Squidro.... by Scott Howell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squidro.... by Scott Howell

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    sigpic
    The KeenEye MD

Wow, those are nasty looking, but where do you find those fly boxes? Way cool, thanks Doc. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Comment

I like his style, I tied up some of the prom dress flies that he demoed in SM2 and they looked sick in the water last time I was down south steelheading. This squid looks like another good one to try.

Good to have those innovative guys out there to give us all some insperation.

Comment

Has anyone on this forum found a online location to buy some of those unique rubber legs scott was talking about?

Comment

Mountain View has them. I just picked some up to try out my own variation of that fly for kings.
          Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Comment

Raptor, you read my mind! Mountain View it is.

Comment

I was at Mossy's this week and Mike is expecting a delivery of rubber legs. He was trying to figure out the shelf space. Tight lines.
              Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Comment

Just got back from Mt View sports and tied up one of the nasty critters.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2479419Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2479420
                -Tight Lines & head shakin
                sigpic

Comment

heres a black/red. this things look sick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2479421

thanks for bringing them to our attention fishNphysician!
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice. Ive tied a few before with rubber legs, dirk wiggler (AFFG), but never did get them to turn out like i wanted. i see now that tying them in backwards gets them to flare. it looks like they are crazy legs (soft) and not rubber legs (more dense).
                    900, why do you loop your trailer in that direction? if you switch it, the hook will ride in plane with the shank i think you'll like it better.

Comment

Lmao! I saw that after I took the pic. They are changeable. Purely unintentional I'm gonna change them. Didn't take long before someone noticed +1 to u B.I.
                      sigpic

Comment

Reverse placement is key for tying in the front set of rubber legs!

Love the reverse tie to get more of that "umbrella" effect that Ed Ward works so hard to achieve in his perfectly hackled original Intruder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeaN-QospwE

I bet Scott gets a lot fewer rejects with the rubber Squid-ro version.

Interesting that I spent last month or two perfecting the ultimate hoochie spinners for estuary salmon trolling. They all have two toned dual hoochies (rubber squids) rigged in rather "Intruder-esque" fashion... the rear one trailing straight back and a contrasting front one rigged in reverse to get the undullating umbrella effect. Unbelievable tantalizing tentacular action as the legs undulate in the vortex created by the spinner blade. How interesting to see the same concepts being applied on a Spey fly

OOOPS.... obvious gear-head got a bit carried away.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program.
                        "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
                        sigpic
                        The KeenEye MD

Comment

Purple/fuschia color up top looks to be a Eyak/Ibek recipe for silvers!

Comment

Squidro.... by Scott Howell

Used to roll double skirt hoochies forward on themselves and troll in terminal king areas in southeast. Just look like a fire ball behind a hotspot but worked many times when traditional stuff wasn't producing

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X