Epoxy Alevin SBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy Alevin SBS

So this is the alevin pattern I'm fond of using, after trying out several variations of other patterns. Easy and quick to tie.
    Size 6 or 8 hook
    Orange chenille
    Flash & Marabou/Chickabou
    OR - small pearl mylar tubing
    Rubber tubing and black chenille for head/eyes
    Epoxy

I use globug hooks, but any short-shank, wide-gap hook will work. A wide gap hook is necessary to give yourself enough gap around the egg sack.

I take a piece of small rubber tubing that float fisherman use to hold their line to the floats. It's little - like 1/8" OD. (Small silver bead chain eyes will also work.)

So to start I cut a piece about 3/16" long and stick the hook through the middle of it and slide it up to the eye.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Tie in your thread behind the rubber tubing. The hardest part is not crowing the head and squishing the eyes into an oval. Make a small round body with orange chenille. If you want, you can also add a couple lead wraps first under the chenille for extra weight. Alevin should be fished like a nymph - they're not strong swimmers.

This one is going to have a marabou body, so I add a couple pieces of crystal flash.

Comment

Tie in a small clump of marabou (white, gray, grizzly, etc.) on top of the flash.

Trim and tie off.

Comment

Now I take my bobbin threader (or a doubled over piece of wire will work) and pull a doubled over piece of black micro/small chenille through the rubber tubing.

Take your sharpest scissors and trim the chenille on each side of the head. Tip - when you're done, blow away what stray fibers you can from the eyes.

Comment

To do a pearl mylar body - same first steps. The just tie in a 1" piece of tubing for the body. Just lash it to the top.

Then take some SH Hard As Nails and paint a ring around the tubing about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way towards the end/tail. This is just to keep it from unraveling all the way down to the head. Don't cement the whole thing or it'll make it more stiff/less movement. And don't cement the end because we'll unravel that for the tail. Just add a ring about where the brush is in the picture.

Comment

Same steps to finish out. After the SH dries fray the tail a bit.

Comment

Get a few put together and ready for epoxy.

Wrap some epoxy around the eyes, chenille, and body base with a tooth pick and let dry. I like the tubing eyes because it gives a wide, 3D head with the translucent black eyes. But again, bead chain works too. A basic method that can be modified as you see fit. Have fun!

Comment

Wyo2AK. Wow thanks for the lessons. Very interesting and innovative ideas.
                This land is your land, this land is my land

Comment

good idea for the eyes!
                  I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Slick. Thank you for putting this post together.
                    No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

pretty sweet, great SBS.
                      -Tight Lines & head shakin
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great spring pattern.
                          Very creative, and well done SBS.
                          Rep +1 if I were allowed to do so.

To the vise I go (during my lunch break, of course ;-)
                          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X