Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which shimano reel POW salmon

Hi Guys,
    Need some experienced advice, taking a trip to POW island to catch some Coho Salmon from the river bank, I will need to run 30lb line. We did this trip 3 years ago and the Salmon destroyed the rental fishing gear after just a few catches, seems the point where the handle connects to the reel is the weak spot, we trashed 3 reels on just 8 fish! Trying to decide if the Socorro 6000 will hold up, or should I go with the Spheros 5000, what do you guys think?

Get a mid range Shimano in the 4000 size. Line it with good braid and use a mono leader.

Comment

I have both the 4000 spheros and a 6000, I use the 4000 for silvers and reds and the 6000 for kings and salt water fish. I love them both. Btw I have 25lb braid on the 4000 and 50lb braid on the 6000.

Comment

Originally posted by lgall View Post
        I have both the 4000 spheros and a 6000, I use the 4000 for silvers and reds and the 6000 for kings and salt water fish. I love them both. Btw I have 25lb braid on the 4000 and 50lb braid on the 6000.
        Hi Lgall can you cast good distances with braid I find that I cant cast as far when I use braid

Comment

Riverbank coho?

Even the 3000 Spheros is WAY overkill.

Any of the 2500 series spinning reels in their lineup would be more than adequate…. it's just a matter of picking your price point

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont.../spinning.html
          "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
          sigpic
          The KeenEye MD

Comment

I run 4000s, I like the line capacity and bigger spools. I try and buy one with a retail price over $100 and they seem to hold up for several years. I try to catch them on clearance and rarely pay more than $60 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't use just any braid; go with power pro. I like 40# for silvers. any lighter and it is so fine it is more difficult to deal with. In the mono world, 17 or 20# is as heavy as you need, and a 4000 series spinning reel will handle that. go with new line, like the maxima ultra green. Don't go with cheap, old mono's. mono line needs to be refreshed annually. 30# for coho is wayyyy overkill; I use heavier in braids just to bring the diameter up a little.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X