Kenai Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenai Accident

Word is boat down on the Kenai bunch of kids 1 adult sounds like fatalities involved

Sad, very sad.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Any information on this accident?

Comment

So sorry to hear this.

Please keep us posted.

Shouldn't be.....just shouldn't be.

FF
        "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
        In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Comment

Very sad loss of life on Tustumena lake. Boat swamped with water crossing the lake 2 miles from shore. Out of 5, 3 survivors and 2 did not make it. All were wearing their PFD's. AST and USFWS on the search/rescue and recovery. Heart felt prayers for the loss of life to the families and friends.
          Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear74 View Post
            Any information on this accident?
            I found the summary in the trooper dispatch.
            http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/dispa...1.20110605.txt

Condolonces to the families.
            My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

The dispatch post:

Case Number: 11-51823
              Type: Search and Rescue/Body recovery

Text: At approximately 1638 on 6/4/2011, Soldotna dispatch received a
              phone call relaying information about boating debris found in Tustumena
              Lake. A search involving an AWT aircraft, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife
              aircraft, and two U.S. Fish and Wildlife boats was launched to look for
              the five boaters suspected of being in the boat. The body of Katarina
              Anderson, 16, of Kenai was found at 1912 hours and the body of Ashley
              Udelhoven, 47, of Kenai, was found at 1924 hours. Three survivors,
              Udelhoven's daughters Hanna Udelhoven, 13, and Miranda Udelhoven, 15,
              both of Soldotna and a friend, Athena Robinson, 12, of Sterling, flagged
              down a search plane at approximately 2016 hours. The girls were
              transported by U.S. Federal Fish and Wildlife aircraft to Soldotna, they
              were then transported to Peninsula Hospital by CES for treatment of
              minor injuries. The survivors reported the boat had become swamped with
              water while crossing the lake the previous night and Udelhoven and
              Anderson had succumbed during the two-mile swim to shore. Everyone was
              reportedly wearing a lifejacket during the incident.

Author: OFH0
              Received Sunday, June 05, 2011 1:05 AM and posted Sunday, June 05, 2011 1:05 AM

AK Wildlife Troopers

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My sincere condolences to all the family and friends.

AZinAK

Comment

Thats terrible..
                -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
                -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
                -Local 907 Riders Union
                http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Comment

Terrible News...

This really rips me up... in a couple ways. What a tragic and needless waste of life. It's quite sad in that regard. But it pisses me off too. WTH are a bunch of teenagers doing out on T-Lake at night?!? Tustumena is an extremely dangerous piece of water. I'd let teenagers go out in the Inlet long before I'd let them loose on Tustumena. Gawd, this really ticks me off to see such a thing.

:mad:
                  Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

Their 47 year old mother was with them
                    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Very sad story though it says a lot about the will to survive. Those three kids swam 2 miles in that frigid water then survived a night alone before being rescued. I don't know that I have that much mental toughness.

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                        Very sad story though it says a lot about the will to survive. Those three kids swam 2 miles in that frigid water then survived a night alone before being rescued. I don't know that I have that much mental toughness.
                        Sadly it would seem 2/5 of that group didn't either.

Reminds me of a conversation you and I had recently......

Alaskan Girls.
                        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind View Post
                          Their 47 year old mother was with them
                          The paper said that Ashley was their father.
                          Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

One who made it was my student. The girls were tough; they not only swam, but walked as well. I'm not sure why they were on the lake so late, but an adult was in charge. The girl I spoke of is thankful to be alive.

Comment

Thank you for the update. If anyone that knows them can let me know if they need anything I would like to help. Crisis intervention and the like are in my repertoire.

This is so sad for those girls........

Just saddens me.......

FF
                              "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
                              In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X