Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Why does the state of Alaska allow us to use a bare hook on the Kenai River for red salmon?
    Are there rules allowing for bare hooks in any other freshwater fisheries in the state?
    Seems the premise behind this question is backwards. Typically if the law doesn't prohibit something then it's allowed. I would counter the original question with a question: Is fishing with a bare hook prohibited anywhere in Alaska? I don't believe so.

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    The only freshwater fishery that anyone would every use a bare hook for is one that is designed to snag a fish, it's a classic catch-22 proposition, no pun intended.
    I've caught plenty of fish on bare hooks, especially gold, white, and red colored hooks...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

As I explained a few days ago Troopers don't pull over every car that is speeding, but if you are grossly violating the laws then chances are if they catch you they will ticket you. Most people speed but do not consider themselves law breakers they use words like I was going "a little fast" to justify their law breaking. In the same way some people say they've "foul hooked" a fish when in fact they've snagged a fish, because once again according to the regs, "Snag" means hook a fish elsewhere than in the mouth. F&G or the troopers probably won't give you a ticket if you hook a fish in the head and you aren't gripping and ripping, but if you are gripping and ripping or you foul hook...errr...snag a fish in the back, gut, or tail then chances are you get a ticket if you are caught. The Kenai is the largest sports fishery in the state, there is no way to police it in it's entirety and ticketing every minor violation is impossible, just like ticketing every person who speeds. To answer your question that you want an answer to, the legislature legislate the law, judges judge the law, law enforcement enforces the law. The bare hook rule only further shows us that this fishery is treated differently than any other in the state. The only freshwater fishery that anyone would every use a bare hook for is one that is designed to snag a fish, it's a classic catch-22 proposition, no pun intended. Are there rules allowing for bare hooks in any other freshwater fisheries in the state? As I said the Kenai is the largest sports fishery in the state, it is a revenue generator. Sometimes revenue generators play by a different set of rules than literally every other river in the state.<br/>
      But the troopers are not citing anyone for fish that are hooked from the outside in!<br/>At $110 for each snagged fish you would think it would be in the troopers interest while he is there watching you reel one in to write you up.But they're not enforcing the law the way you interpret it!<br/>And according to some members here the troopers have told them that it is okay to hook them from the outside in. Why would they allow people to do that directly in front of them if it was in direct violation of the law? As one member reported they were citing others for keeping fish snagged elsewhere than in the mouth but did not cite him for his fish that was snagged outside in.<br/>As far as I know for many years the Kenai River was one of the only freshwater fisheries that did not allow a bare hook.<br/>If I want to go down to my local lake and dangle a bare hook below a bobber or cast it out and reel it in it's perfectly legal.No law says I have to put bait on the hook.<br/>All Summer Long the troopers report is filled with the names of people issued citations for hooking fish elsewhere than in the mouth. I've not heard of anyone given a break for a fish hooked in the head if they were caught by a trooper.The legislature is never going to write me a ticket for a snagged fish neither is a judge.<br/>Like I said I follow the letter of the law as I interpret it and as it's enforced.<br/>
      "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

• Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
        And according to some members here the troopers have told them that it is okay to hook them from the outside in.
        Over the years, it seems like every time I fish the Russian I get my license checked. Which is fine because I like to see F&G out there. On a few occasions we've asked for clarification on the "in the mouth" part and every single time the F&G person has said that hooking from the outside in is legal. A couple went further and said if a fish is hooked in the mouth from the outside in, that means part of the hook is "in" the mouth and therefore legal. I don't know if that's a legit interpretation, but it's what they said. Having heard the "anything in front of the gill plates is legal" comments we've asked about that, too. Because no part of the hook is "in" the mouth they all said it is not a legal fish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
          Over the years, it seems like every time I fish the Russian I get my license checked. Which is fine because I like to see F&G out there. On a few occasions we've asked for clarification on the "in the mouth" part and every single time the F&G person has said that hooking from the outside in is legal. A couple went further and said if a fish is hooked in the mouth from the outside in, that means part of the hook is "in" the mouth and therefore legal. I don't know if that's a legit interpretation, but it's what they said. Having heard the "anything in front of the gill plates is legal" comments we've asked about that, too. Because no part of the hook is "in" the mouth they all said it is not a legal fish.
          Thank you for confirming what I've been saying all along. It matters not how I interpret the statute but, how it is enforced!

