Eklutna Tailrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eklutna Tailrace

Has anybody heard of them kings moving up the Knik into the tailrace yet? I jetted up there last week, the water is still too low to get in and no Kings yet. Just wondering what ya'll know..."fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Still early. Early to mid june is my guess for those kings to start running through

Comment

I was out there a few days ago and that part of the river was still too low to cover the dorsal fin of a king. They won't move in until the water comes up at least another foot or two. Maybe mid June? I didn't even see any dollies looking for snacks and they usually move in a couple of weeks before the kings.

Comment

Catching kings in the tailrace is a myth, anyway. Odds are roughly the same as winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
          Catching kings in the tailrace is a myth, anyway. Odds are roughly the same as winning the lottery.
          Well said lol. It's almost as if it's own urban legend

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the fisher View Post
            water is still too low to get in and no Kings yet.
            sounds like you answered your own question
            I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
            but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
              sounds like you answered your own question
              I think he meant that the water was too low for his boat...
              ------------------------------------------------
              pull my finger....

Comment

Yes that is correct, there is plenty of water for the fish but I need at least 10 inches to come off step...ha! ha! ha!.."fishon"
                "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Comment

Anyone here ever try the tailrace farther downstream? Like way down on the Knik? Know of a couple of guys that always head down there and get fish. They start picking up fish by Memorial day weekend. Water is too shallow in the tailrace so they fish it at the mouth, not by the parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by kimjn View Post
                    Anyone here ever try the tailrace farther downstream? Like way down on the Knik? Know of a couple of guys that always head down there and get fish. They start picking up fish by Memorial day weekend. Water is too shallow in the tailrace so they fish it at the mouth, not by the parking lot.
                    I haven't, but I bet with a boat and some trial and error you could find some good holes downstream, especially when the reds and silvers start coming in. Half the fish I catch at the race are reds just staging for a bit. Last year in one limit of 3 fish I had three species: a red, a chum, and a silver. I know the red and chum were bound for somewhere else, so it's just a matter of finding some holes and seams downstream that the fish use.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
                      I haven't, but I bet with a boat and some trial and error you could find some good holes downstream, especially when the reds and silvers start coming in. Half the fish I catch at the race are reds just staging for a bit. Last year in one limit of 3 fish I had three species: a red, a chum, and a silver. I know the red and chum were bound for somewhere else, so it's just a matter of finding some holes and seams downstream that the fish use.
                      Be careful on how far you go:

Eklutna Tailrace, and all waters within a 1/2-mile radius of its confluence with the Knik River, and
                      to an ADF&G marker located 2 miles downstream of the confluence is open to fishing for king salmon from Jan. 1–Dec. 31

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
                        Be careful on how far you go:

Eklutna Tailrace, and all waters within a 1/2-mile radius of its confluence with the Knik River, and
                        to an ADF&G marker located 2 miles downstream of the confluence is open to fishing for king salmon from Jan. 1–Dec. 31

That just applies to kings I think. I realize that's the topic, but I was thinking more generally, as I still don't really think Eklutna is going to ever be a viable king fishery. I wonder why F&G continue to waste fry by stocking it, as the return has never been significant and they don't bite anything once there.

Comment

Not a myth. I've seen a king pulled out. In 2007 a 10 ten year old boy next to me pulled out a 30lb'er. I havn't fished there for kings since

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
                            Not a myth. I've seen a king pulled out. In 2007 a 10 ten year old boy next to me pulled out a 30lb'er. I havn't fished there for kings since
                            I've tried fishing it every year for the last 8 or 9 years. In that time, I've seen one king legally caught. So yeah, I guess technically they do they do exist....lol.

I've seen lots of kings there...they just don't seem catchable for whatever reason. They get into the race and go all lockjaw. I've hooked a couple fishing at the mouth in the Knik itself, but they've taken off with the current and gotten away. I dunno, that's why I said I don't think it's ever going to be a viable fishery. There's a few caught, but not enough to justify the whole fishery IMO.

Comment

I have seen 2 caught and I landed anther one my self in the last 5 years. I know what you mean about the lock jaw............was lucky enough to line mine threw the mouth.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X