Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I never liked jigs, till last night.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never liked jigs, till last night.....

After seeing a bunch of spawners across the lake, I decided to hoke over there and see if I could tie onto one.....I got 3. First off, they were like any spawner, and wouldn't take anything I would throw at them, then I found I had 2 jigs in my tackle box, one was "regular" with pink black and yellow, about the right size for steel head. The other one was one I tied onto one of those hooks that come with the salmon vibrax's, not expecting to ever use it, but I had some loose material, you know how that is. it was purple, yellow and black, with a itsy bit of olive.

I hooked one that was about 27-30 inches, that hit and snapped my line in about 3 seconds, I was fishing about 4 feet of the bank, in 5 inches of water. using a bobber (that barely held it up) so I switched to my "bad" one, and in 10 seconds WHAM! it got hit by a 20-22 incher that made it on to the bank, but got off before I could take a picture.

The next one I got on video, and it is a pain in the butt to reel in a HAWG while videoing it.

3 fish, that, had I not got the guts to call a girl that I know (I studder, so that had a bit to do with it,Thats when I saw all my 'stuff" laying there, and tied while I was talking)...

I think I'll use jigs a little more for spawners in the future....maybe I'll call that girl back, and get out my hackle, maribou, maybe some yarn, and see what comes out next. :think::topjob:

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Nice catch! You have that jig hooked to a bobber? Never would have thought of that.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Comment

Originally posted by c6 batmobile View Post
      Nice catch! You have that jig hooked to a bobber? Never would have thought of that.
      Ya, the were in 5 inches of water with a ton of rock that I kept getting hung up on, so I rigged up a bobber to keep it a couple inches up, in the picture, the bobber is a little higher than I would have had it rigged when fishing, but it would work at any depth, I spose. This time of year the trout are spawning in the shallows so they are easy to get to from the bank.

When they swam by, I would give it a little twitch....seemed to work good.
      Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

I'm gonna get some popcorn.
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        Bill Hicks

Comment

Awesome fish!!! Fun stuff!

FF

Great pic BTW
          "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
          In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Comment

Originally posted by Fishin Farmgirl View Post
            Awesome fish!!! Fun stuff!

FF

Great pic BTW
            Thanks! I usualy manage to pull 4 or 5 of that porportion outta the lake, I kinda got a system down in the summer, I've never caught 3 that big in one night though!

Comment

Here comes the Valley Closures because of this very sh*t...

Ripping spawning fish off of their beds in 5" of water, dragging em up onto the gravel for a pic.......

Dude, they where BIG fish because they are mature spawners. Harassing 'em whilst they spawn is a pretty good way to um.....PREVENT THEM FROM SPAWNING....

Yeah dirt....Pass me some of that popcorn, while we wait for the "How to dynamite Kings in the redds for pure enjoyment" thread.....
              “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
              "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                Ripping spawning fish off of their beds in 5" of water, dragging em up onto the gravel for a pic.......

Dude, they where BIG fish because they are mature spawners. Harassing 'em whilst they spawn is a pretty good way to um.....PREVENT THEM FROM SPAWNING....

Yeah dirt....Pass me some of that popcorn, while we wait for the "How to dynamite Kings in the redds for pure enjoyment" thread.....
                Dang Hippie, at least wait for the microwave to beep!
                I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                Bill Hicks

Comment

haha... Somehow I saw that coming.... like JMG hunting with Vince..
                  sigpic
                  If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

WOW!! You must be so proud! Pass the pop corn?

Comment

can rainbows spawn successfully in the lakes?

I've always been curious since I've heard many times that they can't unless there's some running water...any truth to that?
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      pull my finger....

Comment

So you let the pictured fish go?
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
                        Unknown author

Comment

Actually if that is a stocked lake there is a pretty good chance that they were sterile fish(For the slightly less informed that means they cant reproduce/Spawn).So Ripping them off of their redd's means absolutely nothing.
                          There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Comment

Im assuming hes fishing at biglake according to his location, which is wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Albradley View Post
                              Actually if that is a stocked lake there is a pretty good chance that they were sterile fish(For the slightly less informed that means they cant reproduce/Spawn).So Ripping them off of their redd's means absolutely nothing.
                              Originally posted by FurFishGame
                              After seeing a bunch of spawners across the lake
                              Based on the OP's own statement, they where spawners.
                              “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                              "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X