Eklutna Tailrace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eklutna Tailrace?

Is the fishing at Tailrace better at high tide? I notice that the water does not seem to rise too much out there and was wondering if there were better times to fish...

Originally posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Is the fishing at Tailrace better at high tide? I notice that the water does not seem to rise too much out there and was wondering if there were better times to fish...
    The tailrace is too far away from saltwater to be physically influenced much by tides. The fluctuations come from runoff coming down the Knik river from snowmelt and rain. Alot of water coming down the river and the spillway opening up would cause more change in water levels.

The kings would enter the river over the flats during a high tide, however, so they would start showing up at the tailrace area an hour or three afterward. They seem to be far more active when the plant fires up and increases the tailrace flow putting more clear water out into the river.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Comment

I fished there for about 30 mins and nothing. Still too dang early down there. Wait another week or two. The water level is at a good height though.

Comment

I fished for about 4 hours and nothing going on. I bet they are stacked up in knik somewhere, probably by the railroad bridge.
          Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
          "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
          I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

I wonder more or less for my amusement.......has any one even seen a king in there this year???????????????? Alive or dead?

Comment

I fished there quite a bit last year and never saw a king. (We did hit it too early I think though, late may/early june) F&G was talking to us one day and said that someone had caught one on a hooligan but who knows. Only time I've seen fish in there is later when the silvers and I assume reds that are headed to Jims get lost up in there.

Comment

I have to pick my dad up at the airport tonight so I'm going to stop by on my way in to town and make a few casts and see how everyone down there is doing.

Comment

Cool

Cool, bring back info (caught one saw one caught or rollers).

Comment

Fish and Game has actually been thinking about stop stocking the Tailrace for kings...
                    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

They put 132,231 silvers in there last year. Should be a good run in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Theone2 View Post
                        Fish and Game has actually been thinking about stop stocking the Tailrace for kings...
                        Were did you hear or read that, and what are the reasons if any were given ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Personaly, I think that would be a terrible thing to have happen.

Comment

Personally If I didn't hear it straight from fish and game I would call BS. Too many people use that fishery for them to just shut it down. Plus it takes a lot of pressure off the parks hwy streams, and ship creek.
                          Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                          "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                          I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

Has anybody ever caught a salmon out of that place?

Comment

My buddy caught a 44 pound King there a few summers back, seen the pictures...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X