Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best chance to catch kings from the bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cod View Post
    I second this idea.... Kasilof open 7 days a wk...wkdays not always crowded. Just watch regs for which days u can only keep hatchery fish. PS.....Bank fishing with side planer and plug is such an easy way to fish!!
    How do you fish with a side planer and a plug from the bank, sounds great just not sure how!

thanks

Teach

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
      How do you fish with a side planer and a plug from the bank, sounds great just not sure how!

thanks

Teach
      It works best with a baitcaster and 9ft+ rod. You place a small planer on your mainline. The plug will be on a leader about three ft or so long. A bead on the mainline at the swivel connection to the leader stops the planer when it folds up. The planer will be secured anywhere from 10 to 50+ feet up the line from the bead. You feed out line and get the planer to move the plug out away from the bank. You can then walk down the bank or feed a little line out to move the plug around and down the river. It's similar to backtrolling from a boat, with the advantage of not having to bring the boat back up to go over an area twice. The planer will fold and slide down the line to the bead when you set the hook so you don't have to fight both the fish and the planer. http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/...SidePlaner.pdf describes it pretty well.

Comment

Heading to the Sportsmans to get a couple plus some more leader line and a couple more MagWarts, sounds like a great method!

I'm running 65 lb Power Pro main line. I'm thinking 30 lb maximum mono leader? That heavy enough for the Kasilof and Kenai? I know its enough for the Valley.

Comment

I am SO getting myself one of those!!!

Comment

65/30 should be plenty. I have been running 80sufix/30maxima with a sidewinder planer and k-14, k-15 kwikfish all over various rivers and haven't had an issue. I've lost one setup in 5 years due to a king wrapping the line all up in a deadfall before spitting out the plug. The smaller planers may only hold a magwart or k-13, but they don't put as much drag on the line when dealing with a fish.

Comment

Side Planers???

Originally posted by sibir View Post
              65/30 should be plenty. I have been running 80sufix/30maxima with a sidewinder planer and k-14, k-15 kwikfish all over various rivers and haven't had an issue. I've lost one setup in 5 years due to a king wrapping the line all up in a deadfall before spitting out the plug. The smaller planers may only hold a magwart or k-13, but they don't put as much drag on the line when dealing with a fish.
              I can't seem to find a planer board in Wasilla! I went to Sportsman's, Walmart, and the Sporting goods place next to Target. I'm thinking online Cabelas, any place in the valley to get them:question:

Comment

I know its a drive but B&J's here in anchorage has a pretty good selection of stuff. Might be better than waiting for it to ship up here.
                Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Comment

FOUND THEM! 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle, Wasilla, only have one size but its a start. NOT cheap, $15 ea. But cheaper than taking my boat and easier when I'm fishing by myself.

Comment

sideplaner kings

SIBIR.........Excellant link. thanks. Luhr-Jenson is the kind I use. As stated in link....Hotshots wk great with them. The 35 is my go to. Chrome with red/blue head, --chrome w. chartreus head. Chrome and pink. Just depends on the day. I've even done well on 'doctored' plugs with paint and black markers. K-fish have great action but tend to create some problems w. the planer on account they 'grab' the water so well they tend to pull the planer downstream and/or under....Current strength makes a huge difference in ability to function proper. 49578
                    Attached Files
                    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

I use the hotshot planer for the small plugs like wiggle warts, mag wigglers, hotshots, and kwikfish to size 12. The sidewinder will hold up to a k14 in most currents and a k15 in moderate currents. I had seen one a few years ago that advertised holding a k16, but it was bulky and hard to use since it ran on a separate line. The hotshot planers are great for putting plugs on fish from shore.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X