New regulations for mat-su kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New regulations for mat-su kings

Rumor has it that Fish and Game is going to change the annual harvest of kings in the Mat-Su from 5/year to 2/year.

Cant say its a big suprise. Wouldnt suprise me if they shut it down altogather if we have a run like last year.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Comment

That limit is for all of Upper Cook Inlet at the moment. If they do it for the Mat-su, they need to be consistant and do it for all of UCI.
      If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

i wouldnt cry about it.....i only kept one 30lb buck last year......all i needed....theres plenty of silvers, reds, chums to take home....do NOT overlook semi-bright chums as a great substitute for excellent table fare.....they are just as tasty as any king i ever eaten...and hell theres thousands of em....there in every creek on the parks and i almost never see someone keep one...lol but ive seen those same people keep bright pinks!....i dunno maybe they thought they were silvers or somethin.....
        sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Originally posted by thewhop2000 View Post
          That limit is for all of Upper Cook Inlet at the moment. If they do it for the Mat-su, they need to be consistant and do it for all of UCI.
          So how does that logic work with the Kenai today? It's been at 2 for the year for a long, long time so how is that "consistent for all of UCI?" My point is ADF&G has a history of micro managing UCI and they should continue to do that. Do I agree with the Valley going from 5 to 2? I don't know the facts that the managers are dealing with to make an informed decision.

Comment

It will also be single hook only area wide. After June 11 all highway streams will be catch and release. The Little Su will be catch and keep Friday-Monday (if you choose to keep) and catch and release only Tuesday-Thursday. If you have questions just call Sam Ivey at the Palmer office. The Deska will be the same as always with a two fish limit...man will it be crowded all the guides (not me) will end up there if they want to stay busy.

William Booth

Comment

I'm not doubting yous fella's comments about the bag limit for Kings but would like to know where your getting your info. I'm heading up to the Deshka River and Lake Creek area for the Memorial Day Weekend (5 days) and so have a chance to get 5 of em, unless; as you say, I'm only allowed to get 2 of em. 2 is better than none I recon but I can't find anything about that in the regs (and yes, I know the regs still show the old regs and won't be update until April 14, 2012). Guess I'll have to wait and see or maybe I just don't know the right people... thanx... "fishon"

Originally posted by wbooth View Post
              It will also be single hook only area wide. After June 11 all highway streams will be catch and release. The Little Su will be catch and keep Friday-Monday (if you choose to keep) and catch and release only Tuesday-Thursday. If you have questions just call Sam Ivey at the Palmer office. The Deska will be the same as always with a two fish limit...man will it be crowded all the guides (not me) will end up there if they want to stay busy.

William Booth
              "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Comment

It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

Flame suit on.
                “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                  It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

Flame suit on.
                  when a conservation issue arrises. i cant shoot and release anything...shouldn't be able to hook and release it either
                  "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the fisher View Post
                    I'm not doubting yous fella's comments about the bag limit for Kings but would like to know where your getting your info. I'm heading up to the Deshka River and Lake Creek area for the Memorial Day Weekend (5 days) and so have a chance to get 5 of em, unless; as you say, I'm only allowed to get 2 of em. 2 is better than none I recon but I can't find anything about that in the regs (and yes, I know the regs still show the old regs and won't be update until April 14, 2012). Guess I'll have to wait and see or maybe I just don't know the right people... thanx... "fishon"
                    I thought that you were going to be running your boat down on the Kenai this season....

Comment

Don't know anything about the Kenai cause I gave up fishing there 20 years ago. Look at the back of your fishing license though, it used to say 5 for UCI and had the space for same. Maybe things have changed in river in places but UCI used to be a flat five. With the way the runs are going, I'm thinking no retention but out in the salt. That would give the stock a little better chance of making escapement in all tributaries, JMO.
                      If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

I won't be surprised if they shut it all down to C&R. Won't shut it all down - they the commercial fishery would have to shut down too.

Comment

Originally posted by wbooth View Post

William Booth
                          Now the question I have is, What are the rules going to be for Clear Creek?

Comment

Well I wasn't guna fish it; I gave up salmon fishing on that river a couple years ago, way way too many people for me now, seems to be more of a touristy thing and its not always that much fun for the guy driving the boat either. (I ran that river for 12 years with a 20' Klamath and a sweet 35 yamaha). I do go and hit it in the fall for fat bows though (and not in my phantom). As far as running up it, thats what I was talking about, 40+ mph running some butiful skinny water. Was just a pipe dream... "fishon"

Originally posted by Laker Taker View Post
                            I thought that you were going to be running your boat down on the Kenai this season....

Comment

I could probably deal with that to save a fishery but check this out: I live here all the time, this is my home and and this is my backyard and most of all, this is my playground. I eat all I catch (and usually some that night) so if we can keep some of the out-of-state guides or even the instate guides and their tourists to maybe a 3 day fishery, the rest of us would not worry so much... You know that thing they have on the Deshka River called "The Fence" ( boats tied to boats tied to boats tied to boats)? I couldn't hardly beleive it when I first saw that. How can you catch a fish when you 10' from the guy next to you? Guess I just hate combat fishing... This is just one fisherman's opinion... 'fishon '

0]It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

Flame suit on.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X