Seward Area Summer Creek/River Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vasilije View Post
    It seems as if no one fishes for bows in Seward proper although there must be some... right?
    Just like AKHippie said, there are just better options a little ways down the road for trout.

I do like fishing places in complete solitude, and those places are pretty quiet!

AKTroutGuy :topjob:

Comment

You said you where working on the charter fleet in town?

Network with other charter folks, as well as guests, I'd wager with a bit of planning and pooling of funds you could be hitting some dandy trout water an hour from town quite regularly.
      “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
      "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

4th of July creek has awesome dolly fishing. In the resurrection river I used to fish a hole below the Nash road bridge that was hot for silvers and dollies. Biggest dolly I caught there was 28" and fat! And so bright I thought it was a silver. I stopped fishing and packed up cuz I mistakenly thought I had my 3 silver limit. ( this was when it was still 3 silvers). Later on when i took it out the cooler for filleting I noticed the dolly spots. Awesome surprise. Grouse creek/ lake has done me well for dollies as well and so has bear creek, clear creek and salmon creek but first you gotta find the salmon. Dollies stay with them like flies on ****. Never saw a rainbow in any of those creeks. But, I have heard rumors that rainbows have been caught in the lake in the middle of town.
        sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
          You said you where working on the charter fleet in town?

Network with other charter folks, as well as guests, I'd wager with a bit of planning and pooling of funds you could be hitting some dandy trout water an hour from town quite regularly.
          Yeah I work on the charter boats. I can always get together with others to get some, but I love the solitude of fishing by myself, I don't need massive bows, just something small and peaceful to lose the stress from being out with needy clients all day.

But, let's just say I widen my search to thirty minutes outside Seward, would that open up any river/creek possibilities for bows, or would I need to go all the way to the Kenai?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
            4th of July creek has awesome dolly fishing. In the resurrection river I used to fish a hole below the Nash road bridge that was hot for silvers and dollies. Biggest dolly I caught there was 28" and fat! And so bright I thought it was a silver. I stopped fishing and packed up cuz I mistakenly thought I had my 3 silver limit. ( this was when it was still 3 silvers). Later on when i took it out the cooler for filleting I noticed the dolly spots. Awesome surprise. Grouse creek/ lake has done me well for dollies as well and so has bear creek, clear creek and salmon creek but first you gotta find the salmon. Dollies stay with them like flies on ****. Never saw a rainbow in any of those creeks. But, I have heard rumors that rainbows have been caught in the lake in the middle of town.
            Sorry for the double post, not sure how to do two quotes in one message.

I've fished the mouth of 4th of July for some snaggin' action. Would the dollies be upstream a bit or down near the mouth? If I were to hike upstream a bit, would that lead me anywhere?

Comment

Yeah I work on the charter boats. I can always get together with others to get some, but I love the solitude of fishing by myself, I don't need massive bows, just something small and peaceful to lose the stress from being out with needy clients all day.

But, let's just say I widen my search to thirty minutes outside Seward, would that open up any river/creek possibilities for bows, or would I need to go all the way to the Kenai?
              30 minutes would get you into Ptarmigan Crk/Trail River area and significantly up your chances. Another 20'ish minutes puts you around Quartz/Russian area, and your chances skyrocket. I realize your rig is a hoopty, but even if it breaks down, you're on the busiest road in AK during the busiest time of year, you'll get help and/or a ride.
              “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                30 minutes would get you into Ptarmigan Crk/Trail River area and significantly up your chances. Another 20'ish minutes puts you around Quartz/Russian area, and your chances skyrocket. I realize your rig is a hoopty, but even if it breaks down, you're on the busiest road in AK during the busiest time of year, you'll get help and/or a ride.
                I might be able to borrow a car. Ptarmigan Creek, I've been there once, caught a decent 24' Sea run dolly. I am not familiar with Trail River, what might that be?

Comment

Trail River is just North of Ptarmigan, and is easily accessed from Trail River Campground, which has a road in next to Crown Pt Lodge.

There's also lakes (Carter Lake Trail and Johnson Pass) that take some sweat equity to get to, but seldom disappoint....