Comment

• Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
            <br/>I want to feel good that I have followed the letter of the law as enforced by the Alaska state troopers fish and wildlife division!<br/>As has been stated by many many people in this thread( not just me) the people who enforce this statute have determined that hooks from the outside in are legal.If it was that plain and simple and in violation of the statute then the troopers would be citing people for hooking fish that way. But they're not! I wonder why that is?<br/>Could it be that their interpretation of the law is that hooks from the outside in are legal? I don't remember our debate on oil in Alaska but I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do as I've only worked in the oil and gas industry for the last 22 years! <br/>I'm sure you're some industry expert on it down there in Minnesota and a consultant for Hillcorp and ConocoPhillips! Next time an oil and gas ballot measure comes up for a vote I'll be sure and consult you and get your expert opinion on it before I go to the voting booth! 😂 😂 😂<br/>
            You were on an anti NR rant when we talked about how much $$ tourists bring in to AK and you dont care as you dont work in that industry. I predicted back then oil would go bust. you said no way. Guess what AK cant pay their bills anymore with oil money. before the crunch the pipeline was down to 17% of what it was and that did not bother you but now AK is hurting without all the oil money. you said i knew nothing about oil in AK and i was fooling myself. Guess not

Comment

• Originally posted by kgpcr View Post
              <br/>You were on an anti NR rant when we talked about how much $$ tourists bring in to AK and you dont care as you dont work in that industry. I predicted back then oil would go bust. you said no way. Guess what AK cant pay their bills anymore with oil money. before the crunch the pipeline was down to 17% of what it was and that did not bother you but now AK is hurting without all the oil money. you said i knew nothing about oil in AK and i was fooling myself. Guess not
              if be the oil industry went bust how come I'm still working in the oil and gas industry here in Alaska? And how come we're still producing oil and gas every single day? <br/>Yes oil prices went negative. Tourists didn't show up either!<br/> So does the fact that there were no cruise ship landings in Alaska last year mean that the tourism industry went bust? Yes oil production is down from what it was years ago.<br/> Fortunately new oil developments are coming online if they can get permitted by the Biden administration. The willow project alone is going to put an additional 100,000 barrels of oil in the pipeline everyday at peak production.<br/> Oil is still paying the majority of this state's bills regardless of what the oil price is and regardless of what you think about it. Oil prices have rebounded in the last year. The tourist are still paying next to nothing of this state's bills. <br/>Yes a lot of North slope workers got laid off last year! So did a lot of people in the tourist industry! <br/>I don't know if I would say the state is hurting more because of the lack of oil money or if it is hurting more because of (IMHO)improper spending by our state legislature?<br/> I mean we've known for years that oil was not going to last forever and we should have planned for it instead they spent the constitutional budget reserve and then some including half of my PFD!<br/>Under your premise that oil went bust it sounds like you're going to have to start paying your fair share when you visit Alaska! Because tourism does not pay enough to keep this state operating at current levels and it never will unless we start charging the tourists and/or the tourist industry some form of additional taxes and/or fees or significantly reduced our state spending. <br/>So what has changed? <br/>Oil is still paying the majority of this state's bills and tourism is still paying next to nothing of this state's bills. Those two facts have not changed in the last 40 years.<br/><br/><br/>And to get this thread back on topic maybe you should read cheesers post.The one where he asked the troopers multiple times if fish hooked from the outside in are legal and was told that yes indeed they are!<br/>Maybe I wasn't so wrong on these things after all? 😂<br/>

Comment

• Originally posted by fishNphysician View Post

Amen, brother.... AMEN!
                fNp,

You've been involved with this conversation quite a bit over the years, do you remember who it was that once admitted that he had a hard time convincing himself that the way people "fish" for sockeye on the Kenai was ok, but once he convinced himself he's gone all in on it. I can't for the life of me remember who it was...
                I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by river mist View Post
                  I admit, I'm trying to snag sockeye, but only in the mouth! They do not bite willingly so I have found a better way to put them on my stringer using circle hooks originally recommended by the fishNphysician . In Tundra's video I might be the guy that likes the 3/0 Mutu light circle, but I also like the Nautilus and Gamakatsu octopus. I have used them all and they all work well. If my hook is in the fishes mouth I will let a trooper sort the rest out.
                  At least your honest about it, who knew there were any honest fisherman?!? Of course if you hooked it in the mouth as the statute says then it's caught legally, so well done...honest and legal.
                  I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

fNp,

You've been involved with this conversation quite a bit over the years, do you remember who it was that once admitted that he had a hard time convincing himself that the way people "fish" for sockeye on the Kenai was ok, but once he convinced himself he's gone all in on it. I can't for the life of me remember who it was...
                    There have been quite a few over the years, most notably Erik in AK as well as the owner of this site. I understand that circle hooks are actually now referenced in the sockeye fishing tutorial available here.

Circle hooks have also made it into the ADFG sockeye fishing tutorial video.
                    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                    sigpic
                    The KeenEye MD

Comment

• https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...l-hook-charade
                      "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                      sigpic
                      The KeenEye MD

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X