No announcement yet.

Fly rod on spin reel (for red flipping)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly rod on spin reel (for red flipping)

Broke my fly rod but have backup casting rod was wondering if anyone has put their fly reel on a casting rod. My mom uses my gear while I am on baby detail and she doesn't like the feel of the monofilament of the usual reel? Theoretically I don't see why this wouldn't work for flipping reds

It'll work
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Comment

You may think I'm kidding, but the absolute best flipping rod I've ever seen a guy use was a piece of plain old bamboo about 10' long tapered to around half an inch at the tip. He'd tied on 8' of 200# mono to a big barrel swivel, with 3' of 40# Maxima below that. No pretense of a reel or fly fishing. The big barrel swivel kept his weights from sliding down, and when he hooked a fish, he could have it up on the bank with one flip. Any time someone crossed his line, he just gave a jerk, and the other guy was tying on a new outfit. He flat smoked the reds. If I go to one of the flipping hot spots, you can bet I'll be outfitting myself with exactly the same outfit. Absolutely impressive. No messing around. Get er done and go home.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

Bamboo Meat Stik - I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
          Bamboo Meat Stik - I like it!
          It really worked. He looked like those guys on tuna boats flipping tuna over their heads. Maybe that's where he got the idea. Sure looked like he was having fun "fighting" the fish like everyone else until he was sure it was legal hooked, then zip. Outa the water. Gotta admire him. Had about $3 tied up in his fly fishing outfit, and he caught fish better than anyone around.
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by jaeger33 View Post
            Broke my fly rod but have backup casting rod was wondering if anyone has put their fly reel on a casting rod. My mom uses my gear while I am on baby detail and she doesn't like the feel of the monofilament of the usual reel? Theoretically I don't see why this wouldn't work for flipping reds

It'll work
            IMO, It's more the technique than the rod.

Comment

We use cane poles back home for catching brim when they are spawning. Same deal a piece of Cain 12' or so long with 10-20' of lone at the end if you need it shorter just twist the line around the tip, longer un twist. We use them for the extra reach, they get really spooked and shy but using polarized glasses we can murder them.

Comment

to the op problem you'll find is the line getting looped around the bottom handle of the stick on a large casting pole(not just flipping of course) but I started that way

Comment

flippin

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                  You may think I'm kidding, but the absolute best flipping rod I've ever seen a guy use was a piece of plain old bamboo about 10' long tapered to around half an inch at the tip. He'd tied on 8' of 200# mono to a big barrel swivel, with 3' of 40# Maxima below that. No pretense of a reel or fly fishing. The big barrel swivel kept his weights from sliding down, and when he hooked a fish, he could have it up on the bank with one flip. Any time someone crossed his line, he just gave a jerk, and the other guy was tying on a new outfit. He flat smoked the reds. If I go to one of the flipping hot spots, you can bet I'll be outfitting myself with exactly the same outfit. Absolutely impressive. No messing around. Get er done and go home.
                  Alaska adaptation of Tenkara fly fishing
                  NRA Lifetime Member

Comment

A better comparison, for sure. Of course, with that heavy "rod" it looked more like pole-and-line tuna fishing. Come to think of it, that does look a whole lot like busy weekends on the Kenai/Russian, doesn't it!
                    Merle Haggard

Comment

stick and string is all you need
                      sigpic
                      Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                      www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X