same company in 2006 to design the Pebble tailings dam that built the Mount Polley tailings dam - one they said would never fail.

All of the questions about whether the salmon and their spawning/rearing habitat can coexist with a large scale mine that produces toxic tailings will be answered over the next 20-30 years.

My heart goes out to those who live on/near the Fraser; your lives have been changed. Like the Valdez spill of 89 - Imperial Metals will litigate away their true responsibility of this disaster.

To all of those who made a living off the sustainable fisheries and the pristine vacation areas in/on the Fraser River systems - I wish you luck in the enormous battle you have ahead with Imperial Metals.

Definitely a sad sad situation...
                            When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

And Parnell just appointed the former Pebble Mine spokesman as the state fishery adviser. Parnell has lost my vote and any confidence I had in him.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X