Edit to add: Vagt Lake has been good on occasion as well, Crown Pt area.....

Comment

Would I be able to find decent (12-15 inch plus) size rainbows in Ptarmigan Creek or on this Trail River? I don't mind small fish, I just like catching stuff.

Comment

Would I be able to find decent (12-15 inch plus) size rainbows in Ptarmigan Creek or on this Trail River? I don't mind small fish, I just like catching stuff.

It all depends on the timing. When the sockeye are spawning, most definitely.

I've had my best luck on Ptarmigan higher up, towards the lake (good camping at the lake as well), my best success on Trail has been at its terminus at Kenai Lake, good sized rainbows, as well as a mix of Lake Trout and Dollies. It seems Trail produces at the lake sooner than Ptarmigan, and doesn't always need sockeye present to get good. Check the regs, as I'm not sure what/where/how they've changed as of late.

Comment

I'll be fishing from June through August. I'll check the regs when I arrive.

Comment

I'm a year around Seward resident. The area is not known for trout though.

Every year ADFG stocks the pond behind AVTEC with little grayling for a kids fishing day. Anyone can fish it the day after.

Vagt Lake has some nicest trout I have found in the small local lakes and there's an old canoe and row boat out there.

The Trail River should not be over looked.

Occasionally there are a few kings swimming around the harbor.

You probably know about snagging reds at $5 beach. Your captain would also love the carcasses for bait.

Grouse gets worked pretty hard all year long but usually holds some small dollys.

Double check the regs about fishing the rivers above Nash Rd & the highway. If I remember correctly there is a special clause and I can't remember what it applies to.

Best of luck. Have fun on the water. Who are you working for?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Ben View Post
                            I'm a year around Seward resident. The area is not known for trout though.

Every year ADFG stocks the pond behind AVTEC with little grayling for a kids fishing day. Anyone can fish it the day after.

Vagt Lake has some nicest trout I have found in the small local lakes and there's an old canoe and row boat out there.

The Trail River should not be over looked.

Occasionally there are a few kings swimming around the harbor.

You probably know about snagging reds at $5 beach. Your captain would also love the carcasses for bait.

Grouse gets worked pretty hard all year long but usually holds some small dollys.

Double check the regs about fishing the rivers above Nash Rd & the highway. If I remember correctly there is a special clause and I can't remember what it applies to.

Best of luck. Have fun on the water. Who are you working for?
                            Where is Vagt lake? I've been in Seward a few summers and not heard of it. Yeah, I know about snagging reds. I much prefer a small rainbow to snaggin' and slammin' salmon. The special restrictions above Nash and Hwy. have to do with targeting salmon I believe. Also something to do with fishing less than 100yards from the weir, etc.

As for who I work for, I'd prefer to keep that confidential. I'm just a lowly deckhand anyways.

Comment

Where is Vagt lake? I've been in Seward a few summers and not heard of it. Yeah, I know about snagging reds. I much prefer a small rainbow to snaggin' and slammin' salmon. The special restrictions above Nash and Hwy. have to do with targeting salmon I believe. Also something to do with fishing less than 100yards from the weir, etc.

As for who I work for, I'd prefer to keep that confidential. I'm just a lowly deckhand anyways.

Vagt Lake trailhead is at approx mile 25 of the Hwy, by the Trail River bridge. It's a 1.5 mile hike into the lake. My neck of the woods and have fished this lake for years, most often in the winter though. Quality and quantity of fish has declined over the years imho.

Comment

Originally posted by logman 49 View Post
                                Vagt Lake trailhead is at approx mile 25 of the Hwy, by the Trail River bridge. It's a 1.5 mile hike into the lake. My neck of the woods and have fished this lake for years, most often in the winter though. Quality and quantity of fish has declined over the years imho.
                                Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll be in Seward in a month or so and I will ask around downtown / Fish House etc. if anyone knows of any actual bow areas in or closer to town.

Oh well, from the state of this thread, it's fairly conclusive that rainbows are not to be found in Seward.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X