eagle rock pinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eagle rock pinks

Noticed the pinks were in a couple days ago, so went to Eagle Rock and threw in some lures. We were hoping to get some nice bright dimes colored ones. I saw a lot of jumpers out by the big rock in the main channel, and a few in the channels by the boat launch. Some of the fish may have been reds too, but I saw a few people catching some out of boats. Anyway, we were using kodiac customs and pixies (tried pink, green, and blue) and had zero bites whatsoever. We also went back later in the week and saw jumpers without any biters. Last I remember at swiftwater, two years ago we were nailing em' one right after the other with lures. Is there something we're doing wrong or are they just not hungry?? Should I just wait until bait opens up? If nothing else, I may try cunningham at low tide.
    Good luck to those who are after em'.
    AKFishFight

I tried there today for about 20 minutes. tried 4 or five different size/color kodiak customs without a bite, realized i was fishing for pinks and decided to go home. lots of jumpers, zero bites.

Comment

Give it a week and you won't be able to keep em off

Comment

You may already be doing this, but you may just need to get your gear closer to the bottom. Jumping pinks often hold close to bottom, then rocket up to jump and then right back down (I've got some cool underwater GoPro video of this). They don't really hang out in the upper water column much. Though you can get a few in the top few feet of water, try to keep your offering close to bottom and you should have better luck.

Scott

Comment

I have also found that smaller lures work better on fresher pinks. Kodiak spinners and Mepps that silvers won't leave alone will cause pinks to run for cover. Spinners about 2" long have produced pinks well for me over the decades. Mostly I use flys such as a purple ESL or basic flash fly.

Comment

Best biters in the river. Been catching them all week with an assortment of flies, jigs, rubber worms, spoons, spinners, and plugs. Large and small they hit'em all.

Although the kids have had a few chances, I'm still waiting for them to land that first coho
            "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
            sigpic
            The KeenEye MD

Comment

Good to hear Doc. My wife and kids and I are headed that direction for the next several days. The drift boat is hitched and and ready. A few more hours in the office this morning and we'll be on the road. Have fun out there everyone!

Comment

Trying to upload a few pics but my local Wi-Fi is S-O-O-O-O slow.
                "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                sigpic
                The KeenEye MD

Comment

sigpic
                  The KeenEye MD

Comment

Handsome Kidlets!!

Comment

That's an interesting point about the size, and also that they hold tight to the bottom. I'll be using all you guys's advice.
                      And actually, we hit them pretty good at morgans landing too. got 2 reds and several pinks. didn't think they'd be up that far yet... it makes me wonder just how many of those "reds" are pinks. I heard around 66k went up yesterday?
                      Nice pics!

Comment

I fished two nights ago at the Pillars and we ended up with nine reds and one pink for the three of us. The folks counting reds have it down pretty good so I think the current sockeye counts are pretty accurate.

Comment

sigpic
                          The KeenEye MD

Comment

sigpic
                            The KeenEye MD

Comment

Doc Nice Photo's.
                              I will be back on the 7-th any Coho Silvers swiming in?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X