Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about using these on burbot

Comment

• tried it. still end up with swallowed hooks unless you standing right next to the flag as it goes up.
      I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
      but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

• The second run of Reds on the Kenai is just a couple weeks away and virus or no, I'm going fishing! Have just finished rereading the various comments concerning what kind of circle hooks were being used and was wondering if anyone had tried the VMC Nemesis Circles?

Comment

• Originally posted by tundratoad View Post
          The second run of Reds on the Kenai is just a couple weeks away and virus or no, I'm going fishing! Have just finished rereading the various comments concerning what kind of circle hooks were being used and was wondering if anyone had tried the VMC Nemesis Circles?
          They're straight shank, so imo, as long as you tie a bead or a big knot of yarn on it so it comes across the fishes mouth at the right angle, it should work as good as the rest of them.
          Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4merguide View Post

They're straight shank, so imo, as long as you tie a bead or a big knot of yarn on it so it comes across the fishes mouth at the right angle, it should work as good as the rest of them.
            Guess I'll find out. Ordered up some 2/0 and 3/0 in Tin Red finish. They are cheap compared to the Nautilus, if that has anything to do with it.

Comment

• I've always ordered the Gamakatsu Nautilus hooks.<br/>I figured if that's the best hook why not use them?<br/>If I'm ordering hooks anyway.....<br/>Now if the other were available locally and the Nautilus had to be ordered I could see the value in that.<br/>I'd hate to loose a few fish over a couple of bucks and no bead required in the tying of the Nautilus.<br/>But that's just me. Ymmv.<br/>Let us know how those alternative hooks work for ya.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

• Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                I've always ordered the Gamakatsu Nautilus hooks.<br/>I figured if that's the best hook why not use them?<br/>If I'm ordering hooks anyway.....<br/>Now if the other were available locally and the Nautilus had to be ordered I could see the value in that.<br/>I'd hate to loose a few fish over a couple of bucks and no bead required in the tying of the Nautilus.<br/>But that's just me. Ymmv.<br/>Let us know how those alternative hooks work for ya.<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                Will do! I also use the Nautilus. Have tested ( completely unscientific) a couple other brands and for me the Nautilus is the better hook. They are heavier than the other brands I've tested and ride lower in the water column, and for technique I use they work great. I read where R.E.B. LA used a red circle with good success, but he didn't mention the brand. Thought I might see if color made any difference, we'll see.

Comment

Thought I might see if color made any difference, we'll see.
                  If you're talking "flossing" then a bare black hook will work as good as any other color......

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

If you're talking "flossing" then a bare black hook will work as good as any other color......
                    I've used "naked" black circles before. Sometimes I dress them up with a bit of yarn or a bead. I have to confess though, that when using a bare hook I don't feel like I'm really fishing. Ha! I prefer to use fly patterns that I tie up on the circles. Have had those silly Reds actually smack them every now and then.

Comment

That's because "flossing" is nothing more than snagging, except it gives some people a sense of moral superiority.
                      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

• Snagging with a circle hook is difficult but flossing is not to hard. Do you know a better ways to catch them.

Comment

• ADF&G has a "How To" video on YouTube - Sockeye Salmon Fishing 101 (online forum). The use of of Circle Hooks is actually mentioned. The wheel is slowly turning!

Comment

Will do! I also use the Nautilus. Have tested ( completely unscientific) a couple other brands and for me the Nautilus is the better hook. They are heavier than the other brands I've tested and ride lower in the water column, and for technique I use they work great. I read where R.E.B. LA used a red circle with good success, but he didn't mention the brand. Thought I might see if color made any difference, we'll see.
                            The red hook I mentioned is the Owner Mutu Light Circle. They are good but the Nautilus is better. The Nautilus are thicker and sink faster. Time in the strike zone is one key to consistent success and the Nautilus gets you there faster.

I've been getting limits at the confluence in less than an hour. There is absolutely no doubt the fish are reaction-striking my flies. Lots of fish striking on the downstream drift before beginning the slow sweep back. Of course things will go downhill if the water gets cloudy. As of yesterday it was still clear enough. Out of 42 fish between 2 of us, no foul hooks.

I posted previously that the gap on a 2/0 Nautilus is right at 3/8 inch. This past summer while re-rigging tackle I realized that well used hooks are very slightly more than 3/8 inch. I guess it's a combination of stretching and erosion of the point. I'm talking about measuring with a caliper - a couple hundredths of an inch maximum. I re-sharpen and squeeze them back down in a vise. Just saying for anybody interested.

https://www.ebay.com/i/223649727167?...b86653894e6a02

Comment

• R.E.B. LA - Thanks for the info. Every bit helps!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X