Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 Mag SBS

I might be a hillbilly.
    I went shooting with a friend at rabbit creek a couple of months ago and we found a bunch of bullets on top of the snow at the end of the range. I thought to myself, that looks kind of like a conehead. I got out some drill bits and made a mess.

With the conehead on the hook I took some wire, the kind that comes inside feeding tubes used in hospitals, and secured my stinger (owner 4/0 5115-143). Yeah, I super glued it (three rivers didn't have any tearmender). I wrapped the wire with a lot of thread, double it back on itself with some more thread and super glued the whole thing.

I threw some grizzly hackle and bucktail on it. It didn't fit in my vise so I had to secure it to another hook and put that in my vise. Yup, I'm a hillbilly.

Palmered two colors of marabou and called it a big ugly conglomerate of feathers and hair that I can chuck at lings. Hope someone gets a laugh out of it, flies turn out interesting after working a night shift.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Scott,

That looks really nice but I wouldn't recommend going after lings with anything less than a 454.

Comment

The part I like the best is where you've got that big hook lashed to the top of a smaller hook in your vise!

Personally I think the 44 is adequate for lings. :topjob:
      Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Cool idea and way to recycle *grin*. That last picture on the feathers is outstanding...very nice!
        The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
        sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
          The part I like the best is where you've got that big hook lashed to the top of a smaller hook in your vise!

Personally I think the 44 is adequate for lings. :topjob:
          ...and Dogfish...

nice tie Scott! That rig is sure to hook/snag some lings, rockfish, and even some halibut!

if you got more "cones" tie some up in all white or orange/white for a salmon flesh fly...

Comment

What is the blow torch for?? "Unsecuring" the big hook from the small hook?? :-P
            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by cube01 View Post
              What is the blow torch for?? "Unsecuring" the big hook from the small hook?? :-P
              I had to hollow out the bullet a lot and I wanted to fill it in. I fired up the blow torch and melted some lead wire - it didn't work well. I should have just wrapped it and slid it up the shank. Next time.
              My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Solder would likely work...
                The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
                sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by scott_rn View Post
                  it didn't work well.
                  *Lol* Looks like you had a good time though. Creative idea, using them for coneheads like that, either way.
                  "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

hahaha thats funny

In all seriousness for saltwater fish on a fly rod I think less weight on the fly is better, the line gets it down and if the fly floats above the line which is on or near the bottom it'll have pretty good action...

Would definitely drop that thing on a baitcaster though
                    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt_ak View Post
                      Cool idea and way to recycle *grin*. That last picture on the feathers is outstanding...very nice!
                      My thoughts exactly, redneck with an artistic eye perhaps?...

Looks good to me bud.

Comment

Recycling at it's finest. You need to tie these copperheads in all black.
                        Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X