Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob the fisher
    replied
    I know where that spot is I think, it is a wonderfuly quiet spot. piece and serenity for sure. One of the few places left in the state. I miss those father son trip. Mine have all grown up and moved away. "fishon"

Leave a comment:

• DannerAK
    replied
    Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Our campsite and sunset
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Photos!

My son (12 yrs old) driving out to Porcupine Island from Quartz Creek and Porcupine Island in the distance.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Just back from two days at Kenai with my son. Had a great trip despite not catching any fish. (Which doesn't surprise me as the only place in AK I have ever caught fish on a hook is Tangle Lakes.) We fished all around Porcupine Island in the early to mid morning. Threw small spinners on light tackle but nothing.

That's okay, my son drove the Sport Boat about 12 miles over the weekend, which was good experience for him. The lake was calm with glass-like water. We went up the lake in the afternoon looking for black bears, etc. There was one other group camping across the cove from us and it was awesomely quiet all weekend...much better than a campground.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I find the cable for the camera.

Leave a comment:

• josebl
    replied
    http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/ref...anoe_route.pdf
    Take another look at the swanson.
    Its is open to motors 10 HP for most of the area around the launch. In August the silvers are in thick.

Leave a comment:

• andweav
    replied
    You should be able to sneak along the shore down to porky isl in most weather conditions. There is a decent campsite on one of the points you pass a few miles down from qtz cr and probably others before you get to the island.

Don't underestimate the swells in that lake as you get very far from shore. Easy to be lulled into security since it is such a skinny lake. At least that was the feeling I had as a novice sea kayaker there.

Sounds like you've not struck out at all but found a good trip. Enjoy and remember around this forum it didn't happen without a few photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Oh, by the way, I talked to the folks at the Seward office for USFS, and they said Porcupine Island was completely open to primitive camping free of charge with no reservations. You're even allowed to have a camp fire without a metal ring. Given all the grief I've been reading about island camping prohibited on the Kenai, I think we're going to Porcupine.

I figure it will take us just over an hour to make the 6 miles from Quartz Creek running near the shore. This coming week, I am going to experiement with towing my son's hard shell kayak. If that works, we'll tow that so he can paddle the cove between the island and shore. Do some fishing near the island and call it a weekend.

Obviously, we'll have to watch the weather forecast for best conditions.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by limon32 View Post
    Whatever you decide, take lots of bug spray and head nets, they've been really bad again this year!

Thanks. We have a "bug box" which is just a storage container with tons of bug coils, those Off brand fans, a thermacell and replacements pieces, bug dope, and head nets. I never leave home without it.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Whatever you decide, take lots of bug spray and head nets, they've been really bad again this year!

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary View Post
    How much has your kid been in a canoe? Will he be a help paddling & keeping the canoe upright or is he apt to cause an incident (particularly in rough water)?
    If I were you, I'd borrow or rent a portagable canoe (REI is a great place to rent - espically if you're a member); forget about taking a motor and hit the Swanson River canoe trails. The fishing will be easy & plentiful. The canoeing will be easy. And the portages aren't too bad - a lot of them are under 1/4 mile. Pick up a copy of "The Kenai Canoe Trails" - one of the BEST and most comprehensive "how to do it" books I've found. Some of the lakes even have islands with established campsites. Best of all, if you go during the week, you'll probably be by yourselves - a real "wilderness experience".
    Try it - you'll like it.
    If we were to do that, he would go in a kayak. Not exactly what we're looking for...err, what I'm looking for...but you're right, would be a substitute activity.

Leave a comment:

• Gary
    replied
    How much has your kid been in a canoe? Will he be a help paddling & keeping the canoe upright or is he apt to cause an incident (particularly in rough water)?
    If I were you, I'd borrow or rent a portagable canoe (REI is a great place to rent - espically if you're a member); forget about taking a motor and hit the Swanson River canoe trails. The fishing will be easy & plentiful. The canoeing will be easy. And the portages aren't too bad - a lot of them are under 1/4 mile. Pick up a copy of "The Kenai Canoe Trails" - one of the BEST and most comprehensive "how to do it" books I've found. Some of the lakes even have islands with established campsites. Best of all, if you go during the week, you'll probably be by yourselves - a real "wilderness experience".
    Try it - you'll like it.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    What about those islands on Cooper Lake? Are you allowed to camp/are they suitable for camping, and how do you get in there to launch? Also, what about Porcupine Island? (looks to be 5-6 miles of near shore travel from Quartz Creek.)

I've been out on both Tustumena and Skilak in a canoe. Not a problem.......stay close to shore, if it gets rough pull out.....no biggie.

I've camped on Porcupine Is.. It can be real nice. Again.........Kenai lake is big so it can get windy. Just use your head.

Used to boat and camp on Cooper Lake a lot and it's a nice spot. It too can have winds come up on it. So, again...use your head and you'll be fine. If you do Cooper Lake, you get there by going to the end of Snug Harbor Rd. If you want to get away from the majority of people (that camp right at the end of the road) take the canoe down the lake towards the dam. You'll see where the lake narrows and opens up again. Just on the other side of the narrows is a nice place to camp and out of the wind. Caught fish there too when we went. Bring your rifle as there can be some good blackie hunting around there. Neat places to day hike as well.

Have fun....!!!

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    What about those islands on Cooper Lake? Are you allowed to camp/are they suitable for camping, and how do you get in there to launch? Also, what about Porcupine Island? (looks to be 5-6 miles of near shore travel from Quartz Creek.)
    They are very small and rocky if I recall correctly, however there are plenty of decent camping spots along the edge of that lake, out toward the dam is a couple cool ones, I don't think it gets much fishing pressure either, could be good fishing. I've run my river boat up there and its been nice both times, never fished it myself.

Leave a comment:

• FL2AK-Old Town
    replied
    Hmmm. According to the Kenai River Special Management Area brochure and the Kenai River supplement to the Alaska Boater's Safety Handbook, camping anywhere other than developed camping facilities, including islands, is prohibited. I think the thread just became obsolete.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X