X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasilije
    replied
    Originally posted by akpolaris View Post
    The outlet of Lower Trail lake is a good spot for dollys and Kenai Lake is supposed to have some large lake trout. Bear Creek and Bear Lake are salmon spawning areas so there are some dollies in there chasing the salmon eggs, nothing large tho.

Mt View Sports appears to be targeting the tourists at this point. The Fish House still has the best selection of fishing gear for the price.
    So, any bows in Bear Lake?

Also, for a while Brown and Hawkens was trying to sell that place. Good to see some more fishing oriented shops.

Leave a comment:

• akpolaris
    replied
    The outlet of Lower Trail lake is a good spot for dollys and Kenai Lake is supposed to have some large lake trout. Bear Creek and Bear Lake are salmon spawning areas so there are some dollies in there chasing the salmon eggs, nothing large tho.

Mt View Sports appears to be targeting the tourists at this point. The Fish House still has the best selection of fishing gear for the price.

Leave a comment:

• traveler
    replied
    Always good to have a choice, and the competition usually brings prices down and selection up. Great to hear this...

Leave a comment:

• AKTroutGuy
    replied
    These guys will have everything!

Address is below.

207 4th Avenue (Seward AK 99664) in the old Brown & Hawkins building.

AKTroutGuy :topjob:

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    Competition for the Fish House... that's great news in my book. Where in Seward is this Mountain View Sports and do they have a decent fishing selection?

Leave a comment:

• AKTroutGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Vasilije View Post
    Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll be in Seward in a month or so and I will ask around downtown / Fish House etc. if anyone knows of any actual bow areas in or closer to town.

Oh well, from the state of this thread, it's fairly conclusive that rainbows are not to be found in Seward.
    Mountain View Sports has now opened a new location in Seward as well! They will also be an excellent source for information.

AKTroutGuy :topjob:

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    Originally posted by logman 49 View Post
    Vagt Lake trailhead is at approx mile 25 of the Hwy, by the Trail River bridge. It's a 1.5 mile hike into the lake. My neck of the woods and have fished this lake for years, most often in the winter though. Quality and quantity of fish has declined over the years imho.
    Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll be in Seward in a month or so and I will ask around downtown / Fish House etc. if anyone knows of any actual bow areas in or closer to town.

Oh well, from the state of this thread, it's fairly conclusive that rainbows are not to be found in Seward.

Leave a comment:

• logman 49
    replied
    Where is Vagt lake? I've been in Seward a few summers and not heard of it. Yeah, I know about snagging reds. I much prefer a small rainbow to snaggin' and slammin' salmon. The special restrictions above Nash and Hwy. have to do with targeting salmon I believe. Also something to do with fishing less than 100yards from the weir, etc.

As for who I work for, I'd prefer to keep that confidential. I'm just a lowly deckhand anyways.

Vagt Lake trailhead is at approx mile 25 of the Hwy, by the Trail River bridge. It's a 1.5 mile hike into the lake. My neck of the woods and have fished this lake for years, most often in the winter though. Quality and quantity of fish has declined over the years imho.

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Ben View Post
    I'm a year around Seward resident. The area is not known for trout though.

Every year ADFG stocks the pond behind AVTEC with little grayling for a kids fishing day. Anyone can fish it the day after.

Vagt Lake has some nicest trout I have found in the small local lakes and there's an old canoe and row boat out there.

The Trail River should not be over looked.

Occasionally there are a few kings swimming around the harbor.

You probably know about snagging reds at $5 beach. Your captain would also love the carcasses for bait.

Grouse gets worked pretty hard all year long but usually holds some small dollys.

Double check the regs about fishing the rivers above Nash Rd & the highway. If I remember correctly there is a special clause and I can't remember what it applies to.

Best of luck. Have fun on the water. Who are you working for?
    Where is Vagt lake? I've been in Seward a few summers and not heard of it. Yeah, I know about snagging reds. I much prefer a small rainbow to snaggin' and slammin' salmon. The special restrictions above Nash and Hwy. have to do with targeting salmon I believe. Also something to do with fishing less than 100yards from the weir, etc.

As for who I work for, I'd prefer to keep that confidential. I'm just a lowly deckhand anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Ben
    replied
    I'm a year around Seward resident. The area is not known for trout though.

Every year ADFG stocks the pond behind AVTEC with little grayling for a kids fishing day. Anyone can fish it the day after.

Vagt Lake has some nicest trout I have found in the small local lakes and there's an old canoe and row boat out there.

The Trail River should not be over looked.

Occasionally there are a few kings swimming around the harbor.

You probably know about snagging reds at $5 beach. Your captain would also love the carcasses for bait.

Grouse gets worked pretty hard all year long but usually holds some small dollys.

Double check the regs about fishing the rivers above Nash Rd & the highway. If I remember correctly there is a special clause and I can't remember what it applies to.

Best of luck. Have fun on the water. Who are you working for?

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    I'll be fishing from June through August. I'll check the regs when I arrive.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaHippie
    replied
    Would I be able to find decent (12-15 inch plus) size rainbows in Ptarmigan Creek or on this Trail River? I don't mind small fish, I just like catching stuff.

It all depends on the timing. When the sockeye are spawning, most definitely.

I've had my best luck on Ptarmigan higher up, towards the lake (good camping at the lake as well), my best success on Trail has been at its terminus at Kenai Lake, good sized rainbows, as well as a mix of Lake Trout and Dollies. It seems Trail produces at the lake sooner than Ptarmigan, and doesn't always need sockeye present to get good. Check the regs, as I'm not sure what/where/how they've changed as of late.

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    Would I be able to find decent (12-15 inch plus) size rainbows in Ptarmigan Creek or on this Trail River? I don't mind small fish, I just like catching stuff.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaHippie
    replied
    Trail River is just North of Ptarmigan, and is easily accessed from Trail River Campground, which has a road in next to Crown Pt Lodge.

There's also lakes (Carter Lake Trail and Johnson Pass) that take some sweat equity to get to, but seldom disappoint....

Edit to add: Vagt Lake has been good on occasion as well, Crown Pt area.....

Leave a comment:

• Vasilije
    replied
    Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    30 minutes would get you into Ptarmigan Crk/Trail River area and significantly up your chances. Another 20'ish minutes puts you around Quartz/Russian area, and your chances skyrocket. I realize your rig is a hoopty, but even if it breaks down, you're on the busiest road in AK during the busiest time of year, you'll get help and/or a ride.
    I might be able to borrow a car. Ptarmigan Creek, I've been there once, caught a decent 24' Sea run dolly. I am not familiar with Trail River, what might that be?

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X