Circles for sockeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by limon32 View Post

Doc, I was given some small circle hooks with the bent eye, what do you think of just straightening it?
    The hooks are tempered and will likely fracture at the hinge of the eye. Even if they don't, they will be severely weakened. Try the bead trick instead.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Comment

Originally posted by .338WM View Post
      "Elsewhere than IN it's mouth" , says it all. If the point of the hook penetrates from outside the mouth, the fish is hooked "elsewhere than IN the mouth" that is the definition. I know of no other way to explain it.

People are going to catch and retain fish as they see fit or can get away with unless someone is there to discourage or enforce illegal practices and retention. I understand the benefits of the circle hook as explained, my intent is to make people aware of the regulation so as to avoid an unintentional violation/citation due to misinterpretation of the regulation. I am not out to play "cop".
      But the fact is, even if the mouth is hooked from the outside in, PART of the hook is IN the mouth......
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
        I think I will try this out this red season. Thanks for the reminder.
        Anybody who truly believes the hook must be from the inside out should release any fish caught from the outside in.
        I am assuming if thats how you interpret the regulations then thats exactly what you must be doing right?
        I am of the belief it is in the mouth from inside out or outside in. Anywhere else even though it may be close to the mouth doesn't count.
        Correct, that is how I have always fished.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
          But the fact is, even if the mouth is hooked from the outside in, PART of the hook is IN the mouth......
          Well you can take that point up with the judge if you like .

Comment

Hooks still in the mouth, your gonna be flipping and ripping until you catch your 3 anyway. I havent read the regs recently but i thought it was anything from the eyes up or something like that? But anyways I dont flip to often but ill try the circles out next trip!
            -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
            -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
            -Local 907 Riders Union
            http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
              The hooks are tempered and will likely fracture at the hinge of the eye. Even if they don't, they will be severely weakened. Try the bead trick instead.
              Good point, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post
                The key to successfully using them for sockeye is to create the decidedly off-axis take-off of the leader from the hook eye.

The hookup rate will be an order of magnitude greater by using the straight eye circles like the Gami Nautilus as opposed to the up-eye Octopus circle.

The up-eye hooks can be "converted" into the correct configuration by threading a bead into your egg loop which causes the leader to correctly angle toward the hook point once you thread it back thru the eye.

Make sense?
                Total sense. Interesting. I get what your saying and will have to experiment with the bead trick and/or some straight-eye hooks. I appreciate the insight.

Rich
                Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by .338WM View Post
                  Correct, that is how I have always fished.
                  WOW you must have to play a lot of fish to get a limit.
                  While I applaud you for doing what you think is right has it ever occured to you that you are doing more harm to the fish than if you kept any fish hooked in the mouth regardless of which way the hook protrudes?
                  What I am referring to is that we know C&R does kill a small percentage of the fish. I would think it would be better for the fish to keep all fished hooked in the mouth regardless of which way the hook protrudes and release all those hooked elswhere than the mouth.
                  To each his own I guess.
                  "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Thanks for the instructive post. When I do make time to line sockeye I've never understood how (or why, i guess, sue to the wasted effort and lost fishing time) people repeatedly foulhook so many but I still do snag the occasional fish. Will give this method a try if the kenai second run reds materialize. Don't want to bend the metal hooks as was mentioned, it will definitely weaken the steel.

Regarding legally hooking a fish in the mouth, if the intent of the law was to require you to specifically hook a fish from the inside of the mouth, then the law would have been written that way.

"in the mouth" is what it is and nothing more. Common sense suggests that all parts of the mouth are legal to hook. The state is welcome to clarify that the outside of the jaw or lips do not make a legal spot to hook, but they clearly haven't. You can believe whatever you want though, doesn't bother me.

All the AWT trooper on the forum does is reiterate the precise wording of the law. You ain't going to get anything more intelligent there because it would be illegal and foolish for them to say anything other than the legal verbiage.

Again, informative post doc, thanks for the contribution of photos and video.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      Thats the way I see it and interpret it.
                      Wasn't it during the Bill Clinton impeachment trials over the Lewinsky scandal where they were he asked to define what "it" is.
                      maybe we need a definition of the word "in" in the fishing regulations.
                      Like several of us have mentioned many of us interpret the definition of "in the mouth" to mean if the hook is in the mouth regardless of which way the hook point protrudes. With out further definition in the regs itself "in the mouth" can alearly and easily mean the hook is in the mouth regardless of which way the hook point protrudes.
                      Regardless is it not better for the fish for us to keep all those fish hooked either way hook point in or out. Especially knowing the death rate of C&R fish? Yes it is a small percentage but if we release all those fish hook outside in we would certainly see a jump in the numbers of reds dying as a result.
                      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

You guys have convinced me! I will start keeping fish hooked outside in! What about kings where they take a spinning glow and the hook sets outside in? Do we feel the same thing applies there or is it different for reds?

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                          What about kings where they take a spinning glow and the hook sets outside in? Do we feel the same thing applies there or is it different for reds?
                          Absolutely. And the benefits are even greater when fishing over fish that are actually willful biters. Willful biters tend to engulf hooks, and the risk of a mortal hooking wound goes way up when fish are hooked from within.

I've spent the better part of the past decade perfecting methods to purposely hook all the salmonid species I target from the outside in.

Google "eyeFISH hang back" if you are interested.
                          "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                          sigpic
                          The KeenEye MD

Comment

Don't forget the hangback with the "amputee"!

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                              WOW you must have to play a lot of fish to get a limit.

No, I do not. I am very adept at sockeye (and other spicies) fishing, 37 years in Ak has provided much experience.

While I applaud you for doing what you think is right has it ever occured to you that you are doing more harm to the fish than if you kept any fish hooked in the mouth regardless of which way the hook protrudes?

It has and it is debatable. I gather by your statement that you never C&R ?

What I am referring to is that we know C&R does kill a small percentage of the fish. I would think it would be better for the fish to keep all fished hooked in the mouth regardless of which way the hook protrudes and release all those hooked elswhere than the mouth.

I enjoy fishing and I enjoy it even more when catching, often I C&R .

To each his own I guess.

Yes, Sir.
                              Do not think that because I C&R that I have no repect for the resource, I choose the tackle, time, place and species accordingly and handle them appropriately, I will also point out that C&R is legal, regulation for certain locations and species, and frequently encouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
                                Don't forget the hangback with the "amputee"!
                                Yes, that is the original hangback application.... specifically fishing eggs for salmon or trout.
                                sigpic
                                The KeenEye MD

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X