Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulkana Report!

Hi guys:

I just returned from 2 weeks in the Bahamas with the family so my email is full and the phone is jammed. I will be getting caught up in the next 24 hours.

I am going to be on the river Friday dropping groups off and I will see how everyone is doing. We stopped by the pick up at the Gulkana Bridge and there are quite a few fishing groups along with a cutting table. The gulls and Eagles are feeding on King waste so someone is catching.

Get back to ya by mid day?

Walt

Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290
    "Open for the summer!"

Any word on the river conditions and fishing?

Comment

I am taking some of my military co-workers on our annual Gulkana Raft trip. This year will be different as we will float from Paxson Lake to Sourdough. I am sort of assuming the King run will be shut down before we go (23-26 June). Any safety tips would be appreciated. I make everone wear a life jacket.
      Thanks, Bob (former washed up OH-58 pilot)
      My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Comment

Ok...

It took me 2 days to provide this info. We have been busy and our floaters are doing well

We have had 4 groups fishing over the past 2 days and all have landed kings. Size is good at 18 to 24ish pounds but the thing that is really nice is the color of the fish. All fish we have seen are chrome with no fish showing any color.

I also spoke with AF&G on Friday and they are confident that the run is solid and see no reason to close early. Only time will tell but this is a good start. We are also seeing a very strong and early Red run. We expect to see reds in the river after the 25th or so but this year it is real early. The fish wheels on the Copper are running full as well and out neighbors are seeing 65-70 fish a day and 5-6 kings in the wells as well. The water clarity is good and not to many rafts on the river vet.

Walt

Gulkana Raft Rentals
        907-259-4290

Hope this helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

Walt, doesn't that contradict what they posted in the EO about a solid run? Being they didn't close it (yet) I would venture they wont likely do it at this point.

I did go back a few years and noticed that it looks like they're hitting the wier early this year. Kind of interesting.

That red from this year already?

When they shut down dipping for kings can you folks with wheels continue to catch? I understand its a different fishery, I know zilch on the wheel side of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
            Ok...

It took me 2 days to provide this info. We have been busy and our floaters are doing well

We have had 4 groups fishing over the past 2 days and all have landed kings. Size is good at 18 to 24ish pounds but the thing that is really nice is the color of the fish. All fish we have seen are chrome with no fish showing any color.

I also spoke with AF&G on Friday and they are confident that the run is solid and see no reason to close early. Only time will tell but this is a good start. We are also seeing a very strong and early Red run. We expect to see reds in the river after the 25th or so but this year it is real early. The fish wheels on the Copper are running full as well and out neighbors are seeing 65-70 fish a day and 5-6 kings in the wells as well. The water clarity is good and not to many rafts on the river vet.

Walt

Gulkana Raft Rentals
            907-259-4290

Hope this helps.
            Just wondering... if the King run is so strong, why the EO reducing the annual limit down to 1 fish?

Also...is the photo an example of what is being called a chrome fish? It looks reasonable to harvest, but not chrome by any means IMHO.

thanks for the Gulkana report none the less.
            sigpic
            Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
            www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Hey Peeps! My sources are telling they will make a finale by Friday of what they are going to do concerning Kings and the Gulkana maybe as early as Thurs it is either going to stay at one King Total for the entire Copper River System for the year or option B from what I am told is no C&R and or the targeting / fishing for Kings unlike in years past where they allowed Catch and Release. There was nothing to little happening high this weekend around the forks.

Comment

Was wondering if there is cell coverage on the upper, last year we had cell coverage pretty much from Sourdough to the bridge.

Comment

There's a bit on paxson lake with AT&T but I don't recall much at all from there on down until you get very close to sourdough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a service to tow rafts across paxson lake to the outlet? I would like to float the upper section for the first time but don't have a motor for my cataraft and i hear it's a pretty far piece from the put in.

Comment

Originally posted by awwu View Post
                        Does anyone know if there is a service to tow rafts across paxson lake to the outlet? I would like to float the upper section for the first time but don't have a motor for my cataraft and i hear it's a pretty far piece from the put in.
                        When the wife and I do our ten day (or more) floats we always row across the lake with our full Aire Puma. Takes us about 3 to 3.5 hrs to get across it if I recall. Good practice rowing for the wife while I troll.
                        best to get on the water in the morning tho, as the wind often kicks up a bit in the afternoon.
                        Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                        WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Yep Cod it does get to blowing now and again. Not that big of deal to oar it just plan on the time on a calm day with a little sun makes for some great photo ops. If you really really don't wish to oar it hang at the boat launch normally someone will haul you for a couple of bucks "Normally" :-)

Comment

Originally posted by awwu View Post
                            A little kicker makes a big difference on that trip....I use mine to putt across the lake but also through the 2 different LONG S turn sloughs and then out from the west fork confluence. Cuts a lot of hours off the trip in the less fishable waters.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys this will be my first trip from the lake down to sourdough as we normally put in at sourdough or poplar or just do day trips from sailors but ive always wanted to tackle the rainbow and grayling upstream. Do you guys normally raft through the canyon or long-line your rafts around the bad stuff. I keep hearing about bad rapids with rocks that destroy rafts and i have a 16 foot aire lion cataraft that i am planning on using.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X