Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TradBow
    replied
    We all started somewhere....and it generally didn't start with expert slayer in the title .

Lord knows I still have my first baitcaster. Dunno what in sam heck I thought buying it, it worked but I wouldn't use it for Cr on kings. Its a great silver rod that's collecting dust like many of the others...just too many to pick from LOL!

My pet peeve is watching snagged fish landed (usually poorly due to said angler being peeved they cant kill it!). Those are the ones that suffer the hardest. Drag a fish in backwards you're actually killing them! You can do it with any fish including kings...drag or hold them tail first head down river, you're doing them a disservice!

Leave a comment:

• wsg7057
    replied
    No he had a king pole with 50 pound spider wire. He just probably didn't tie a good knot idk.

Leave a comment:

• AaronP
    replied
    Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
    The fish snapped the line and took off when it got too close to shore... doesn't look like a played out fish to me! Kings are big. They're strong. Nobody's born an expert; it takes time and experience to become really proficient at bringing them in quickly and releasing them quickly and cleanly. Not everyone can afford to gear up right, though having the right gear makes such a huge difference in detecting light bites and landing the big one. And even the best still get schooled sometimes!
    Totally agree and understand. It just kills me to see the guys with trout rods fishing catch and release for kings.

Leave a comment:

• willphish4food
    replied
    That's cool. Guys with cameras are as good as LE presence in most cases. If lawbreakers know there's a good chance they'll be caught, they usually don't violate.

As to fish handling and release technique, if you're good at it, the best way to handle that is volunteer to tail the fish for a person. That will put handling the fish into the hands of a person that know what to do, and the person who you've landed the fish for will be pleased with the help. A few tasteful release photos with fish in the water, and let the fish swim off to spawn.

Leave a comment:

• wsg7057
    replied
    No everything was good

Leave a comment:

• willphish4food
    replied
    Originally posted by wsg7057 View Post
    I know it's not the best footage as it was my phone. Didn't bring the go pro wish I would have. I agree with everyone the whole point in catch and release is to cherish you're catch and get a quick pick and let er go. The reason there is no sound is because I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Let's just say we're lucky the line broke. I tried to explain to the guy that these big fish are the ones that are the future. I was fishing all day at the mouth and never saw a fng or trooper all day. I know it's early but there were quite a few rollers . Just hope they tighten up a patrol a little more.
    Did you see any laws broken?

Leave a comment:

• willphish4food
    replied
    Originally posted by AaronP View Post
    I don't have an issue with catch and release if you have the right equipment to do it. A heavy rod with heavy line is necessary to get the fish in quick without taking all of its energy. Those fish that get played out on those Wal Mart Specials may as well just go home with the person that catches them as they are dead anyway.
    The fish snapped the line and took off when it got too close to shore... doesn't look like a played out fish to me! Kings are big. They're strong. Nobody's born an expert; it takes time and experience to become really proficient at bringing them in quickly and releasing them quickly and cleanly. Not everyone can afford to gear up right, though having the right gear makes such a huge difference in detecting light bites and landing the big one. And even the best still get schooled sometimes!

Leave a comment:

• The Kid
    replied
    That dude has some stylin waders

Leave a comment:

• wsg7057
    replied
    I know it's not the best footage as it was my phone. Didn't bring the go pro wish I would have. I agree with everyone the whole point in catch and release is to cherish you're catch and get a quick pick and let er go. The reason there is no sound is because I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Let's just say we're lucky the line broke. I tried to explain to the guy that these big fish are the ones that are the future. I was fishing all day at the mouth and never saw a fng or trooper all day. I know it's early but there were quite a few rollers . Just hope they tighten up a patrol a little more.

Leave a comment:

• kwackkillncrew
    replied
    Originally posted by ptarmigan View Post
    Haha, what a whiner. As if you don't have anything better to do.
    Rep commin your way!

By the way. You didn't have to watch the video. This isn't Russian you can make your own choices

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff

Leave a comment:

• Brown drake
    replied
    Beautiful king. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• ptarmigan
    replied
    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    I want my 2.5 minutes back.................Boring..........
    Haha, what a whiner. As if you don't have anything better to do.

Leave a comment:

• kwackkillncrew
    replied
    haters gunna hate!

Leave a comment:

• AaronP
    replied
    I don't have an issue with catch and release if you have the right equipment to do it. A heavy rod with heavy line is necessary to get the fish in quick without taking all of its energy. Those fish that get played out on those Wal Mart Specials may as well just go home with the person that catches them as they are dead anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Milo
    replied
    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
    I want my 2.5 minutes back.................Boring..........
    Send me a pm with your address, I'll mail you $1.25 to compensate you on behalf of the OP for your precious time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X